Author Topic: CB350 fork rebuild?  (Read 6967 times)

Offline JLeather

• Expert
CB350 fork rebuild?
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »
So, I took the front end off of my 350 to continue my "bobber".  I need to rebuild the forks, and I'm actually not sure how to go about doing that?  Is there a source for instructions to disassemble, clean, and reassembly my forks with new seals?

Also, as a side note, when I removed the forks from the bike one of them fell apart.  The first tube I tapped out of the trees and the slider remained attached to the forktube.  On the second one, when I tapped on the tube to slide it out of the trees, the slider fell off and the springs slid out of the fork tube.  Isn't something supposed to hold that on?  The tube are in good shape (except where the headlight ears are), but the seals have been bad for some time and the forks have a lot of water/really nasty oil in them.

Offline mattcb350f

• Hardly a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB350F
Re: CB350 fork rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »
I've not yet taken apart my 350 forks, but all the other ones that I've taken apart have a circlip at the top of the tube under the dust seal. It's usually a real pain to remove. It's my understanding that when the fork "tops out" that this clip keeps the internals from launching out the top. Your's might not have been seated properly in the grove?

As for instructions I'd recommend you download the Honda manual. The think is in here somewhere  :D
 Matt.

Oh yea, I do fork rebuilds one at a time so I have a complete reference fork in case I forget how things go. Sometimes having a complete one to check is faster than trying to read the manual. Just my tecnique... ;)
1974 CB350F,  1980 CB125S,  1981 XL80S
Non Honda's: 86 & 87 Husqvarna 400wr's

My CB350F resto: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30467.0
Gallery at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=298318

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:08:14 am »
There should be an Allen bolt holding it together from the bottom. The circlip only holds the seal in
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:06:16 am »
So, if one of them fell apart it's likely that allen is either missing or stripped, huh?

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:42:59 am »
For the fork to just fall apart either the allen bolt is gone (plus the oil, and I would think the fokl is trashed) or the stopper piece that the bolt holds in is broken. The bolt is under the axle so if the wheel is on then I would expect it to still be there, ready to fall out. If you remove the axle and it's missing... then someone either evil or of limited mental and/or mechanical ability put the thing together with one fork leg unasembled and dry.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:42 am »
For the fork to just fall apart either the allen bolt is gone (plus the oil, and I would think the fokl is trashed) or the stopper piece that the bolt holds in is broken. The bolt is under the axle so if the wheel is on then I would expect it to still be there, ready to fall out. If you remove the axle and it's missing... then someone either evil or of limited mental and/or mechanical ability put the thing together with one fork leg unasembled and dry.

The stopper is to hydraulic lock fork on full compression.( the clearance and taper to to slow down hydrolocking and make end of travel more controllable)
 The top of the damper rod hold the forks together when they 'top out' with a spring and floating washer. End of fork tube is swaged to hold things together.
PJ

I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:18:10 am »
Seems the fork tube itself came apart at the "swaged" part because it just ends at an open tube.