Author Topic: !976 Honda 750 K  (Read 1012 times)

sbc1320

!976 Honda 750 K
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:16:53 pm »
Great board. Gotta love these old 750's. Bought this one off of Ebay about 3 months back. Rebuilt the carbs and moved needle jet clip to middle position and bike runs super. Took the flat spot out of the throttle. My only other problem is the neutral light stays on all the time. Put another switch in and still does same thing. I am thinking it works off of ground and guess I should trace wire from under through sprocket area. Wire seems to be tight going thru there and I am thinking it might be touching ground. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem? According to the wiring schematic this neutral wire also ties into the starter motor safety unit. Wondering if this unit could be the problem. My safety switch in the clutch lever housing doens't work or is bypassed. Don't mind that, but I would like the neutral light to work.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: !976 Honda 750 K
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:52:18 am »
After I put my 76f's engine back together, I had the same problem. It would just stay on thew whole time. My problem turned out to be that rubber o-ring that came with my gasket set was too big and didn't let the switch get far enough into the engine. I simply fitted a smaller o-ring and I was back in business.

Do a search. There are quite a few posts on non-working neutral lights.

Hope this helps!
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 05:15:29 am »
welcome
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

sbc1320

Re: !976 Honda 750 K - neutral light
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 05:07:06 pm »
Thanks I will look at it, but it looked like a thin oring that was there and I didn't disturb it. It does dim a little when I put it in gear. I should have pulled the old switch, grounded it, and then work the ball actuator and see if it works. I will try that with the other switch. Don't mind having extra switch as it did come with the harness and plug also. Trying to gather up a bunch of extra parts anyways. Bike doesn't need any of this, but I am planning on keeping it a while. Already have OEM clutch and throttle cables, extra carbs (I already cleaned them), new oil tank hoses (stainless & crimped correctly), extra voltage regulator, rectifier, starter, compete front end, rear wheel , new right side switches, etc.. Bought this bike from grandson of original owner who had just spent around a $1000.00 for tires, chain, rebuilt forks, rebuilt caliper, etc..

Offline CB750F2

• Hot Shot
  • Pat's first Honda 750 F2
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 05:25:55 pm »
Remove the wire from the switch terminal and the light should go out. Ground the wire and the light should come back on. If the light stays on regardless you have a wiring problem or something else is grounding the circuit. Hope this helps, Pat
Regards
Pat from Australia

sbc1320

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 05:52:24 pm »
Yeah I did that so I know that the wire is not grounded and the light went out. Gonna try the old switch and ground it, then push the ball actuator in and out to see what happens.