Author Topic: 76 CB750F SS - FINISHED .. yeah right!!  (Read 37484 times)

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
Re: 76 CB750F SS - FINISHED!!
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2009, 01:25:43 pm »
I gotta ask.  What was the donorbike of the brake MC and the clutch perch/lever?  I bet you get the stupidest grin on your face when you look at your bike.  Nice work!

-Chris

They're brand new parts. Ordered new universal switches/MC for a 7/8" bar application .. and yes, I'm VERY happy with the outcome - feels like prom night :) - I'll try to get a video of it done next week.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2009, 05:09:29 pm »
Very nice, love the dash..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »
Great job. Isn't it amazing how a small project can turn into a few years and LOTS of cash?!

Can you provide links for your suppliers? Especially the rotors. I have 2 that need to be sent off. Is that a 120 hole pattern?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2009, 01:18:49 am »
I'm quite amazed that the drill pattern on the front rotors is directional.

Nice touch!

FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2009, 01:44:41 am »
Nice, very nice mate...bet she got more looks than those pieces of plastic in the background of that bike shop photo ha ha.
OK looks like a def starter for the July BOTM.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2009, 07:29:54 am »
Great job. Isn't it amazing how a small project can turn into a few years and LOTS of cash?!

Can you provide links for your suppliers? Especially the rotors. I have 2 that need to be sent off. Is that a 120 hole pattern?

Thanks Jerry. All I have is the an email contact for guy who did the work on the rotor, (racersuprv at bellsouth net)

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2009, 10:11:08 am »
Wow ... just got back from my first gooood ride on my SS since owning it - even though local showers cut it shorter than I wanted just yet - it was still Nirvana for sure. Wonderful feeling to ride this thing down the road with the tach hitting redline and the open exhaust just a screaming as you bust the Ton. As my grandfather use to say, "Hawt Dayum."

Many thanks for this forum. I dont chat here much but your tech tips and inspirational pics really did help me along the way.

Offline Pete T

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »
wow amazing bike..! see you got that stang in the background, looks like an LX, is that 5.0 or 4 banger? had one myself, same color too. fox bodies are the #$%*

Offline babyfood1217

• The only way to drink espresso is as a
  • Hot Shot
  • I miss my baby...
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2009, 01:39:03 am »
Universal MC.  Is the brand Shindy?  I'm asking because I'm curious of the piston size.  You have a dual disc setup and I'd be willing to bet the piston is 14mm.  Am I right?  I'm only running single, but I need more fluid movement and I would prefer an MC with a remote res. like that.  Man this build looks nice.  Hurry up with that vid :) ;D

I need help moving my project bike from Wisconsin to Seattle, WA.  Willing to pay well.  Contact if interested.

SOHC member: #438

Project: 1976 CB750K
GSXR forks, Monoshock Rear end, 836 in progress, RC51 pipes, custom frame and everything else.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2009, 02:14:14 am »
Chris, I dont want to steer you wrong - I honestly dont know the brand or the size. I took the bike to a friend who's built some cafes before - showed him what I had and what I wanted; an updated front brake MC that had a remote res and would work with my existing disc. He ordered the M/C, lines and all. The original controls were so wasted and pretty much in-effective. I'll ask him for a the brand name/size and where he ordered it. I was also missing all of the rear brake components. I bought a bunch of stuff off ebay and pieced together the rear set up - I am amazed how it works better than some new bikes I have.

PeteT - good eye, it's a 89 LX SSP Coupe. Use to be a Georgia State Patrol car. That's my next project. :)

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2009, 01:02:20 pm »
More pictures ... and I already see things I want to change/update. HA! Does it ever end!?!?

I was trying to keep the bike in a balance with new cool updated parts, while still keeping some of that 30 yr old patina.
Here's a few closer/detail shots.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »
last one ...

Spillman

Re: 76 CB750F SS
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2009, 08:01:57 am »
Been awhile, but I just got my custom gauge bracket from a friend in the mail today. Great timing (sarcasm) as I had a slight low side on my Bonneville last week. I wont be up to fiddlin with the CB for a few more weeks, but here's a pic or two of the new cluster. I can put the ignition cover on or off ... he sent me two different bezels. Before you ask, it was expensive. With that said, it is high quality/professional grade stuff. Something I wouldnt have the ability to make - I dont have access to CAD/CNC stuff. All I sent him were the two gauges and ignition (with harnesses). He supplied/built everything else.

that is very nice. Might need to look into getting one for my bike

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
Re: 76 CB750F SS
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2009, 02:55:47 pm »
that is very nice. Might need to look into getting one for my bike

He mainly caters to the Bonneville crowd, but here's his email davidnyne@yahoo.com or you can visit the www.newbonnevilleriders.com website and look under D9 Brackets.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:58:25 pm by Bonafide »

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »
What price range are we looking at here?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2009, 08:05:14 pm »
OK more info please, what type of gauges are they and what did yours cost?

