Author Topic: brand/type of paint youve used?  (Read 2263 times)

fuzzybutt

brand/type of paint youve used?
« on: December 23, 2007, 06:08:06 pm »
i'm getting ready to tear my 750k down to paint the frame and tank and side covers and i'm wondering if therem ight be any suggestions on what brand and/or type of paint thats best for a home shop with not alot of painting experience. i'm doing the frame silver with orange tank/seat/side covers. i do have a decent paint gun and a good compressor with line dryers.

legendary

Re: brand/type of paint youve used?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:47:18 pm »
Fuzzybutt..

whats your deal man? With the stuff you have I would guess you have painted before? Is it the new products that have you confused?

I would recommend you find a Automotive paint supply place in a nearby city. Go in and ask your questions, describe what you are doing. One place near me won't give you the time of day if you aren't a body shop.

The other will spend as much time with you as you need.... talk about your project with interest. Guess who I use ;D (Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint). PPG Makes a good product as well.

I painted with my brother in the 80's and we used acrylic enamel.... today base-coat, clear-coat is the latest product. I have used it and it is really forgiving and produces nice results. But the technology is constantly improving.

If you are doing a garage job remember that these paints give the best results with specific temp and humidity. Which is why some shops don't want to help you ..they fear you will ruin $200 worth of paint and come back blaming them.
You can get a decent result especially on a frame and side covers.. just try to pick a day with approximately the correct temperature and humidity conditions.

fuzzybutt

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 07:38:33 pm »
i've done everything else o n a bike and i HAVE painted before but it was a cheap chassis black i painted a street race mustang with. after all these years of riding great mechanical with ugly cosmetics motorcycles i decided it was time to do one right. i can color sand a buff good, i've just never laid good paint before

legendary

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 07:58:16 pm »
Fuzzybutt,
                 I think you will be fine. A lot easier to get a nice finish on a frame than on a hood.

I think your big hurdle will be finding a decent supplier.  Get your materials and an old door from a Junk yard and shoot on a few coats for practice.

Good Luck with it!

Offline rocky

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 08:31:07 am »
I have used U-tech 3.8 paint with very good results. It is a  one step polyurethane that is very user friendly. You buy the color you want and activator, mix them 3-1 and shoot. No thinners or anything else required. I find that it is not too temperature or humidity sensitive and goes on very easy. The black on frames has a very high gloss, durable and you can  put lots on without runs, it also self levels well and blends in well so you don't get that over-spray effect if you go back to touch-up a spot. On top of that it is very economical.If you have any basic painting skills this paint is very easy to use.    Hope this helps.

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:37:33 am »
Use Dupont ChromaOne with very good results. Available everywhere and can be mixed in spray cans if you do not want to use a gun. Color sands very well and can be cleared if desired on metallics. However, any black will blush if humidity is much over 60%. Good Luck!
Fonda Honda

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:30:55 pm »
Rhyno Liner ;)

Drew
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 06:41:51 pm »
heh another subscriber of the proteal style of painting
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 08:47:05 am »
hmm.... you didn't think I was going to pass up this opportunity did you?

Paint brand: PPG primer, base coat (gold), base coat (white), top coat (pearl), and clear

Not a home job.  Done by the inmates at Dixon Correction Institute.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 09:28:01 am »
I've been using PPG DCC acrylic urethane with hardener over their DP epoxy primer and have been having great results with it.  It is durable and forgiving as long as you use the correct reducer for the temperature you are spraying.

It's a little pricey, tho.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 11:04:34 am »
I am getting ready to have mine painted with BASF Carizzma Candy Orange CZZ-402.
http://www.carizzmacolors.com/paints3.htm
 I am having a painter friend do it, but I will report on how he says it is to shoot. 

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 07:01:36 am »
ppg
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 02:09:24 pm »
hope... that brings new meaning to a teardrop tank... beautiful.

i am a house painter... i like kelly moore for its thicker stew as opposed to soup like qualities.  but, you're probably not interested.  if you are i'll expound. 

i've also rattle canned just about anything and everything, WITH GOOD RESULTS... rustoleum.

but, since i have a new compressor and gun... i'll let you know what i choose and how it goes from this growing list. 
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 03:49:29 pm »

i am a house painter... i like kelly moore for its thicker stew as opposed to soup like qualities.  but, you're probably not interested.  if you are i'll expound. 

i've also rattle canned just about anything and everything, WITH GOOD RESULTS... rustoleum.

but, since i have a new compressor and gun... i'll let you know what i choose and how it goes from this growing list. 
Heffay! How many rattle cans does it take to paint a house???????
Fonda Honda

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 03:59:42 pm »

Heffay! How many rattle cans does it take to paint a house???????

lol... priceless

about 4862.

i have a house paint spraying rig... rattle canned numerous other inanimate objects... and, a few animate ones too i suppose  ;D
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f