Author Topic: cr modification  (Read 7209 times)

eldar

cr modification
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:21:14 pm »
When these bikes were being raced, I thought there was some kind of CR kit for them. Is this so and what were the mods? I would like to find out and maybe incorporate them on my bike.

Offline Egil

• Hot Shot
SV: cr modification
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:16:23 pm »
Are you looking after the rear disk conversen whits was on the Japan home marked back then fore the 1977-78  K7/8 mods ?
this whit 2 disks brake  one in front and one at rear ?,if you look closly on the rear wheel  you will see the rear disk.
 see link http://world.honda.com/collection-hall/2r/cb750fourk_html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 05:16:05 am by Egil »
73 de La2vpa.
Egil.

On The Edge.....That`s Where We Live Every Day.
My bike :
http://bike.no/member/photo.php?id=1605

eldar

Re: cr modification
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:53:06 pm »
I could not get the page. Site said it was not found. The cr kit was done in the early 70s I think.

alfabeast

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 05:13:29 pm »
Honda offered a race kit, it was $10K back in the day which was a lot of money then.

I have an excellent article in a 1984 Classic Bike magazine that explains the mods and talks about the kit and track tests John Longs Honda

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 05:32:30 pm »
Honda offered a race kit, it was $10K back in the day which was a lot of money then.

I have an excellent article in a 1984 Classic Bike magazine that explains the mods and talks about the kit and track tests John Longs Honda
I'd like to see that article. Funny thing is you can do most of the mods much better than Honda did(cam chain tensionior, rods etc).
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 05:34:47 pm »
i have an article from 1969.. on the CR kit that won daytona... am waiting to see if i can post it or not... copy right and all...peace

begger it, if its wrong then it can be taken down...

[I resized these images; the originals will be added to the website shortly.]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:04:29 pm by Glenn Stauffer »
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 06:31:53 pm »
NICE!!!! Get it on here man....I'll shave the price of that race port job for you ;)  ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

the_genrl

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 09:46:46 pm »
the number 970 is in my mind from somewhere, reguarding the kit.  click around this site:

http://www.worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/kit.html

This is one of my dream machines too  ;D

Offline Mark M

• Hot Shot
  • This is what the 10 year old me wanted for Xmas
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 07:31:02 am »
M3 racing still make some of the engine parts, meadspeed in the UK can help with bodywork/oil tank and some other stuff.
Lump proof in Aus have a website with a lot of info.
Just do a search, there are quite a few sites dedicated to the CR750, and Dick Mann.

The race kit parts come up on ebay from time to time, but are always highly contested, would you believe $200+ for a Petrol tap?
There is a guy over in France who is confirmed by many to have the orriginal Daytona winning bike from 1970, he makes a lot of pattern parts based on his bike.

finaly, when I can persuade anyone to actually deliver an electronic ignition unit, that works. I will have my version of Dick Manns bike running round the Essex countryside frightening little old ladies.

In the UK anything over 40 years old only needs insurance and Fuel.

eldar

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 01:21:12 pm »
Good article. I would like to do the engine and suspension mods. The cafe look I can do without though. I like to sit up.

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 05:40:01 pm »
mate i would just love a cafe that looked like that!!!
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

eldar

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 05:58:09 pm »
Hey everyone has their style! I dont like cafe but I dont like crotch rockets either. I think it is the whole position thing.

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 08:20:43 pm »
agreed, i cant do the crouch thing, busted my spine 18months ago... hence why my F1 is in such good condition... No a nice upright ride is good for me....i just think the CR looks unreal...peace

the_genrl

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:22:26 pm »
that is a neat looking mag cben750f1!  i'd hold on to that one thats for sure. (i bet you already had that in mind)

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 09:48:41 pm »
yep in plastic sleave, and plastic hard cover folder... ;D..got a heap more articles if ppl are interested?

sander

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 11:57:15 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm kinda new to the board, been lurking for a while though ;D..
I'm in the progress of building a CR750 replica ( got most major parts now), but/and would really appreciate if someone has the images posted here of the magazine (cycle magazine oct 1970 ) in a higher resolution? I already tried to contact him (e-mail/PM) ,but can't seem to get through?!...

All help greatly appreciated! A fellow honda enthousisast.

