Author Topic: old tyres can be resurrected  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
Re: old tyres can be resurrected
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 05:57:15 pm »
Point well taken, @Gordon.  Hence, the trade off I mentioned is one that I would take, if not for the price tag.  Now if I could just have my cake and eat it too...I'd hate to give away $300-$400 only to find a $25 solution.

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18:35 pm »
@ralt12, do tell about your experience.  What happened to the tyres at application and over time, to make the ride scary?  That might give us some insight into what that track compound does.

Let's just say big speed, big downforce but changing (like, a LOT lower) grip = lurid, high speed slides that you only have one or two of before you back out of it and change tires. I wish I had a video of it. All the times you see an F1 race and there's a little twitch in the car, it's like a heart attack if you haven't planned ahead for it. Those guys are all really good.

Replace your tires, pal. Of all the places to be cheap, tires are the last place. It's cheap insurance.

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 07:55:17 pm »
yes, @ralt12, but what aspect of the tyre changed?  Did they stiffen up again after 2 laps?  Did they frey, wear out, melt down, get squirmy?

Offline edbikerii

• Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 08:00:58 pm »
Yeah, some real analysis or evidence would be helpful here.  Frankly, I don't see any harm in trying out a product if you are trying to get some more life out of tires that are already otherwise shot, especially if they have plenty of tread left.
SOHC4 #289
1977 CB550K - SOLD
1997 YAMAHA XJ600S - SOLD
1986 GL1200I - SOLD
2004 BMW R1150R

Jetting: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg258435#msg258435
Needles:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20869.msg253711#msg253711

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27:06 pm »
Yeah, I'd still be keen to try it out, I've got 4 bikes that are currently registered @ 400 bucks a year, so I'm about to take three off the road leaving the BMW as my "regular rider" as opposed to a "Daily rider" because I have a company provided car so I don't ride as regularly as I used to, and I'm about to join a classic bike club (thanks to Steve K0) whereby I can get "club plates" to ride my K0, K1 and Suzuki GS1000S about as often as I ride them now, for only 100 bucks a year each.

My point is that I might be lucky to do 1000 miles per year on each of my older bikes, so I'm not all that keen about an average annual tyre bill of $1000.00+ for bikes that are really just toys nowadays. It's bad enough keeping all the batteries charged up!

I'm not that cheap that I'd ride around on cracked tyres, but the Bridgestone BT45's on the Suzuki have been on it for 9 years now, so a little softening might be in order? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)