Author Topic: cr modification  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
Re: cr modification
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 12:01:41 am »
For what's it's worth - which is a lot more than I can afford - the magnesium CR rear hub replica is also available for 2050- Eur ($2,650) through http://www.motocicliveloci.it/inglese/catalogue/frenitamburo_uk.htm, or through Disco Volante in the UK at http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/showpage.do?page=Brakes for L1260 ($2,500). Of course, with currency fluctuations these prices could be as much as 20% off. RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 12:57:34 am »
Hi Groovie, nice to hear from you again, are you back home yet ?

I really do agree with you, the CR does look good naked.

On our CR, we run the stock hub with a custom made vented twin leading shoe mechanisum.

The shoes and leaverage system are from a CB160 front brake.

Sam. ;)

Not home yet.  Still enjoying the beautiful Afghan mountains.  Just planning my cafe projects for when I get home gives my mind something to focus on that is not trying to kill me.

Now how much better is the TLS rear set-up compared to the SLS stock item?  I recall from period tests that they said the rear brake was very powerful, but hard to modulate, making it easy to lock.  Is the TLS brake more"powerful" or easier to modulate?  Does it fade less than the stock item?

Basically, what would I gain by going to a TLS rear set-up, either the CR-style, or a homebuild like yours?

Offline TomC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 06:55:04 am »
Hi GroovieGhoulie
     I assume that you will be running a sticky front tire and very good front disk brakes. All most all the weight of the bike will be on the front tire in a hard stop. If you do a brakey(sp?) then all of your weight is on the front tire. The goal for the rear brake should be to make the most of what little traction is there. A twin leading shoe brake is going to be toucher that single leading shoe.
     If I were doing this I would try to find twin leading shoe brake that I could install as a twin trailing shoe brake. If my visualisation is correct swapping sides will do this. A trailing shoe wants to not lock up. A trailing shoe produces a smaller increase in braking force for a given increase in force on the brake pedal. If you do this the rear brake will be very hard when used for a slow stop on the street. But will work great when rolling backwards.
          TomC
TomC in Ohio
76 CB750 F1 Daily Rider
76 CB550 stalled project
76 CB400F Injured Reserve

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 11:46:34 am »
Hey samcr750, a pic of that CB160/CB750 hybrid rear brake set-up would help figure this out; you use a CB750 hub w/ a CB160 brake panel, shoes and levers??? They're same diameter and line up? What do you use for the brake cable, or do you use a stock CB750 brake rod?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 05:59:03 pm »
Hi Groovie, nice to hear from you again, are you back home yet ?

I really do agree with you, the CR does look good naked.

On our CR, we run the stock hub with a custom made vented twin leading shoe mechanisum.

The shoes and leaverage system are from a CB160 front brake.

Sam. ;)

Not home yet.  Still enjoying the beautiful Afghan mountains.  Just planning my cafe projects for when I get home gives my mind something to focus on that is not trying to kill me.

Now how much better is the TLS rear set-up compared to the SLS stock item?  I recall from period tests that they said the rear brake was very powerful, but hard to modulate, making it easy to lock.  Is the TLS brake more"powerful" or easier to modulate?  Does it fade less than the stock item?

Basically, what would I gain by going to a TLS rear set-up, either the CR-style, or a homebuild like yours?

Hi Groovie, I'm not sure how much better the twin leader is as I have only been on a stocker once and that was way back in the early 70s, I got the chance to blast one down a drag strip with all the time in the world to stop.

Much the same with Chrises bike, I have only ridden it a few times down a strip.

I would think it would be better otherwise why would manufacturers fit them to the front ends of sports bikes as they did in the day.

Keep yer head down Groovie.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 06:09:16 pm »
Hi GroovieGhoulie
     I assume that you will be running a sticky front tire and very good front disk brakes. All most all the weight of the bike will be on the front tire in a hard stop. If you do a brakey(sp?) then all of your weight is on the front tire. The goal for the rear brake should be to make the most of what little traction is there. A twin leading shoe brake is going to be toucher that single leading shoe.
     If I were doing this I would try to find twin leading shoe brake that I could install as a twin trailing shoe brake. If my visualisation is correct swapping sides will do this. A trailing shoe wants to not lock up. A trailing shoe produces a smaller increase in braking force for a given increase in force on the brake pedal. If you do this the rear brake will be very hard when used for a slow stop on the street. But will work great when rolling backwards.
          TomC

Hi Tom, you're spot on with you're analysis but, a twin trailer would not be as efective as a single leader.

On the CR, we swapped the pivot points for the cam points to covert it back to leading link.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 06:20:30 pm »
Hey samcr750, a pic of that CB160/CB750 hybrid rear brake set-up would help figure this out; you use a CB750 hub w/ a CB160 brake panel, shoes and levers??? They're same diameter and line up? What do you use for the brake cable, or do you use a stock CB750 brake rod?

Hi 736, The brake plate we used was a custom made one in the style of the factory front  brakes on the 125 and 250 machines.

The CB160 shoes, leavers and pivot and cam gear are used but the cable was custom made.

I don't yet have any pics yet but will post them when I get them.

If you go  back a few post to Ricky Racers post, click onto the discovolante site then scroll down untill you come to a RC163 replica front brake.
This looks the same but back to front.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline TomC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 07:44:04 pm »
Hi samcr750
     "Hi Tom, you're spot on with you're analysis but, a twin trailer would not be as efective as a single leader."
     Why do you care about the effectiveness of the rear brake? In a hard stop you should be able to lock the rear tire with out much effort with a very ineffective rear brake.
          TomC

TomC in Ohio
76 CB750 F1 Daily Rider
76 CB550 stalled project
76 CB400F Injured Reserve

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 08:10:02 pm »
Tom, have you ever tried to stop one of these things from 150mph, you would strugle to lock any wheel at that speed.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92