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2009, 09:13:33 pm »
I traded out for my gauge bracket/cups/etc - the speedo and tach were already on the bike when I bought from the previous owner. Cant really tell you where he got them, but they work very well. I sent those gauges to D9 (the gauge bracket genius) in STL - he custom-made the bracket and cups - and sent them back. I have 3 other gauge brackets from D9 on my Bonnies and Thruxton (now sold).

You'll need to contact David Nyne aka D9 and for a quote. Be forewarned, his prices reflect his exceptional attention to detail and quality.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2009, 02:32:55 pm »
Polished on a few bits and pieces and now have right at 500 miles on it. Couple things I've discovered in those miles; 150miles in an afternoon  = sore ass on a benjie seat. The speedo needle stopped working about 240mi mark. Cable still good, so went to look for a new gauge. Found out 'it is recommended you use their special adapter' or the speedo will break. Good grief, why sell something without a necessary part? The adapter is almost as much as the speedo. bleh. The Odometer still works and it's right on correct so who needs to know how fast their going, right? Today during my 150+ mile afternoon ride - the tach starts giving false readings ...wtf!?!? Oh well, the joys of owning one I suppose.

It rides out nice and definitely fills up the fun meter ... I'm good with it's flaws.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 12:59:06 pm »
Rode 262 miles on Weds last week up thru the North GA Mtns. If you're from the area, then you've most likely heard about Blood Mtn, Suches, or "The Loop". Absolutely a wonderful day, but did have some lower back ache the next day from the riding position - which I thought was odd seeing how a long portion of my riding life has been spent in a sportbike saddle for hours on end. Otherwise, the bike performed flawlessly ... as in it was a thrilling day of riding which resulted in me falling asleep with a stupid grin on my face.

I did have issues with the Rizoma mirrors/universal bar ends - both of which were parts I had laying around that were handy at the time of the build and cheap(er) to use than buying something new. For one, the mirrors are 1:1 aspect so your field of vision sucks. Two, the bar ends were some generic universal kind they use a typical rubber bushing to secure themselves inside the bar - which causes the transfer of vibration not only to your hands, but also causes the mirror to vibrate like crap too. I have some CRGs on another bike and REALLY like their looks and performance so I ordered the CB/SS some. Mo' better now.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
Re: 76 CB750F SS - FINISHED .. yeah right!!
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2009, 11:38:57 am »
Now have over 1,000 miles on the F and nothing really new to add. Just been riding it every chance I get and it's rock steady. I did make a short video right after getting it back together and added that to youtube. Only revving to 3k rpms - the audio doesnt really capture the intensity .. or how it echos off the neighbors house across the cul-de-sac. :)

Need to mount up the helmet cam and get some video of it on the road!!

Offline HellFishTat

• Enthusiast
  • I've UPGRADED to a '99 BMW R1100S
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 06:55:27 pm »
that is beautiful.
Cheers!
and Ride Safe.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 07:27:31 pm »
Thanks mang. I'm still enjoying it - has something like 1400 miles since buttoning everything up. I rode it last night to the local bike night - great temps at night around here right now. People kept coming up wanting me to start it - open exhaust and I just give give it a lazy step on the kick starter. Bike runs really good and it's an absolute blast to ride.

I picked up another CB750 and I'm busy collecting parts for it. It's going to be a little more stock appearing (tank/seat-wise) ... but it should still pull some looks.

Offline HellFishTat

• Enthusiast
  • I've UPGRADED to a '99 BMW R1100S
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2009, 07:46:10 pm »
about 2 yrs ago I put a deposit down on one of Benjie's tank/seat combo's.  Back then he only did metal.  After about 4 weeks, I started to get anxious that he may be a scam.  Now I know he's not, and I wish I would have followed through.  I could have been sitting on a full metal for the price of a fiberglass.  Turns out, as he explained it to me, he was a the very beginning stages of offering a the fiberglass combo's and was all consumed with getting the molds right.

oh well...live and learn.
Cheers!
and Ride Safe.

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2009, 11:03:06 am »
I havent been out and riding my CB in so long that I forgot how much fun this bike really is. The best part, is the looks on people's face when you roll up on it. Not the typical cookie-cutter sport bike or Harley bling-bling you see every day. Today is an exceptionally nice day - weather wise - but I have to go in to the office and catch up on some paperwork ... and I'm taking this CB.

Made a short video of just riding around the neighborhood (Filmed by my wife the Camera/Director).

Just a quick walk around ...

Offline Bonafide

• Enthusiast
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »
Well .... it made me sick to my stomach to do so, but I listed my 1976 CB750F SS on eBay.

Why? I've got my eye on a new toy and cant swing it without freeing up garage space and money. If the SS does sell, I'll probably regret it. :(