Author Topic: 76 CB750F SS - FINISHED .. yeah right!!  (Read 37481 times)

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
76 CB750F SS - FINISHED .. yeah right!!
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:12:17 pm »
Hey guys, figured Id pots up my rebuild progress of my SS. Bought the bike a couple weeks ago from a local who had already spent some money on customizing the bike (clip ons, front suspension/brakes, rearsets, and solo seat). The bike had a definite coolness to it, but as I started looking over what needed to be finished, the work already done was kinda  ... um ... substandard for my perferences. Figured why risk it and lets just pull it down and start over.

Heres what it looked like when I bought it.

First to go were the mirrors (bleh). They are some kind of I-talian imports but I have some Rizomas on my other bike and these just dont fit this bike (looks). Next was the vintage MotoGuzzi headlight. Cool idea - but it didnt really work on the bike. By work I mean, the mini speedo gauge was mounted in the orginal oil pressure hole, and the mini tach gauge mounted to the side of the bucket .. and the iginiton stuck on the opposite side to the tach. The whole sha-bang looked out of place ... and basically cobbled. Gone. Waiting on a new headlight bucket, but Ill probably try a couple different ones to see which I like best.

So what to do with the gauges? Well, I boxed em up and sent them to a friend who makes custom gauge brackets. The upper left one. I want the ignition right there in the center. Should look nice. It'll be powdercoated black ...

Of course, the tank and seat were pulled. I already had a tank/seat combo built for me a year ago. Ended up selling the previous bike before I even got started and put the Benjie tank up for future use (glad I didnt sell it). Funny thing, the seat that was on the bike when I bought it is a Benjie seat as well. Built to fit the stock SS tank. Pretty cool I thought.

Went ahead and did a test-fit.

Now were cooking with gas! Yeah come on! Still had to order a new petcock and gas cap assembly to fit the Benjie tank.

But, can you see the rear sets? They are Raask. The shifter arm has the mount on the top side. funky. cool if you want to shift like you are racing the motoGP I suppose. All gears are backwards. ie: 1 up, 4 down. The brake side was typical interfence with the kicker and the rear brake aint even hooked up. No M/C or nothing. Pulled them. Still yet to decide what Im gonna do for a replacement. Probably try to fit something with a set of stockers off a RC51 or R6.

Thats about it for now. Still cleaning stuff. Making a list of parts needed or wanted (like some new controls). Pulled the exhaust (bleh). Need to get a new battery. Need some new (sk)rims.

More to come ...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:00:30 pm by Bonafide »

troppo

Re: 76 CB750F SS
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:16:17 pm »
now thats going to be a beautiful bike when she`s done...
love the tank/seat combo
cheers
troppo

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 05:02:39 am »
I love that gauge bracket. This is cool, we've got three F's on the project page right now. GO F's!!!

When the PO put the rearsets on, I wonder if he didn't switch the shifter with the brake lever? That would, in theory, reverse the direction of the shifting on the shifting side and make hooking up the rear brake near impossible. Might be worth investigating if you were if going to keep them.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline garretcb750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:23:40 am »
I have the same set for my F. Looks like he mounted the shifter arm that mounts on the engine upside down. you'll also have to mount the linkage to the outside of both shifter arms.. it will not clear the crankcase. the picture is not too clear but you can see what i mean.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:01:46 pm »
thanks Garrett. Ill give it a try and see if that works, but I seem to remember something wwasnt right when I tried it like that. Maybe the linkage was on the wrong side?

Offline garretcb750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:29:28 pm »
BTW.... i know a guy that would buy that old benji seat from you? are you willing to sell it?

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:32:42 pm »
Havent decided what Im going to do with leftover parts yet. Ill be sure to post an ad in the classifieds if I decide to sell anything. thanks.

BTW - I got to messing with the Raask rearset and had to 'massage' the shifter linkage, but I was able to get things working the way they should. Thanks for posting that picture. It really gave me what I needed to get past my mental block of getting these to work. Now, the rear brake is still up for grabs.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:29:35 pm »
Got some finned covers in today from forum member mikedialect (thanks mike) and immediately went to garage for polishing and paint. The pic doesnt do them justice. They turned out GREAT looking. Shining like a mirror! Now they get set aside while I continue to work on other parts of the bike.

Offline garretcb750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »
Yah... unfortunatly the brake side hits the kicker on mine too... even if i fold the peg up it still hits the brake arm.... i think with alittle heat and massaging you can bend the kickstart arm to clear the pedal with the peg folded up. I am going to try shortly with a spare kickstart.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 08:54:54 am »
Got some finned covers in today from forum member mikedialect (thanks mike) and immediately went to garage for polishing and paint. The pic doesnt do them justice. They turned out GREAT looking. Shining like a mirror! Now they get set aside while I continue to work on other parts of the bike.

