Author Topic: Fuel injection conversion (edit) fixed a few things  (Read 162752 times)

deuce_454

Re: Fuel injection conversion (edit) fixed a few things
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »
retro rocket... why dont we all settle this debate once and for all.... you go out and attempt to kick start your bike, efi and all... if it works let us know  ;D

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:08 pm »
retro rocket... why dont we all settle this debate once and for all.... you go out and attempt to kick start your bike, efi and all... if it works let us know  ;D

I will definitely let everyone know if it works but i will keep researching it to make sure it will otherwise i'll try a different approach.   ;)
I was just thinking, would it be possible to have some sort of primer for the injection,so when you kick it it fires enough to start the injection. I was just using the mower and it has a little diaphragm primer and it started me thinking.....

Mick
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:00:35 pm by retro rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2009, 05:56:29 am »
retro rocket... why dont we all settle this debate once and for all.... you go out and attempt to kick start your bike, efi and all... if it works let us know  ;D

I will definitely let everyone know if it works but i will keep researching it to make sure it will otherwise i'll try a different approach.   ;)
I was just thinking, would it be possible to have some sort of primer for the injection,so when you kick it it fires enough to start the injection. I was just using the mower and it has a little diaphragm primer and it started me thinking.....

Mick

The way I understand it is the diaphragm primer is used to add extra fuel to a carb, so it's irrelevant on a fuel-injected system. The Megasquirt needs the engine to turn over a couple of times so that it knows WHERE the engine is in its rotation and when exactly to inject fuel.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:39 am »
Yeah, primer bottle, thats how I used to start my Ducati MACH 1 .. 1 squirt, and it would start..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2009, 10:55:25 am »
Like I said, no easy way to mount the sprag to light metal rotating element.. ;D
You are the first one to post up why it is kick only, everyone else just quotes the website. So, not knowing, I called Ken.  Then I read your post.
Interesting, as i understood it,  you just wanted to know if it worked with electric start..?

Mick
I thought it would because I didn't know that the sprag was on the alternator. Now I know better.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2009, 01:36:11 pm »
I'm not 100% sure but, if you want an alternator with a higher output and still retain the starter, how about the CB750A unit. I think it kicks out quite a bit more and might fit on Ks and Fs, you'll have to ask the experts though.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2009, 04:47:42 pm »
The way I understand it is the diaphragm primer is used to add extra fuel to a carb, so it's irrelevant on a fuel-injected system. The Megasquirt needs the engine to turn over a couple of times so that it knows WHERE the engine is in its rotation and when exactly to inject fuel.

I understand how the microsquirt systems work, and i know what you are referring to as a primed carb but obviously we are talking injection here and i think that a series of 4 small lines going into the manifolds  would work. Priming would then squirt fuel into the manifold and be drawn in when kicking allowing the bike to fire and then the injection would take over, this seems very simple to me and i was just wondering if it would work as i see no reason why it wouldn't. Does anyone know how the injection works on modern kick only dirt bikes?

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MJL

• Expert
« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2009, 05:53:41 pm »
Why can't you have it automatically enrich when it's cold? 

I don't think that's the real issue here, if you don't spin the motor fast enough it just won't know to start.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #183 on: October 20, 2009, 06:00:50 pm »

I don't think that's the real issue here, if you don't spin the motor fast enough it just won't know to start.