Sander (from the Netherlands).

kettlesd

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 01:20:06 pm »
Holy Jeezus - that is one fine looking motorcycle!

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 03:59:29 pm »

cben & Daniel and anyone I might have missed,

Thanks guys for the links to the info about the CR, it was a real blast seeing that stuff. I
         can only imagine what it would be like to see that sucker run, much less ride it.

Later on, Bill 
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 04:51:28 pm »
When these bikes were being raced, I thought there was some kind of CR kit for them. Is this so and what were the mods? I would like to find out and maybe incorporate them on my bike.

Why, have you won a lottery or robbed a bank ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

sander

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 02:03:31 am »
Hi guys,

EDIT: I have gotten through to Ben, he promised to help me soon, he was very busy at the moment, so it took a while to respond.
Or maybe I was being overenthousiastic impatient.... ;D

thanks for all the great links, but unfortunately for me I was already aware of those. i have gathered quite a collection of images and data plus movies on the cr750 over the last 3 years, but i've never seen this magazine. Since it's from the era, and pictures from that time are always very low res, I was very lucky to find this post; only too find out that the images are too small once again.

@everyone:
I have specific interest in the 5 pages posted by cben750f1  ( Cycle Magazine, oct. 1970 )
The resolution is too small to make out good details/and read it properly. He was referring to putting them online somewhere, but I have not been able to locate them ( in the gallery for instance)...

@Samcr750: since you have been making a nice cr750 replica ( do you maybe have the pages I am referring to? )

Anyway, all help greatly appreciated, and I can/will ofcourse send some of my pics/data in return.
I got images and movies shot a spa franchorchamps last three years, some article in Bikers Classic on the m3.
Many from the web,  a lot through contact with other enthousiasts etc etc.

For example

errr. How to post a pic on this board?! ???

Ps. I am the owner of a:

CB750 K7 (to become CR750)
Cb750 F1
CB750 F2

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:21:35 am by sander »

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 08:01:07 am »
the actual 970 CR engine mods were never intended for a street engine and I think replicating them on a street bike is a recipe for disaster. Chances are you'll have to run race fuel because of the high compression, and god forbid you get stuck in traffic. I think you can probably get the same hp out of a big bore kit, proper cam, and carbs, and still be streetable. 90rwhp is a lot for any bike, espically a SOHC so it is better to build the engine with streetability in mind.

The reason there are so few 970 kits around is that honda bought back or recalled almost all of the kits after 1970 and (supposedly) destroyed them. Some stuff never made it back and foud its way into other forms of racing. For instance one of the drag front ends I have has CR750 brakes and wheel but on stock forks. The original hub has been relaced with an akront front wheel instead of the DIDs the kits came with. I was offered the CR tach too but I passed on it because I felt the seller wanted too much for something that was non functioning. It might show up on ebay soon.

AS for suspension mods, finding an original set of 970 forks is going to be expensive. I'd like to think that the new stuff that is out there now for our bikes is better than this 70's stuff ever was.
Maintenance Matters Most

isred

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 11:35:01 am »
Just wondering if any other company's may have made a twin leading rear bake plate for the 750? maybe for chopper applications or such. Just bought something off ebay and it hasnot arrived yet to see if it fits, but it was cheep so if it does not fit no big deal.It was pretty cheap , so I took a chance.. when it arrives I will post some pics. thanks brent

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 01:13:40 pm »
M3 carries the rear magnesium brake hub replica; $3500+ and spokes not included.
970 is the middle 3 digit part number code for CR750 parts (CB750 K0-K1 is 300 code, CB750 K2-K6 is 341 code)

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:27:07 pm »
Ben, it's weird that you mention a CR cafe.  The 750 Cafe I have planned is going to basically be a naked CR750.  Can't stand fairings, so I'm keeping it uncovered.

It's gonna be streetable, but barely, and will incorporate the latest suspension and engine tricks, which I'm sure are better than 30+ years ago.

What makes me cry is the price of that M3 rear brake.  I WANT one so bad, but am not sure if I can justify the price.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:55 pm »
Hi Groovie, nice to hear from you again, are you back home yet ?

I really do agree with you, the CR does look good naked.

On our CR, we run the stock hub with a custom made vented twin leading shoe mechanisum.

The shoes and leaverage system are from a CB160 front brake.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike