Author Topic: More Turbo Q's  (Read 1773 times)

Offline JLeather

• Expert
More Turbo Q's
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:30:07 am »
The Rajay setup I've got for my CB750 is a drawthrough setup. This was done primarily because of the technology of the time, but also because of the limited space (the Rajay setup fits a stock frame). The major downsides to draw-through are reduced efficiency and more frequent turbo rebuilds. The fuel droplets eat away at the compressor vanes. No one can give me a straight answer on how many street-miles I could see from a draw-through setup between turbo rebuilds. The racers used to rebuild them fairly often, so I don't know. That's a problem 'cause Rajay is out of business and no one is making the rebuild parts at the moment. Mr Turbo is trying to outsource some of them, but no luck right now.

Here's my plan. I've traded for another single-inlet turbo intake from an HC board member. I'm thinking about taking a sportster CV carb and attaching it directly to the manifold, and running it in blow-through (blow-through single carb setup). Blow-through affords me more control via a wastegate, and also is more efficient. I think it would be a really interesting system to run a single blow-through carb. I can run a modern, smaller, cheaper turbo that still has rebuild parts available. Who's got turbo experience and would like to weigh in on this system?

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: More Turbo Q's
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:48:19 am »
go to www.dragbike.com then the turbo section.ask your questions then sit back and wait for the answers.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:22:07 am »
I don't have turbo experience.  But, I do have some carb experience.

A turbo places pressure inside the carb throat.  Ordinary carb jets have the fuel pushed through them due to differential pressure form the surrounding atmosphere and the carb throat.  If you put positive pressure in the throat, compared to the atmospheric vents, fuel will want to run backwards through the fuel jets.  Detonation is not a desirable goal.

I expect this is the major reason why you find draw-through turbos more readily than blow through for home installation.  The carb requirements are far less complex.  Direct injection is the best technical answer to this issue.  Alternately, you can put the entire carb in a box that is also pressurized by the turbo and then rely on the carb's venturi effect to create all the pressure difference required to draw fuel through the jets.  The next issue would be a gravity feed fuel pressure to the carbs being less than the turbo boost pressure.  A fuel pump can overcome this, if the float valves on the selected carb are capable of blocking the increased fuel pressure involved.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
  See if the TMIOA site is still active, Turbo Motorcycle International Owners Association was pretty active until about 5 years ago
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:49:05 pm by 736cc »

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »
Thanks 736, I'll try and track them down.

Dusterdude, I've got some posts running on the dragbike forum.  I'm trying to figure out how long the Rajay can actually last in draw-through mode, and how much static CR I can run on the engine.  BTW, nice avatar.  I really want to find a titled pan motor for my next build.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »
I would go the blow-thru route for ease of building, and the turbos you can use.
Chad over at Ace Motorcycle & Scooter (shop in Chicago) but this nasty little CB175 turbo bike and has it running like a champ --->

Might be worth it to give him a call and pick his brain to what did and didnt work...
Tell him Joe from Half Fast sent ya... ;D
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:34:35 am »
Man, that sucker is too cool for words.  I'll definitely give him a call and pick his brain a little.  You know how much he modded the engine?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:28:13 am »
Man, that sucker is too cool for words.  I'll definitely give him a call and pick his brain a little.  You know how much he modded the engine?
I am guessing the motor is stock, but I could be wrong.
Chad (owner of the shop) is a great guy, huge supporter of Half Fast, and knows his Motorcycles.
He has got me outta a jam more than once (as you can see from his site)...
http://acemotorcycleandscooter.com/default.aspx
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:10:33 pm »
j,thanks.for the pan motor go to http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB2/index.php you may have to join the forum.place and ad and see what pops up.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3