Author Topic: CB750F - decent deal I think (make that thought) UPDATE: It's over  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Cvillechopper

• Is just pretending to be an
  • Expert
  • If not for my failures I'd never know my limits
Re: CB750F - decent deal I think (make that thought)
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2008, 08:04:00 am »

.............digging ditches, flipping burgers  PITY  i will not qualify that supercilous BS with a answer, save your pity for those who come into daily contact with yourself!! Arrogant twat

second of all... why are you calling other members here names?  if you didn't know, that is against forum rules. 

+1 

No need to get that way.  This is a tightly knit community for the most part.  Let's not start off on the wrong foot there Mark.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

Offline merc2dogs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2008, 08:05:14 am »
.........................So yer man heres time is worth wot $350 a week..............gimme a break Ken thats bordering on insulting,FOR RESTO WORK WTF just because you have a love affair with what you do does not me you should be short changed for you labours  PERIOD

Key there is that he HAS been offered money. IF the original owner wanted to, he could show up with a police officer and trailer, take the bike and go home with nothing leaving his pocket.

As for garage time, some people spend free time watching TV because they enjoy doing it, I spend it in the garage or shop working on the bike or making parts because I enjoy doing it. 

ken.

edit, removed possible stir stick, don't think following comments were directed to me, but no need to stir it up.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:50:25 am by merc2dogs »

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2008, 08:27:28 am »
Let's keep the exchanges civil, shall we? As pointed out by others already, name calling is frowned upon and uncalled for.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2008, 08:42:17 am »
I'm not as polite (or patient) as Bob.

If you don't edit your post to remove the offending sentence(s), I will.

Consider this your first "strike"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:51:55 am by SteveD CB500F »
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2008, 09:13:50 am »
james,if you take a georgia bill of sale to dmv you can get a title.i did it in 1993 when i bought my roadrunner from a guy in georgia.no sweat at all.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline DammitDan

• Prodigal Son
  • Master
  • It lives!
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2008, 01:13:38 pm »
I get the distinct impression from what he's told you so far that he's NOT just a kindly old man who's unknowingly being a #$%*.

The fact that he sold the bike (though unwillingly) does not make the bike his.  And he doesn't even have title in hand?!  The fact that the bike was not stolen in the first place shouldn't mean that the bike is legally stolen.  I don't really know how realistically he could come to your door with police and reclaim it, as how is he going to prove to police that he's the owner in the first place?  He doesn't have the all-powerful piece of paper that proves ownership, only a footnote in a computer somewhere at the DMV.

On top of that he's pressuring you into giving his "old beauty" back to him where he'll ride it around the block once a week...  Yeah right.  He's gonna flip that thing so fast it'll make your head spin and make another $1000 on the deal.

Is it illegal to "sell" the bike to someone on the forum who lives in GA with a bill of sale, have them create a new title, then "sell" it back to you?

I know, I know, bad idea...  But this "naive old man" story just sparks me.  I would do anything in my power to keep the bike out of this guy's greedy wrinkled old hands.
CB750K4

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:10 pm »
Why don't do barbecue that CB750 just to prove a point. I don't think that is illegal. You can burn outside here from January 1 to May 1.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2008, 03:31:01 pm »
Cvillechopper,

Once again I strenously urge you to speak to a real life lawyer. Seriously, there is a lot of guys here telling you what they think they know but nobody is going to know this stuff better than someone who does it for a living. The amount of half truths, misnformation, and general bull plopies is so thick in this post one needs a shovel to dig out.

If he doesn't have the title, you should at least make him jump through the hoop of getting the paper title before you relinquish the bike to him (even for $1000). How? Well let him request the title from the DMV. as the last owner on record this should be no problem for him (unless as you said he relinquished title rights to the state - in which case if they give him a hard time you def have standing toward keeping the bike). I don't know how your state works but if he cancelled title to the bike by notifying the state of its sale then he may not be able to register it either (who knows?!?!?!...I don't know but I can't say it is not possible). He may owe back taxes on it, who really knows what kind of mess this really is...oh wait...a lawyer might know.....get the hint?

I think your wife is very smart and sensible....I understand why you keep her around. ;D
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2008, 04:07:41 pm »

A real life lawyer cost $$s  -I dont know about in your state but here in Boston, MA its $175 for a consultation. After that, it will keep adding up and that $1000 will soon dissappear. I understand what you are saying about getting to the "facts" but a lawyer is not cost effective for this IMHO.

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2008, 04:27:50 pm »
Andy's point was one of the ones made by my wife.  A lawyer would cost money, complicate the issue, and probably add to the sour taste in my mouth already.  I've made peace with the fact that he's coming to get it.  The tank has a fresh coat of POR-15 in it and will be ready this weekend.  I will accept the money he is offering and probably help push the bike onto the trailer.  After that I am hoping I get to sleep through the night (haven't had a good night's sleep since sunday) and start working on my own bike for a while.  Anything I do at this point to try and keep ownership will cost energy that I no longer have, money that we can't afford, and most likely take some of the enjoyment out of future projects.  Maybe I'll get a little good karma out of this.  Here's hoping.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2008, 05:21:42 pm »
I would go ahead and take the money, but I'd be damned if I pushed it onto a trailer for him.  I'd tell that #$%^ that he could load it his damn self. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2008, 06:31:51 pm »
Andy's point was one of the ones made by my wife.  A lawyer would cost money, complicate the issue, and probably add to the sour taste in my mouth already.  I've made peace with the fact that he's coming to get it.  The tank has a fresh coat of POR-15 in it and will be ready this weekend.  I will accept the money he is offering and probably help push the bike onto the trailer.  After that I am hoping I get to sleep through the night (haven't had a good night's sleep since sunday) and start working on my own bike for a while.  Anything I do at this point to try and keep ownership will cost energy that I no longer have, money that we can't afford, and most likely take some of the enjoyment out of future projects.  Maybe I'll get a little good karma out of this.  Here's hoping.

