Author Topic: Registry of 500/550 Owners (Three Tons of fun!!)  (Read 205397 times)

Offline nickahlm

• Mechanical Newb.
  • Mechanical newbie...
Mechanical NEWBIE in Minneapolis!
« Reply #1000 on: December 19, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »
Never owned a bike before.
Never worked on a motor before.
Never owned tools before.

I'm a "newb" in the TRUEST sense of the word... and looking for a community to help me out when I hit road blocks or need some helpful tips/tricks/ideas!

1978 CB550K -  Previous owner put away 2 years prior, running well with a minor idle issue and some work to be done on the throttle, clutch and breaking.

Purchased it and the motor was turning, but it wouldn't fire b/c it was put away with fluid still in it!

Thus far I've got the seat off, air box out, passenger pegs off, and a few other minor details before tackling the Carbs and whatever else springs up.

I think I'm going to try the Carb Kits before getting too aggressive...

Any thoughts from ya'll out there who know what they're talking about more than I?!

If nothing else... Hope someone out there can be my "helper!

CHEERS

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
Re: Registry of 500/550 Owners (Three Tons of fun!!)
« Reply #1001 on: December 19, 2015, 02:23:46 pm »
ok here some tips:
  • download the honda shop manual: http://manuals.sohc4.net/
  • do the 3k mile tune-up as described there, before doing anything else
  • then see how she runs to determine what else may need to be done
  • and start a build thread so we can see how you progress ;)

ah one more: don't believe anything the PO said. "some work to be done..." could mean anything from minor adjustments to major headache - you'll need to see for yourself.

Offline HondaAddict

• Enthusiast
    • Videos on my CB550K restoration and other projects
« Reply #1002 on: December 21, 2015, 01:22:59 pm »
I bought my 1975 CB550K in October. However I just noticed this registry, so I'm late adding my post.

The details on my 550 are here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,152139.msg1748725.html
1976 Honda CB400F
1975 Honda CB550K (sold in 2020)  Project thread | Videos
2008 Honda GL1800AL
2016 Honda CB500F
2018 Honda CB300F
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (sold in 2020) Project thread on V4Musclebike.com | Video
1986 Honda Z50R

Offline nickahlm

• Mechanical Newb.
  • Mechanical newbie...
« Reply #1003 on: December 22, 2015, 10:38:00 am »
Hey Folks!!!!

So, I was wondering if someone could give me some direction here...

There are a few parts/items I want to begin shopping for, however Google isn't as helpful as I figure ya'll might be!

I want to find:

Complete Air Box Assembly, top to bottom including Intake Manifold & Intake insulators
Complete under-seat electronics -
           This is one I have not done much research on because the electronics side of things is def. what makes me the most nervous.  I like the "Empty Frame" look when the electronics & Battery are mounted under the seat... I have a few questions:
                                 1) anyone go a solid link for a good option that'll house all electronics + batter?
                                 2) Is this something that people suggest doing or is it
                                                       a) not worth the effort/cost
                                                       b) any residual heat radiate through the seat (some to be expected, but is it substantial?)
                                                       c) would this require a re-wiring at all of current electronics
                                                       d) while performing this addition, is there any other items suggested to be completed at the same time

I figure the best place for me to start chippin' away at this beast is to address the simple/lower cost items initially and just continue to make purchases here n' there until the bike starts developing.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!

Cheers,

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1004 on: December 22, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »
Hey Folks!!!!

So, I was wondering if someone could give me some direction here...

There are a few parts/items I want to begin shopping for, however Google isn't as helpful as I figure ya'll might be!

I want to find:

Complete Air Box Assembly, top to bottom including Intake Manifold & Intake insulators
Complete under-seat electronics -
           This is one I have not done much research on because the electronics side of things is def. what makes me the most nervous.  I like the "Empty Frame" look when the electronics & Battery are mounted under the seat... I have a few questions:
                                 1) anyone go a solid link for a good option that'll house all electronics + batter?
                                 2) Is this something that people suggest doing or is it
                                                       a) not worth the effort/cost
                                                       b) any residual heat radiate through the seat (some to be expected, but is it substantial?)
                                                       c) would this require a re-wiring at all of current electronics
                                                       d) while performing this addition, is there any other items suggested to be completed at the same time

I figure the best place for me to start chippin' away at this beast is to address the simple/lower cost items initially and just continue to make purchases here n' there until the bike starts developing.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!

Cheers,

Welcome aboard. Well I am no expert so you are going to want to check around but putting the electronics under the seat is going to be a matter of what you feel looks good and is worth your time/effort. So yea there will be some wiring that you will need to do however how much will depend on where you place things. The one thing I noticed is that the voltage regulator will need some air flow so that would be the one thing that you want to be sure does not over heat.

There are threads on the main forum page that have CB550/CB500 parts for sale you can start looking there for parts. Also check the good sellers posts. I usually get most of my parts from 4into1.com and ebay as starters but there are other sites that carry after market parts like dime city cycles.

If you have not figured it out yet Hondaman on this forum forgets more stuff about these CB's in one day than most of us learn in a year he is really the go to guy for the 750's and even the smaller CB's. Godffery is another one and there are others. So search for them and you will see posts they have added to or started.

GL and hope it all goes well for you.

.: Scott :.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1005 on: December 22, 2015, 08:04:56 pm »
I bought my 1975 CB550K in October. However I just noticed this registry, so I'm late adding my post.

The details on my 550 are here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,152139.msg1748725.html
Welcome aboard HondaAddict!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline onetruepunk87

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1006 on: December 27, 2015, 08:46:33 pm »
I didn't know this registry existed until now. Here's my 1972 CB500K I finished over the summer. The full build link is my profile signature, the abridged version is over in the January BOTM thread, check it out here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,153773.0.html

From this:

To this:

Offline Jeffro93

« Reply #1007 on: December 28, 2015, 05:53:57 am »
I was notified of this thread by Zaipai in my build thread, which is in the very early stages. 

