Author Topic: Aftermarket or OEM??  (Read 3382 times)

Offline LoopsAndLogic

• Hot Shot
  • Dang IT!!!
Aftermarket or OEM??
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:04:52 pm »
I have a question. When choosing a set of fork seals and dust boots, would you choose the OEM ($25 each for the seal and $24 for a dust boot) or an aftermarket Bikemaster/Parts Unlimited set for $15 for everything??

I have a few pits in the chrome legs as well, but how should I go about fixing them??

It's my first time changing front fork seals on a CB this old.... I've changed a few CB650 and GL500 SW's, but that's it!

I guess I should have said, 2 questions ;D

Cheers,

LL
My rides:
75' 76' Honda CB400F Super Sports
86' Honda XR600R for Street Madness
84' Honda Interceptor VF500

Past Rides:
80' Honda CX500C Fully Dressed
81' Honda CB650C very nice!
83' Kawasaki KZ550 A3
78' Hondamatic 400 Hawk
80' 81' 82' Honda GL500 Silverwing Insterstate

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Aftermarket or OEM??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 05:55:41 pm »
Some seals are better than others..more lips or better design, but generally most seals will work. Cant say OEM will be better.
HD 35 mm narrow glide should interchange, just tuck that away in case your seals screw up on the road.

If your tubes are pitted, you cant expect very long seal life.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline LoopsAndLogic

• Hot Shot
  • Dang IT!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 06:17:09 pm »
That's where I'm hoping someone could help me on this problem as well.

Good idea by the way,

LL
My rides:

Past Rides:
83' Kawasaki KZ550 A3
78' Hondamatic 400 Hawk

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 06:21:49 pm »
For top quality and fit nothing beats OEM, Honda parts are really top notch. But there's a big difference in price so it would depend on your budget.

Aftermarket parts are fine, just don't put them side by side with the OEMs.

Before installing make sure to remove any surface irregularities from the fork sliders to prevent damage to the seals, other than that there's little you can do. There are some services that repair pitted fork legs or you can look for a good used set.
Baja native.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 06:27:03 pm »
I always "linish" pitted fork legs when I change the seals (and most after-market fork seals I've used have worked fine) with a "worn" piece of emery cloth, that I've "worn" by running it over my vice a few times to take the "bite" out of it, the benefit here is that it'll smooth the edge off the pitting, so the pits don't bite into the seal. It's an old trick that a bike mechanic showed me years ago, and has worked well for me. Of course, if you can buy some better tubes, then you should. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline LoopsAndLogic

• Hot Shot
  • Dang IT!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 06:30:35 pm »
I remember someone telling me to use Epoxy that's automotive tough, and when it's fully dried into the pit, go over the small pit with 2000grit sandpaper and work your way up until you can't feel a single snag.

Does this sound like the best idea. Or am I just putting more scratches in the chrome?? ::) ::)

Nobodies shocks could be perfect. So how do you guys deal with this??

I would think emery cloth would still put lines in the chrome. Or, because the lines are following the motion of the forks, the seals would just form groves to accommodate these lines??

LL

My rides:

Past Rides:
83' Kawasaki KZ550 A3
78' Hondamatic 400 Hawk

Offline LoopsAndLogic

• Hot Shot
  • Dang IT!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 06:33:08 pm »
Also, before I head to bed. I just wanted to let you know, that the forks on the 400F must be a pretty cheap chrome job.

Cause with all the forks I've seen at the junk yards, and after asking sellers on Evilbay, they are always pitted!

No Joke!

LL
My rides:

Past Rides:
83' Kawasaki KZ550 A3
78' Hondamatic 400 Hawk

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 06:51:27 pm »
The emery cloth does scratch the chrome mate, but if your forks are pitted anyway, no biggie. I've heard of guys using epoxy to fill the pits, I doubt if it's a permanent solution, but might work for a while.

2000 grit sandpaper would have less bite than your handkerchief though, so you might need to knock the excess epoxy down with a much courser grade initially then use the 2000 to polish it to a glass like finish.

All Japanese "hard chroming" of forks back in the 1970's was crap, you can get them re-hard chromed (not decorative chroming) at places that recondition hydraulic rams for earthmoving equipment and it'll be much better quality. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 07:18:25 pm »
While I would recommend it sparingly and gently, you can use a bench grinder with a buffing pad along with some white rouge, or if necessary Tripoli compound, to gently smooth the pitted areas. Although you won't remove much chrome, you do have to keep in mind that you need to polish evenly, as conceptually I guess you could flat spot. Another alternative might be the inexpensive legs that Cycle X is selling. I also agree that the epoxy seems like a short lived fix.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 08:00:52 pm »
Aftermarket tubes will be decorative chrome which is softer and prone to  pitting or scratching.

I have seen a few aftermaket forks that are a bit undersize which would not help either. If you try to get decorative chrome redone.. regardless of price, the tube will probably be out of round and undersize when you get them back!! Shiny..still junk..but Shiny junk!!!

