Author Topic: Removing throttle from handlebars  (Read 5724 times)

Offline valt

• Enthusiast
Removing throttle from handlebars
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:23:07 pm »
Alright so I have 74' CB550. I bought some new bars for it, and began the adventure of trying to get them on today. However I got stuck trying to remove the throttle from the bars. I couldn't see any simple/obvious way of it coming off. Am I just missing something here? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
Re: Removing throttle from handlebars
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:28:10 pm »
 Two screws on the underside clamp the throttle/switch housing to the bars.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline valt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:35:05 pm »
Yes, but how do I remove the actual throttle from the bars? Does it just slide off like the grips?

Offline Sweep

• Just remember there are no stupid questions, just some idiot asking them.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:58:44 pm »
Yes, but how do I remove the actual throttle from the bars? Does it just slide off like the grips?

Back off the adjustments on the cables and take the ends off of the throttle cable, which you have access to by taking the switch housing apart.  You just pull each one off at that point with maybe the assistance of needlenose.
'76 cb750K Wiseco 836|ape crank/head|Carillos|CR29s|Dyna 2k|Kerker
'74 Norton Commando Fastback w/belt and bells

jjwaller

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 05:30:52 pm »
After you unbolt the handlebars, slide bars to left and throttle to right.
Comes right off.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:14:52 pm »
The handgrip is on a plastic tube that will slide off the bar once you get the switch assembly open and remove the throttle cables from the wheelish part of that plastic tube. The switch assembly is attached by the wires, and the sleeve is probably very hard and won't want to let you easily move the switch unit far enough away from the bar to release the tube.
The cable adjusters at the throttle housing should give you enough slack to get the cable ends off but I don't like frigging around with them, I usually just take off the carb ends first and get gobs of slack (assuming you have push/pull cables and the ganged carb throttles).

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:54:38 am »
If the bike is stock there is a pin in the swirch housing that will not allow it to slide off , until that housing part is about 3/16 from the bars.

So if it is there  , and has the wiring through the bars, it will not slide off like they said.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
Alright so I have 74' CB550. I bought some new bars for it, and began the adventure of trying to get them on today. However I got stuck trying to remove the throttle from the bars. I couldn't see any simple/obvious way of it coming off. Am I just missing something here? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, changing bars sounds so easy, right?

Start by taking off the gas tank.
Remove the throttle cable ends at the carbs.
Loosen the jamb nuts under the bar control where the cables attach and align the flat to allow for screw removal.
Now remove the screws for the bar control
The top half of the control will now hinge up on the wires, allowing you to free the plastic sleeve from the control when you push the bottom half down slightly as well, off the pin post.
At the bottom center of the bars you'll note two bundles of wires.  Follow where these enter into you headlight shell and remove the the headlight from it.
Disconnect all the wire ends for the bundles that you followed from the bars.
Remove bars from bike, place in a padded jaw bench vise so holes are facing up.
Bend all the loose wire ends so that they are straight and lay flat against the bundle.
Simultaneously push the bundle at the center hole and gently pull the wire bundle at the bar end.  Lubing the exposed cable sheath may lower the volume of shouted curse words.  You can also squirt WD-40 inside the bar to aid movement.

There, now you have stripped the bike of bars and the bars of control parts. That completes the "easy" part.

Since, I don't know what bars you have, or if you've drilled or they already have holes in them for routing the control wire bundles, you're on your own for bar installation, except to say that installation is more or less the same as removal only in reverse.
Seems that most forego fishing the wire bundles into new bars, as that would be hard.  And then, file the controls to allow the very attractive wire control wire bundles to be duct taped or tie wrapped to the outside of the bars.

Unless they are stock replacement bars, they probably won't have the locator pin that helps position the bar control and keep them from spinning on the bars.  Just remember to tighten the forward control mount screw first, then rear last.  Any openings should face the rear to minimize the ingress of rain water into the control.

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline valt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:07:29 pm »
Wow! Thanks for all the great replies, I did finally figure it out there was a thumb screw at the bottom and once I removed that it all came off. I actually had to bring the bike into my kitchen (since I don't have a garage) because it was so cold the wiring was frozen refused to come out of the bars. Once it was inside I put a hair drier on it for a bit and warmed it up and it came out with relative ease.

The new bars did not have holes for wiring, so I just modified the switch cases so that I can run the wiring outside the bars. I will probably figure out some sort of gasket to help keep water out of the switches themselves. I think that I might have mucked something up in the wiring, as number 2 cylinder is no longer firing. But I need to check to see if there is a spark then work from there.

Anyways here are some pics of the bars on.

Oh I definitely go into this thinking it would be simple either. Once I got so far as to see there was wiring running through the bars, I knew there was going to be trouble!