Looking good! I knew they would serve ya right :):)
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 11:38:30 am »
got a photo-mock-up of the gauge bracket that a friend is building for this project. Looking good. The numbered circles are going to be the general locations for the bright/neutral/engine indicator lights. The MotoGuzzi headlight is gone - got the new headlight together, but need to find some mounts. everthing is coming along ... slowly, but it's still moving fwd.

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 11:57:56 am »
That is a Tight set up!  what type of speedo/tach gauges are those? they look smaller than my stock cb750's. (it's a 77).  One future mod for my bike is something like this, simple and clean.  I would prefer as low profile as possible.  I'm really enjoying your build and can't wait to see more!

Rach~
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 01:11:14 pm »
mini gauges from Mike's XS ... they're 2.25". MUCH smaller than stock ones. here's a link, scroll down for the gauges.

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-accessories.php?category_id=8.1

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:34:27 pm »
Yo, those mini gauges are HOT!

I lovem.  You bud's bracket is great too.

Nice looking work going on there.  Keep it up, you'll be riding in no time.

:D
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 07:43:44 am »
Still moving fwded on this slower than expected project. Real life keeps getting in the way of me actually having the time to spend on it - so for the most part, it sits patiently awaiting. I did get in some more parts. The IKON 7614-1296 shocks fit like a glove.

The MAC exhaust, on the other hand, did not. I got a couple suggestions of bending the # 2 and # 3 primaries, but I havent had the chance to work on this. Having already spent 2 separate days (about 1 1/2hrs each time) trying to get the exhaust to fit, I'm not exciting about going at it again. Frustrating for something I thought would be a bolt on and go swap. The exhaust CAN is not on in this pic. I pulled it while I was attempting installation, then went ahead and pulled the baffle while I was at it. I like a LOUD bike .... ;)

My plans are for the bike to be Black. Blacked out all over. Cant decide if I want a slick/deep glossy professional paint job or a murdered out stealth-fighter BBQ rattle can special.

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 07:49:12 am »
Is it normal for the MAC exhausts to not fit right?  are they designed for a different bike or just poor quality?  The bike's looking good and the shocks are killer!~  Keep it up!
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 08:21:24 am »
Is it normal for the MAC exhausts to not fit right?  are they designed for a different bike or just poor quality?  The bike's looking good and the shocks are killer!~  Keep it up!

The part number I ordered was specifically for this bike. After doing a search, it seems to be a common problem for them to have slight fitment issues. What I'm having is the # 2&3 tubes are not allowing enough thread exposure past the joint so I can start a nut. This might just be an issue with the studs not being long enough or the joint collars too long, but the # 1 & 4 pipes fit perfect.

I can get them to fit, but I'm disappointed in having to massage a part into place that (I think) should fit right out of the box. But hey, you never know what parts have been changed on a 30 yr old bike.

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 06:03:35 am »
...are they designed for a different bike or just poor quality?

There's your issue... Sorry. Personal opinion. I'll butt out now.   ;)  The Mac's must sound better with the "baffle" out. They rattle and vibrate so much with the darned things in that they could only be quieter without them.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 06:32:10 am »
well, the cheaper price is one reason I bought them. I didnt want to spend money on new quality chrome if my plans were to black it out.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:02 pm »
Been awhile, but I just got my custom gauge bracket from a friend in the mail today. Great timing (sarcasm) as I had a slight low side on my Bonneville last week. I wont be up to fiddlin with the CB for a few more weeks, but here's a pic or two of the new cluster. I can put the ignition cover on or off ... he sent me two different bezels. Before you ask, it was expensive. With that said, it is high quality/professional grade stuff. Something I wouldnt have the ability to make - I dont have access to CAD/CNC stuff. All I sent him were the two gauges and ignition (with harnesses). He supplied/built everything else.

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 04:03:50 am »
That is really nice.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 09:57:56 am »
Are those mini guages the correct ratio to work with the Honda speedo sensor?
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 04:18:51 pm »
What I thought would be a winter project has definitely turned into a 'it'll get done when I have the time' project.  ;D

Got the tank/seat/side covers back from the painter. Slick as glass. There's 6 coats of clear on it. Looks wet!

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:44 pm »
That looks beautiful!!!

Do you still have the old Benjie seat for this F?
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 03:48:25 am »
That looks beautiful!!!

Do you still have the old Benjie seat for this F?

Thanks, and yes - I still have the previous Benjie seat and stock tank that was on it when I bought it.