Author Topic: Wheel shop in greater LA/Victorville area  (Read 1031 times)

Offline SEBNN

• Enthusiast
Wheel shop in greater LA/Victorville area
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:46:20 am »
Does anyone know of a shop that will lace up new rims located east of LA?  Just looking at options versus adapting a set of non Honda mag wheels off of another bike.
Thanks

Offline L.A. Nomad........

• Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB550 K
Re: Wheel shop in greater LA/Victorville area
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:32:55 am »
I'm in Los Angeles.... I've had friends lace rims up at Johnson and Wood in North Hollywood.

Nomad
I am a fuel-injected suicide machine! I am a rocker! I am a roller! [I’m an outta controller] I am the Chosen One! The Mighty and the Vengeance! Sent down  to strike the unroadworthy! I'm hotter  than a rolling dice!

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 04:54:43 pm »
Buchanans, $$$ but good.
Baja native.

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:27:40 pm »
Ditto Buchanan's. It is a bit expensive, but they really know what they're doing.

Offline SEBNN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:00:42 pm »
Is that Buchanans spokes?  If so, yeah, their prices are pretty high, but if they are worth it, thats the important part.

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:43:16 am »
I went with their spokes for the only reason that they are stainless instead of chromed or plated, which are worth every penny if you've ever tried to remove rust on a plated set of spokes.

They have two sets for the Hondas, I got the heavier gauge figuring it's a heavy bike but the smaller diameter ones would have laced into the hub easier and fit better.

Anyway, even though their main business seems to be choppers they immediately knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the CB hubs.
Baja native.

Offline davesprinkle

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:36:01 pm »
Use Buchanan's.  No question.  I took my hubs to them and the guy behind the counter remarked, "Old Honda hubs, huh?"  He recognized them from across the room.  I told him about the clearance problem I was having with a new caliper and he suggested a new lacing pattern that solved the problem.  My point is that they know their stuff.  You don't find this kind of experience and competence very often.

Offline SEBNN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 08:05:29 pm »
Good idea as my rear hub will be a custom old honda hub by the time I am done with it.