I picked up a '74 CB550 in October.  It's now torn down and I'm working through the engine.  I'm planning on a build very similar to Onetruepunk87's beautiful 500.  I don't want a stock bike, but I do want a bike that could be brought to stock in a day or so if all the parts were ready.

My build thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,153516.0.html
1974 Honda CB550
1983 Honda GL650 Interstate "Cafe'd"
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1008 on: December 28, 2015, 10:44:07 am »
Welcome from S.E. Wisconsin Jeffro93 hope you get what you need from the forum and can't wait to see how your build turns out!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline briggadoon

« Reply #1009 on: January 15, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »
Hi All!

Some of the idiosyncrasies of my 500/550...hybrid??? are documented in my other two threads. Still, figured I'd introduce myself and post a picture here.

Zaipai - awesome to see a fellow Southern Wisconsin owner here!
-- 197ish CB500/550 - The FrankenFour

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #1010 on: January 16, 2016, 12:57:13 am »
the picture's not showing for me.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1011 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:42 am »
Hi All!

Some of the idiosyncrasies of my 500/550...hybrid??? are documented in my other two threads. Still, figured I'd introduce myself and post a picture here.

Zaipai - awesome to see a fellow Southern Wisconsin owner here!

Thanks nice to know you are also in S.W. There are a few on here that are. Godffery is one he lives pretty close to where I do and Spikeybike while technically not Wisconsin very close and a few others.

Yea, that photo is also not showing up not sure why.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline briggadoon

« Reply #1012 on: January 29, 2016, 07:48:48 pm »
Ah. Sorry about that. I was trying to get fancy with embedding images from Google Photos. Let's try this instead.

-- 197ish CB500/550 - The FrankenFour

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1013 on: January 29, 2016, 09:08:59 pm »
Wow !  8) I just found this thread,it'll be a long read  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Buckskin Bandit

• The (unofficial) Official Bolt Head Rounder
  • A "Chopper" project
« Reply #1015 on: April 03, 2016, 10:12:08 am »
Ok.. Mine is similar to the first post on this thread!  :P But my goal is to get it running by fall..  (We'll see about that)  Been on this forum for a while, but I just found this thread... Therefore, here's my  "Chopper"! Can't seem to find my "torn apart" pictures, but they're in my (very short and unfinished) build thread for those interested... This is what it looked like when I bought it last spring..
Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down!

1973 Honda 500 four "Chopper" - In pieces :P
1977 CB750 K1 "The Fonz" project
2003 Suzuki GZ 250 "Little Horse" -Sold
1981 Yamaha Maxim 550 "Big Red" -Sold
2007 Shadow Spirit 750 "Blaze"

My resto threads: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,152344.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,166240.0.html

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1016 on: April 04, 2016, 01:10:33 pm »
Ah. Sorry about that. I was trying to get fancy with embedding images from Google Photos. Let's try this instead.

Ahhh much better!!!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1017 on: April 04, 2016, 01:11:33 pm »
Ok.. Mine is similar to the first post on this thread!  :P But my goal is to get it running by fall..  (We'll see about that)  Been on this forum for a while, but I just found this thread... Therefore, here's my  "Chopper"! Can't seem to find my "torn apart" pictures, but they're in my (very short and unfinished) build thread for those interested... This is what it looked like when I bought it last spring..
Very nice retro look! Checking your build thread now.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #1019 on: April 04, 2016, 03:26:13 pm »
Ok, I'll add to the "Three Tons of fun"...
Here a few I've built:
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/album03/Godfferys-Garage-123/Thomass+Cafe+project/TTCB+035.JPG.html
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/album03/Godfferys-Garage-123/Dan+P+CB550K-F/DP+226.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/album03/Godfferys-Garage-123/Linas-s+CB550+Cafe/L+TDB+091_001.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/album03/Godfferys-Garage-123/Cafe+Overkill/DSC+386.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
I think you win.. :)

I would have liked to see the brown one done. Is he/she on this forum do you know?

You & me both Man! I've only seen a couple of low quality pix of the finished bike.  He keeps telling me he'll get me some good pix but as of yet, nothing. He's not on the SOHC list so we can't even baggier him into submission.  =/ 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:35:11 pm by Godffery »

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #1020 on: April 04, 2016, 03:38:29 pm »
 Ps;  I just added a few of the pix I do have of that bike finished, like I said though, not that great.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #1021 on: April 04, 2016, 03:42:34 pm »
Ps;  I just added a few of the pix I do have of that bike finished, like I said though, not that great.
Too bad, when will people learn to let you finish their bikes! :)

Some day you will build me a bike sadly that day is still a ways away.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #1022 on: April 04, 2016, 07:22:23 pm »
 I figured I would just do your bike build one part at a time.   :D

Offline Buckskin Bandit

• The (unofficial) Official Bolt Head Rounder
  • A "Chopper" project
« Reply #1023 on: April 05, 2016, 05:05:53 am »
Very nice retro look! Checking your build thread now.

Thanks for the kind words!
Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down!

1973 Honda 500 four "Chopper" - In pieces :P
1977 CB750 K1 "The Fonz" project
2003 Suzuki GZ 250 "Little Horse" -Sold
1981 Yamaha Maxim 550 "Big Red" -Sold
2007 Shadow Spirit 750 "Blaze"

My resto threads: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,152344.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,166240.0.html

Offline BassHog

« Reply #1024 on: December 07, 2016, 02:25:49 pm »
New Member and a new to me 72 CB500, it's a tad dirty here but it looks much nice now that it's cleaned up and serviced.