Not that you need me to say it, but you're a good man with good sense Cville.

I hope that you achieve peace, and a nice fresh barn find this spring.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2008, 06:37:44 pm »
+1...... best of luck
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2008, 07:05:43 pm »
WOW!!!!!!!!! :o

How did I miss this one??

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2008, 07:35:33 pm »
OK I read through this original post and left it there. When I saw all the posts I knew something was up. All the passion and drama. This is what I gleaned from all all this and a possible solution.

1. The guy sold the bike, notified the DMV he sold it to the bike shop.
2. Therefore he is not the legal owner, his actions prove he intended to sell the bike.
3. The bike shop is the actual owner.

I would suggest you offer the bike shop owner to fill out the paperwork to have the title he has properly issued to him. You will of course offer to do all of the DMV legwork and pay the fee. Once you have the the new title, he then transfers the title to you, and you again do the paperwork and pay the fees. At the end you have a legal title.

The kindly old man is not kindly, he is a con man and the more you talk to him the more he can con you. He has sellers remorse and sees an opportunity.

Yes it will take some work on your part, but you have also done a lot of work to get the bike where it is now. RIde it and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

As a kid from the Bronx I would whack the kindly old man in one knee with a bat and remind him that he has another knee we can discuss further if needed. I don't do that anymore.  ;D     

All kidding aside, if that makes sense to you give it a try.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline DammitDan

• Prodigal Son
  • Master
  • It lives!
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2008, 10:50:50 pm »
OK I read through this original post and left it there. When I saw all the posts I knew something was up. All the passion and drama. This is what I gleaned from all all this and a possible solution.

1. The guy sold the bike, notified the DMV he sold it to the bike shop.
2. Therefore he is not the legal owner, his actions prove he intended to sell the bike.
3. The bike shop is the actual owner.

I would suggest you offer the bike shop owner to fill out the paperwork to have the title he has properly issued to him. You will of course offer to do all of the DMV legwork and pay the fee. Once you have the the new title, he then transfers the title to you, and you again do the paperwork and pay the fees. At the end you have a legal title.

The kindly old man is not kindly, he is a con man and the more you talk to him the more he can con you. He has sellers remorse and sees an opportunity.

Yes it will take some work on your part, but you have also done a lot of work to get the bike where it is now. RIde it and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

As a kid from the Bronx I would whack the kindly old man in one knee with a bat and remind him that he has another knee we can discuss further if needed. I don't do that anymore.  ;D     

All kidding aside, if that makes sense to you give it a try.

+1
CB750K4

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2008, 11:55:08 pm »
Thanks for the various edits guys.

I know that we all get very excited about these things, but let's try to keep cool eh?
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2008, 10:39:47 am »
So what happened with this Cvillechopper?  Did he come and get it this weekend?
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline Cvillechopper

• Expert
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2008, 01:33:08 pm »
He just left 5 minutes ago.  I just logged in to update you. 
The guy was a nice old guy that's completely clueless about motorcycles.  I had to give a refresher course on petcock, choke, ignition, etc.  He really was just an innocent old guy without any idea that he was being a complete dick on the phone last weekend. 

Only time it got slightly contentious was when he pulled out HIS CHECKBOOK!  Of course I immediately said "You did bring cash, didn't you?"  He did but wanted me to sign the print-out I had with the work I'd done and parts I bought so he'd have a record of what he paid for.  I mentioned printing out a bill of sale and he said "I'm not buying the bike.  It's been mine all these years.  I paying you for the work you did on it." 

I told him that I didn't want to debate that but that I needed cash.  Not only did I keep my cool better than I thought I would, I had to drive the bike up on the trailer cause there was no doubt this guy was going to dump it on the ramp and break the bike and himself.  Last thing I need is to get sued for him hurting himself on my property.  They had no idea how to tie a bike down so I did that, gave him some tips on taking care of it, and they headed off. 

Could have been much worse I guess.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 05:25:21 am by Cvillechopper »

InaneCathode

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2008, 02:01:24 pm »
Face meet palm.

Well at least he was a nice enough guy. One of those people who doesnt know they're being a dick to people.

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2008, 02:08:07 pm »
I bet the arsehole sells it ....... and after I got the money - I would have pushed it out the driveway onto the sidewalk, and said - here take it - and load it yourself---- arsehole...

InaneCathode

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2008, 02:10:20 pm »
I'd do that too if i was vengeful and immature :O
I think cville came out on top on this one, both in money and in personality. Way to go cville :)

upperlake04

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2008, 02:14:18 pm »
 I like vengeful and immature  ;D ;D   

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
Re: CB750F - decent deal I think (make that thought) UPDATE: It's over
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2008, 05:03:27 pm »
still seems like he got shafted in this one...
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
Re: CB750F - decent deal I think (make that thought) UPDATE: It's over
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2008, 05:10:35 pm »
If you got $1000, you did okay. Buy something else you like.