Author Topic: CB750F - decent deal I think (make that thought) UPDATE: It's over  (Read 10245 times)

Offline Cvillechopper

• Is just pretending to be an
  • Expert
  • If not for my failures I'd never know my limits
I just brought home a project that looks like it'll be fairly short, but not as complete as I'd like.  With money as it is I've got to get her cleaned up and running to sell for a few more bucks than I paid for her.  For $300, not too bad I think.
I'll be taking more pics as I start getting her ready.

What do you think? :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:31:00 pm by Cvillechopper »
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Re: CB750F - decent deal I think
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »
I think you got a great deal -
sidecovers look good, tank looks good, exhaust looks good, seat needs a recover, if it starts up you have made a really good deal ....congratulations  :)

Offline SKTP

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:23:15 pm »
Looks great. I was amazed by how some elbow grease and a bunch of chrome cleaner worked on my bike...that bike's going to be sweet!
1978k rebuild thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68423.0
BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2017
2003 Ducati M800ie
1997 Honda CR-V
2004 Honda CR-V
1966 Honda S90

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »
For $300 that's a helluva deal.

I hope she runs like a spanked monkey for ya!
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »
lucky dog!
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:45:35 am »

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:27:57 am »
1 thing I forgot to mention... no title. 
story is that it's gone through a couple of hands since the last guy that had it titled and that he's dead.  I've already started the abandoned vehicle here in VA so I should know in about 40 days at the most.

Also, I took a look under the seat this morning over coffee and it's still got the original tool kit and owner's manual in great shape.  I'm thinking that with some elbow grease and a little time the wife might think twice about the plan to sell it.  She likes sport bikes more than cruisers and this is absolutely more that direction that my other bikes.

Here's hoping.....
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 09:48:04 am »
I always say, the grungier the are, the better the deal.

It looks really complete but in need of a good cleaning.

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 04:09:53 pm »
I got a little bit done today and found that it's in really goo shape under the filth, but there are a few things missing.  The inner intake boots weren't there, but the rear wheel shined up real nice.  I'd say the rim is about 90% perfect, with a few very shallow pits that I couldn't get out.  Getting a compression tester tomorrow to see if I need to pull the engine or not.

Offline bubbafun101

• Enthusiast
    • My K3
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 06:26:32 pm »
300 bucks??? Great fins. I am one of those F owners. I managed thru no effort on my part to end up with 5 F models from 1975. I have two running a donor and one about to be chopped into a Cafe. While my first F was a 300 dollar find( w/ a stock perfect 4 into 1) yours in much better shape. Some previous owner was enough into these bikes to drilll out at the rear brake disk. Any chance she has a over bore kit in her??

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 06:42:20 pm »
I was told that one of the POs had won a few trophies as a show bike but I have no idea about what work was done other than what I've been able to tell in just cleaning her up.  The engine has absolutely been painted (not that well), you mentioned the rotor, K&N filter but still 105 mains so I don't think any internal work's been done.  Once I check the compression I'll know if I need to pull the engine but judging from the sound when I kick her over, shouldn't be necessary. 
I was hoping I would hit the lotto last night so I could talk the wife into letting me keep her, but I'm not holding my breath. 

You mentioned having a donor bike... Any chance you've got some intake boots I could buy off ya?

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 06:12:11 pm »
Got the compression check done and all cylinders are within about 5psi so no worries there.  I've got her cleaned up (need more elbow grease cause it's worn out now).  Here's pics of the progress..

Half polished.  Can you tell which half?

One done.

Waiting on some intake boots I ordered to try starting her up and still have to find a caliper for the front but she's coming along nicely.

Offline merc2dogs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
 Looks good, $300 is a great price for it.

regarding caliper, see if you can get a hold of 1gonekat on the board here, shipped him both calipers and front master for an f a few weeks ago, said he had an extra.

Ken.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:03:17 pm »
The polishing looks great. What products and methods are you using?
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 03:25:24 am »
The polishing looks great. What products and methods are you using?

Thanks.  I'm using my favorite method for quick surface rust removal...

Medium steel wool
Fine steel wool
Mothers mag polish

These pics are before the mothers so I should have a little bit more shine when all is said and done.

The medium knocks off the larger stuff, the fine steel wool gets rid of the rust without scratching the chrome, and the mothers gives it a deep shine.  There are still a few pits from the deeper rust spots, but in general everything looks very presentable. 

