Author Topic: Clubman Mounting  (Read 5576 times)

Offline dachoklit1

Clubman Mounting
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
Good day everyone. Just got back from Iraq and want to start on my bike. I have clubmans but am having a problem mounting the controls on them. I noticed the old handlebars had holes to run the wires through... My clubmans do not.:-( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Happy Holidays to you all!

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
Re: Clubman Mounting
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:26:22 pm »
Welcome aboard and welcome home!

I'm coming up on the same situation with my clubmans, and I'm hoping to be able to route the wires through the bars (by drilling holes of course) and having them exit a single hole between the bar clamps. This is assuming of course, that my bars have a clear path for the wires around the sharp internal corners and that I can navigate the wires around those corners without buggering up the insulation. The other option is to notch the control housings and run the wires externally, but I'm saving that as a last resort.
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:35:49 pm »
  Notching gets the job done w/ a minimum of hassle. A modified bike often gets....modified. Sometimes a little hacking can ok, as long it doesn't cause safety issues or major aesthetic boogers.

Offline dachoklit1

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:20:41 pm »
OK, how do I go about 'notching' the controls? A dremel too perhaps?

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 01:56:03 pm »
dremel or hacksaw

Offline dachoklit1

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 02:04:01 pm »
Thanks ya'll! Going to Wal-Mart right now!

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:05:10 pm »
...fasten the wire to the middle of the string. That way you can pull the string back through for the next wire.

Thanks for the tip! Don't think I would have thought of that one...I was envisioning having to thread a string through for each individual wire.  :)
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 08:12:04 am »
Anyone tried this,
For a clean look with 1/2 the work.

drill underside of bar to let wire in, the drill exit hole at the end of the bar (out the side of the tip of the "U" piece)

Then you dont see wires under the switch housing, but eliminate getting the wires through the bends.

Now you just got to worry about hiding the extra wire length..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 09:39:02 am »
the notching idea is a good one..and if one were serious about the looks they could add sleaving over the wires to dress up their appearance.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

jesus freek

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 11:10:01 am »
The notching idea is a good one.I did that with my drag bars.Also there is a small pin in each of the controls that have to be removed before you can reattach.{what a pain in the butt} If you bought bars with holes predrilled for this, you wont have to do this. I like the idea of notching with a dremmel.I never thought of that.A tool small enough to control.I on the other hand used my drill with a metal cutting disk,very hard to control.I'll have to do so minor touch up paint in the near future to clean it up."Notching" sounds easy but to me no way.I would also be interested in hearing more on the hack saw method. It seemed as though when I was notching mine I notched the bottom control and I cut almost to the bottom of that control so the wires could run out and onto the bars.I zip tied the wires to the bars,tucked the additional wires in the headlight bucket.I to am a rookie at this and picked up on some of this info here.I hope if I have done something wrong someone should correct me.

Offline merc2dogs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 12:10:23 pm »
I normally draw an arc on the housing that will fit the wire, then use a hacksaw to cut down to just above the line in several places, break out the resulting 'fingers' with needle nose pliers, and use a round file to finish to the line. Then radius the edge to eliminate sharp spots that may nick the wires.

For a jacket I played around with a few things, then ended up using some braided nylon rope the same color as my bike, Also filed the notch a little deeper so I could place the braid inside and have a finished effect.  Looks pretty nice, though I'm thinking of changing rope color.

ken

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 12:23:53 pm »
Drill a hole for the notch, then cut the sides with a saw or dremel

To pull the pin out I use vise-grips to clamp on then tap it out . The pin is there though to prevent the control swiveling when you go down, so you wiring does not get sheared off.

Myself I only run a 72 or down right hand control.
dodogas99@gmail.com

jesus freek

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 12:49:35 pm »
 ;D Awesome suggestions!! Where were you guys a couple of weeks ago???????

jesus freek

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 12:51:18 pm »
Whats the 75 or down control? How much different is it compared to my 75 cb 550 control?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 01:04:37 pm »
72 and down has throttle, headlight/on/low/high and a starter/horn button all on one side. Be careful though buying online, ask about how the switch feels.. they tended to melt and screw up internally especially if you ran a hotter headlight.

A cheap alternative is to use any of the earlier right sides for  cable brake models and cut off the lever perch.

Allows you to run a custom lever on the left side for cleaner appearance. And only have to deal with one wire bundle into headlight.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 01:48:13 pm »
how about you throw away the clubmans and get a real set of handlebars....I would not go lower than a set of drag bars unless you are planning on installing rearsets as well.

clubman bars were devloped for stock production racing in england in the 1950s. As such the setup is ideal for small displacement european bikes which are narrow. Fat wide japanese fours always have a hard time with clubman bars for this reason.

I also think it is turning your bike into a torture rack to run them without appropriate rearsets (unless you are really short). It sucks that clubmans are the "fashionable" cafe accessory because it tends to draw the newbies like moth to a flame.

you should never run wires down the bends on clubmans as they fray over time (ask me how I know). I have a set of honda accessory clubamans and the in hole and the out hole are right next to each other.

