Author Topic: '76 CB750F  (Read 1952 times)

legendary

'76 CB750F
« on: December 22, 2007, 05:12:18 pm »

Guys,
        haven't been on the forum long....but I have read enough to know I have a lot to learn. I found SOHC after I bought this project....1976 CB750F with ~25K miles.

It has a clean title and .... some decent parts.  I went looking for something that I could rebuild my way and not ruin a decent restorable bike. Looks a lot better in this pic than in person. Can't see it very well from this angle..but the tank, gauges, signals were bashed in with a hammer??? Exhaust header is gone, and I have the original carbs in a box.

I am about to tackle dismantling it.

What is the first mistake I am going to make?? ;D

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
Re: '76 CB750F
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:31:04 pm »
"What is the first mistake I am going to make??"

Thinking you could ruin it?
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:48:06 pm »
Try and keep all the separate parts in separate storage boxes of some sort......it makes it a little easier to if they are labelled.......or strong clear plastic sealable bags...

and take lots of photos for your reference when it comes to putting it back together..

Are you doing a complete motor out, frame up restoration or just general clean up and ride ?

It is looking reasonbale condition at the moment - all the accessories damaged can be replaced...

good luck with it..

johnrtse

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:48:34 pm »
I really like that seat!

john

Offline Bodain

• Hot Shot
  • I love the smell of fresh asphalt in the morning!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:58:06 am »
The first mistake will be thinking you have enough money to cover it and thinking you can recover that money when you sell it.

It will be fun though.
2009 Suzuki TU250
2014 Honda Grom
1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750
2005 Yamaha Zuma 50
1974 Honda CB 750
1979 Kawasaki Z750 Twin

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 07:08:51 am »
The first mistake? thinking you need to dismantle it to fix it and dismantling it before testing all the systems. If it were me I would rebuild the carbs, borrow or buy an exhaust and at least test fire the motor to see if she has any strange noises. This will tell you if you need to rebuild the motor or just pull it out of the frame and polish the cases. I would also test the electrical system to see what works and what doesn't and make the repairs before disassembly.

Why is this important, well it turns disassembly into take apart - refurbish - put back together instead of chasing problems that you weren't sure you had before.  Saves you a lot of time knowing it worked perfectly before you took it apart. Make a list of problem areas that you need to fix from testing and be organized. Most people disassembly a bike for cosmetic refurbishment - disassembling and reassembling doesn't really "Fix" anything, nor does it help diagnose much (there are a few things that would otherwise be hard to spot).

Looking at your bike I see no reason to take her down to the frame unless you wanted to paint the frame and do a full nut and bolt style resto.

When ever I work on bikes I go and buy a pad of little square notes and zip lock bags, When I take something apart I write on the note square what is going in the ziploc bag before I put it in. This way I can reuse bags for other projects later without having writing all over them and I can add and subtract parts from the bag. I keep all the bags In a milk crate or two. I also built a test tank for testing bike engines when the bike's original tank is no good. Usually this is just a plastic tank on a stand with a tap and a line that holds a 3-4 quarts of fuel (dirt bike oil tanks are ideal for this).   
Maintenance Matters Most

legendary

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:59:09 pm »
Guys
   With your advice, the help of my 15 yr old and 11 year old sons, and a warm day.... the motor is out and the bike is in boxes...and zip lock bags.

Neat thing I found today- The bike has an aftermarket ignition. DYNA 000!!

What a great day guys... thanks!

SOHC4 is awesome!

333- Thinking you could ruin it?

;D Too Late!

750goes- Are you doing a complete motor out, frame up restoration or just general clean up and ride ?

I have it down to the frame, I'm sending the motor out, replacing the suspension..a modern spin on a cafe.
The clear bags and Black Marker idea was excellent! Electrical is going to be replaced too. I enjoy working on old cars and on bikes, and I like riding. I don't like to plan a day of riding and end up wrenching instead >:(. I am kind of anal so if I am riding something I do not have confidence in- I cannot enjoy myself.

johnrtse- I really like that seat!

John, that seat is not part of my future plans. If you are serious send me an e-mail. Its actually in really good shape.

Whitt_Travis-  Removing those sweet flame stickers from the side covers.

Whitt- my favorite comment!! Unfortunately, the side cover mounting tabs are broken.  I wonder if I could find a source for a new flame sticker set.....NOT! ;D

Bodain-  first mistake will be thinking you have enough money to cover it and that you can recover that money.....

This is a hobby, not an investment..... money in- experiences out. I am good with that  :)

Geeto67- Is that 1967 GTO? If so the baggie and post-it note trick probably came from restoring old cars...and it applies to the bikes too.

I talked to the guy who is building the engine about the vandalism on the bike. I could see his wheels turning. He had mentioned getting it running first to get a feel for what it needed. Then he changed his mind. "Nope just pull it and bring it over. I don't want to run it and do some more harm." He is a straight shooter and has done many CB750's. I decided to go with his word on that.

johnrtse

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »
Sent you a PM about the seat!

John

Offline spitfire

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 01:59:40 am »
Great to see another F on the road to recovery, finished rebuilding my 1976 F last year and it was all worth it.
To help put it back together lots of photos of your own bike and other bikes of same year/model are invaluable, plus the parts book.

Good luck

Den
Wirral UK
1976 CB750F1 bought new in 76
1977 CB750F2: Restoration started
1964 BSA A65R: Waiting restoration
My gallery is here: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/spitfire/?g2_navId=x5a30f7b6

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 05:06:02 am »
I've got a few parts left over the cafe-ing of my 76f. PM me if you're looking for anything. I'll see if I've got it lying around. (gotta get onto ebay with all that stuff some day...)
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:42:49 am »
Good start. If you don't have a Honda Shop Manual I would advise either getting one or downloading it.

Also, once you get it on the road stay away from the previous owner's ex-wife. Looks like she swings a mean hammer  ;D

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 02:03:45 pm »
hey another 76f.  if you don't mind updating it......78F forks and brakes and wheels are the way to go (dual front brakes).  I currently have the wider 76 gl1000 front end on mine with the dual brakes off the 78F, these are slightly bigger diameter forks with slightly wider spacing.  only had to change the bottom neck bearing to make the gl1000 neck fit.  rides smooth and stable, stops great as well.  i do highly recommend the braided brake lines from Z1 enterprises, they are well worth the money, and cheaper than the same lines from dennis kirk.  Good luck and i'll post some pics when i fix my camera connnection.
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

legendary

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 04:46:33 am »
Matt,
         thanks for the recommendations on the fork alternatives. Believe it or not, I am going with '03-'07 Suzuki SV650 components for the suspension. I am not the first to do it.

Dual front disc brakes will be nice....

It is going to be different to say the least.... I want to build my vision of what a cafe racer would do to a CB750F frame today.

I'm keeping the frame, engine and title..the rest is up for grabs when I am done.

Steve