Hardchrome is the way to go, duller but way harder.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 11:17:34 pm »
As far as the seals go, you will find single lipped or double lipped seals. I can't guarantee that all Honda replacement seals are double lipped but the last ones I bought were. The way I figure it, double lipped seals are like double seals.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 01:04:32 am »
I can recommend the CycleX fork tubes, I've got them on my bike, and they're excellent quality. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 05:34:16 am »
Forks by Frank (or whatever they are exactly called) are excellent quality, definitely not some aftermarket "junk."  Also have a pair of aftermarket purchased from David Silver's for my GL1000 front end that are very, very nice.  Definitely hard chrome.  OEM is nice for a restoration of if you find a sweet deal but there are plenty of quality aftermarket options. Oh and I used "Leak Proof" seals with the replacement GL pieces.  Work(ed) nice . . . . . . Here's a pic of the DSS supplied (don't know who manufactures them) GL forks.  Note the satin hard chrome finish.  Actually a bit less shiny than stock . . .
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 05:50:27 am by eurban »

Offline LoopsAndLogic

• Hot Shot
  • Dang IT!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 06:39:13 am »
Is cycle-X the websites name or the brand of the forks??

I looked at DDS, but there way too much to ship :o :o

After looking at epoxy, it says it's oil and gas proof that can withstand 1200psi. I guess I have to knock the edges off
the forks and then fill them.

I will look into that double lip. That never occurred to me.

This stinks! It seems like all the expensive stuff on my bike is going or needing replacement. LOL

LL
My rides:

Past Rides:
83' Kawasaki KZ550 A3
78' Hondamatic 400 Hawk

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 07:17:21 am »
It's "Forking by Frank".  Here's the website;

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline c_kyle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 07:56:51 am »
I have had the LeakProof seals and dust boots on for about 8 months or so.  The seals are holding up great, but the dust boots suck.  They always ride up after about 10 minutes on the road.
Izanami, my 1979 CB650Z:  Clicky

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 08:25:12 am »
How many of you have miked your replacement forks?? I have seen at least one that was a bit too far under for brand new. Just being shiny and fitting the bike does not a good fork make.

I do some work for a guy that builds custom front end assemblies. Some forks we shorten for a couple reasons, one being to put in an air lift assembly. Anyway after checking a few hundred sets it has come to light that tolerances can be a bit sloppy., but OEM never were.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 09:35:49 am »
Is cycle-X the websites name or the brand of the forks??

I looked at DDS, but there way too much to ship :o :o

After looking at epoxy, it says it's oil and gas proof that can withstand 1200psi. I guess I have to knock the edges off
the forks and then fill them.

I will look into that double lip. That never occurred to me.

This stinks! It seems like all the expensive stuff on my bike is going or needing replacement. LOL

LL

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Honda%20Page.htm

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 11:47:09 am »
How many of you have miked your replacement forks?? I have seen at least one that was a bit too far under for brand new. Just being shiny and fitting the bike does not a good fork make.

I do some work for a guy that builds custom front end assemblies. Some forks we shorten for a couple reasons, one being to put in an air lift assembly. Anyway after checking a few hundred sets it has come to light that tolerances can be a bit sloppy., but OEM never were.
Nope never precisely measured my new forks.  They are hard chrome, went together without a hitch, with 3K miles they still look new, perform well and were recommended  by a reputable Honda spares dealer who also could have sold me OEM tubes.  Forking by Frank has been around for a good long while and seem to have an excellent reputation.  Like many replacement parts, I am sure there is a wide range of quality but in my experience there are certainly some decent aftermarket options when it comes to fork tubes.   BTW, Cyclexchange's fork tubes are hard chrome as well . . . .

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 02:59:04 pm »
What he said. I've had no problem with after-market stuff from reputable dealers like CycleX and DSS, these guys aren't "fly-by-night-ers", they have a reputation to uphold, and know that there's no point selling craap, as it'll just reflect poorly on them. I'd say that the CycleX tubes are just as good, or better, than OEM. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Patrick

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 08:00:42 pm »
L&L, just a thought... did you check a parts fiche (here's a decent one with actual Honda parts numbers: http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp?vcc=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda&year=1969) to find out what fork tubes from that era might cross over from lesser sought models?

The fork tubes in my K0 are actually from a more recent 750, but they had the same Honda part number. Might broaden your search for used parts a bit.

I had to change all of the hardware from the actual K0 tubes to the replacement set, but the tube itself is identical.

Patrick
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline LoopsAndLogic

• Hot Shot
  • Dang IT!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 02:22:16 pm »
Thanks guys for all the help, but I'm going to try fixing the forks.

I'm heading to my dealership tomorrow, and I'm going to go see what prices they want for forks.

And trying the aftermarket forks sound like a high risk.....a risk that I couldn't afford.

LL
My rides:

Past Rides:
83' Kawasaki KZ550 A3
78' Hondamatic 400 Hawk

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 02:35:38 pm »
I bet you can't afford new OEM forks either, ha ha! ;D

Offline Patrick

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 02:57:12 pm »
Yeah, my parts fiche shows the tube alone at $125..... That's for one....
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline jevfro

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB750 K5
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 03:21:29 pm »

L&L, just a thought... did you check a parts fiche (here's a decent one with actual Honda parts numbers: http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp?vcc=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda&year=1969) to find out what fork tubes from that era might cross over from lesser sought models?
+1  Also there might be a a whole fork assembly from another model that isn't the exact same part but might be a good replacement or upgrade! 

Keep looking, they're out there... you might just find some old ones for cheap in the parts for sale section here.  That's what I did w/ my cb750k5.

In the meantime...
I've read on here somewhere about ppl using jbweld to fill those pits in.  I would think it should work well if you're careful w/ your sanding and aren't too concerned about cosmetics.

Good luck!
 I guess hard chroming is even more expensive that deco chrome?