I can't wait to hear her roar.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 07:30:16 am »
The good thing about the early Fs is that they use the same calipers as the other fours. You shouldn't have a problem with that.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 01:10:09 pm »
the more your post- I become more jealous :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 06:14:27 pm »
Still waiting on the airbox but I got her back together enough to try starting her up.  2nd kick with gas in the carbs and she roared.  Very rough since the carbs are not synched, there's no airbox, and the gas was old stuff, but ran none the less.  Sounded very good considering.

I should be getting the airbox in the next day or so and then I can get her tuned in.  Feeling pretty good at the moment.

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 08:21:42 pm »
Got the airtubes in and installed and the tank is sitting with some Evapo-rust in it (turning every few hours).  Got the call I had been dreading today from the ACTUAL TITLE HOLDER.  Started out rather scary as he asked "so I can just come over and pick up the bike?" to which I replied, "yep.  Legally it's still yours."  We ended up talking for about 45 minutes in which I learned the history of this bike and he heard how much work has gone into this bike and said "it's yours".

This guy bought the bike new and took it cross country.  After that he didn't ride it much and it was parked for about 10 years.  The shop he finally took it to so he could get it back on the road ripped him off telling him it would e $800 - $900 to get it running again so he sold it to them for $40.  WTF!?!  I heard all about the bike and one of his best stories is about trying to hit red-line in every gear(he's the oldest speed freak I've ever talked to).  He got it to redline in 4th at an indicated 110mph going downhill on a local road and hit it into 5th doing 9,300 rpm.  Said it lifted the front like it was nothing.  Scared the $hit outta him.  Don't know if that's true but have no reason not to believe the guy.

I really felt a great connection with this bike after talking with him (same name, same age as when he bought the bike, etc).  Just thought I'd share.

InaneCathode

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 08:27:11 pm »
Aye, i try to stay away from no-title bikes. Kinda scary territory. Maybe its lost, maybe it isnt!

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 08:40:16 pm »
wait, so you're giving it back to the guy?
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 08:47:31 pm »
No.  The guy sounded like he was going to come get it at first.  After we talked for a while he said "it's your" meaning he didn't want to come take it from someone that had paid good money for it in good faith and had put so much work into it.  I would have helped him put it in his truck if he had come and wished him luck.  I knew the risk buying a bike with no title.  This time it happened to work out in my favor.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 09:08:35 pm »
No.  The guy sounded like he was going to come get it at first.  After we talked for a while he said "it's your" meaning he didn't want to come take it from someone that had paid good money for it in good faith and had put so much work into it.  I would have helped him put it in his truck if he had come and wished him luck.  I knew the risk buying a bike with no title.  This time it happened to work out in my favor.

Nice guy, indeed.
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 05:45:18 am »
Well.... I got another call from this "nice guy" yesterday evening after having spent over 6 hours in the garage getting the carbs synched, brake work done, and working on soaking out the tank.  Turns out that he does feel entitled to the bike (even though he sold it MANY years ago) but "wouldn't take advantage of someone".  He offered me the $600 I'll have paid for the bike and parts when all's said and done.  I was just blown away.  After talking for a few and letting him know just how dissappointed I was that he was going back on his earlier statement he said he'd give me $1,000 total to help compensate for my time and effort if I complete the tank and brake work (I hadn't ordered the POR-15 at that point).  Since I'm kinda at his mercy I said yeh, but I am really not happy about it. 

This bike was for a very close friend and was to be something that we could work on together and he could learn how to work on bikes with.  I'm trying to keep the "at least I helped return the bike to the original owner" idea in mind but he really doesn't deserve the bike considering he sold it for $40 cause "it was only worth about $100 more than it'd cost me to get it back on the road" in the late 80's and he only plans to ride it around the neighborhood every once in a while.  I translate that into "the bike is going to rot in my garage".  Really makes me sick to think about too much.

Here's to making sure you get a title before doing any work on a project.  Something done in good faith will only get you so far.

Hey, at least I'm not losing money on the deal or the wife would be ready to kill me...

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 12:48:08 pm »
Sheesh....

I don't mean to start a war here, but how is he entitled to the bike if he sold it? His name is still on the title, but you can get around that legally if you're inclined. I honestly think this guy is trying to take advantage of you.
SOHC4 Member#44153