Personally I like to notch the control or just get 1977-78 bar controls as they are already external.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 02:32:25 pm »
Good advice Geeto and I think if you can try clubmans first this would be the ideal. Of course you can have variation on the clubman bar - I have tomessellis which have a less severe downward angle than stock clubmans. You also try clipons which have variable angle as well. You dont have to have rearsets to be comfortable. I dont have them and can ride 300 miles before on my cafe before getting sore and thats more due to the seat - a Guiliari which has minimal padding!

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 07:51:54 am »
tomaselli used to make different sized clubamns for large displacement japanese inline fours, which is why they tend to fit better. They also came in different drop sizes so it is possible to get a clubman bar that might be less uncomfortable than those ebay cheapies. The Tomaselli adjustable bars are probably the best if you are dead set on a clubman bar.

The ideal rider position is to have wrists straight, back straight and legs at a 90 degree bend to your torso. With clubmans without rearsets your back will arch concave, and the angle between your torso and legs is les than 90 degrees, not to mention that your hands and wirsts will be slightly bent (because your back is concave) and you are putting a lot of pressure on your bent wrists. low bars (clubmans and rearsets and sometimes drag bars) without rearsets will often lead to lower back problems, severe leg cramps, and wrist cramps, and it gets worse if your seat height is lowered too. A lot of this depends also on your height, a person who is 5'5" will not really have the same position problems as a person who is 6'5", and ther taller you are the more uncomfortable it will likely be. Lowering the seat can take a lot off your wrists but you can still suffer from leg cramp/ lower back pain.

of course the older you are the worse it feels sometimes...when I was 20 I could ride a cb750 with clubmans and no rearsets and think ok, this is slightly uncomfortable but I look damn cool. Now that I am 30 the same setup is not cool enough for me to ride it for more than 15 minutes. who knows how I will feel by the time I am 40.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 08:45:58 am »
Well Im screwed then as Im 36, 6`4 and ride my 750 K2 with tomaselli bars and no rearsets - wouldnt be possible to have rearsets with my long legs - tried them before on a CB750 with cheapo clubmans and could hardly move.

I am raising the back end slightly with CB1100F shocks (14`) so will be interesting to see what difference this will make. I rode all last summer on this bike and it wasnt uncomfortable until around the 250 -300 mile mark and then it was leg cramps only.

But still very good advice Geeto!

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 08:56:12 am »
andy, you and I are about the same height (I'm 6'5"), but it just goes to show you different body types yeild different results. I have/had raask rearsets and they were hella uncomfortable to me, but the set I made to go through my passenger pegs worked really well. Stock pegs with clubmans and a stock seat used to cramp me up something awful. 

I guess my only point was you can't just assume you can change one thing that relates to rider position on a bike and think everything is going to be hunky dory. Smart bike builders, take all aspects of riding position into effect and just throwing parts at a bike hardly ever gets good results.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 09:23:51 am »
Geeto I agree with you there. I wouldnt ride a bike that was uncomfortable. Im no builder, but Im no follower of fashion either. With my setup I have a lower profile and find this bike is a lot of fun riding the twisty back roads outside Boston - its more of a fun day bike compared to my K4 with Euro bars/stock seat/stiff rear shocks (soon!) which is more for long distance touring one or two-up.

cheers
Andy

Current bikes

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 10:14:04 am »
OK, how do I go about 'notching' the controls? A dremel too perhaps?
i did that to mine and it looks like dog doo,im going to try the inside again sometime in the near future.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 10:51:17 am »
i have clip-ons that are lower than clubmans, and really it's not that uncomfortable. i'm 5'7", so that helps, but i think it depends on how you ride. even with my bars as low as they are, my weight is not on my wrists when i ride, and with my knees hugging the tank, i think it gives me a great center of gravity for cornering. i wouldn't want this setup for going cross-country, but i've done many all day rides in the twisties, and in the end the only thing really sore was my ass (too thin foam) and my throttle wrist (too tight a return spring). it does force me to use my entire body more, but i think that is good. i think drag bars are much more uncomfortable than clubmans, as they force your wrists to an unnatural angle.

when i ride my cb750 with stock bars all day, my arms get tired from holding them up to the bars. guess it's all relative to your own body. i'm a fan of euro bars if you're looking for sleek but not too low, but hey- to each his or her own.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 01:41:24 pm »
For reference here is my setup:

and riding position

Note bar position, no rear sets and low seat due to less padding (this is where it gets you!).

cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:42:59 pm by andy750 »
Current bikes

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 01:53:18 pm »
anyone know much about the superbike style handle bars? thats what im most likely am gonna be fitting to most of my bikes since my back will not handle clip ons or clubmans...the only reason i can handle clip ons on the VF is because its a raised S/T style clip on.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)