Well you probably could, i was addressing the issue of getting the engine to spin fast enough to have the fuel injection to take over and i think priming may work, in saying that if the engine only has to spin at 50rpm to start the kick starter will achieve this no worries. The only thing that has me worried is will it turn over long enough for the injection to take over, thats why i thought priming might be the go because it will fire up the engine which should be plenty of revs to start the injection....I'm kind of asking but it seems to make sense as well.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:59 pm »
well you need to look no further than the newest crop of efi dirtbikes to know that you can kick start an efi motor.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:23 pm »
How many are kick?
 My brother got a new 250 Yam  this year, it has estart, & ?kick?.. not sure..?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:55 pm »
Gas Gas have been making fuel injected dirt bikes for 5 years and they are electric and kick start..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:27 am »

Well you probably could, i was addressing the issue of getting the engine to spin fast enough to have the fuel injection to take over and i think priming may work, in saying that if the engine only has to spin at 50rpm to start the kick starter will achieve this no worries. The only thing that has me worried is will it turn over long enough for the injection to take over, thats why i thought priming might be the go because it will fire up the engine which should be plenty of revs to start the injection....I'm kind of asking but it seems to make sense as well.

Mick

I was assuming the MegaSquirt was also controlling ignition. If your ignition was done via points or a Dyna then your solution may work.

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »
You guys give me too much to research...

I've been thinking of going alternator, and completely re-doing the electrics.....
Multi spark ignition, and FI......
?

OFf to read a bit..

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2009, 02:53:26 pm »

Mick

I was assuming the MegaSquirt was also controlling ignition. If your ignition was done via points or a Dyna then your solution may work.

I have a Dyna ignition...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline 750essess

• Orleans Cycle Repair & Resto
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2009, 10:29:11 am »
You can set a prime pulse on the microsquirt so if you werent running ignition it should kick start no problem as long as you get 50+ rpms to trigger the fuel ingection.
Orleans Cycle Repair and Restoration
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L

Offline MJL

• Expert
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2009, 12:37:31 pm »

Mick

Whether MS controls ignition or not it still has to read a signal to know when to fire the injectors.

Without a knock sensor I don't see the point of having MS control ign.

Offline Joksa

• Enthusiast
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2009, 02:13:29 pm »
Whether MS controls ignition or not it still has to read a signal to know when to fire the injectors.
Normally the injection timing is not relevant, only how often and how long per cycle.

Without a knock sensor I don't see the point of having MS control ign.
Possibility to adjust your advance curve might be a good feature. E.g making the original advancer static and let the MS control the timing.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2009, 03:57:28 pm »
You can set a prime pulse on the microsquirt so if you werent running ignition it should kick start no problem as long as you get 50+ rpms to trigger the fuel injection.

Thanks Joska
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline 750essess

• Hot Shot
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:20 am »
The advantage to using microquirt to control ignition is can be referenced to manifold pressure instead of rpm. This is a more accurate representation of load often times than just rpm. Also it can set the timing at what ever advance u want independent of rpm, say for instance you have a turbo motor and need to retard timing at full throttle and high load or boost.
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2009, 02:48:40 pm »
The advantage to using microquirt to control ignition is can be referenced to manifold pressure instead of rpm. This is a more accurate representation of load often times than just rpm. Also it can set the timing at what ever advance u want independent of rpm, say for instance you have a turbo motor and need to retard timing at full throttle and high load or boost.

:o :o :o

I never knew...... thats interesting!

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:16 pm »
Yes the Mega/Microsquirt is a very flexible piece of hardware and software. If you let it control your ignition timing you can also set up vacuum advance which is good for about 20% better fuel mileage. :)
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline MJL

• Expert
« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2009, 11:05:28 pm »
Normally the injection timing is not relevant, only how often and how long per cycle.

Right, and for that MS needs an rpm signal, most fuel injection computers read engine speed from the ignition.

Offline MJL

• Expert
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2009, 11:06:44 pm »
Has anyone else beside 750essess done or started a fuel injection conversion on their bike?

Offline 750essess

• Hot Shot
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2009, 07:53:01 am »
I tried to get started on the machining for the alt conversion, but the machinist is on vacation until tuesday. I was thinking it might be easier to have him cut out the center of the original flywheel and start with that.... you machinists out there, does that sound simpler or just retarded. I have also confirmed everything fits in the cover. Another piece will have to be made to locate the stator in the cover, am going to use the three screw locations that hold the field in.
76CB750F
69Z50
XR650L