Author Topic: I'm afraid of rebuilding the engine......help  (Read 15142 times)

legendary

Resources Northeast Pennsylvania
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 10:56:26 am »
Guys,
         this thread is great and very,very timely for me. Motor has been out of the frame for two days. I am fairly mechanically inclined but have never rebuilt an engine.  Based upon this thread I am leaning toward taking the leap.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources in my area? Wilkes-Barre, PA?

I'll need parts, access to a hot tank, and a machine shop that can measure and machine as necessary.  If there is anybody local who would consider mentoring me that would be great too.

Otherwise we'll keep this thread going and I'll take all the coaching I can get...or help finding another engine if it goes badly. :)

Steve

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I'm afraid of rebuilding the engine......help
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 11:25:47 am »
This does seem like a great thread, with great info. about engine tear-downs and rebuilding. Anyone have a objection with moving it to the Tips and Tricks?
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 12:29:24 pm »
Anyone scared , think back to before you rode a bicycle!!  Were you any more scared??

Remember..it is the simplest of motors & could be the stepping stone to  way more wrenching down the road and a chance to funnel your cash into even more goodies for your bikes. The worst that can happen.. you screw it up.. but there is lots of parts out there and way cheaper than screwing up a new motor.. like a Busa or even an old CBX.. now that would get expen$ive!!
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline shoemanII

• Enthusiast
  • just another bike nut
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 02:28:25 pm »
am following this thread myself, engines' been out for a few days; new top end gaskets are on order as is the manual.  during disassembly, i took notes/pics of the rocker assy parts and cam, and location of all "o" rings, dowels, etc.  have kept all parts together, used baggies as needed. 

no need to split the cases and dive into the mains or transmission, shifts cleanly and only 22K miles on this engine.   

many thanks for the reassembly tips! 
bobp
'96 ducati carb'd 900ss/cr 
'72 dt2
'77cb550k frankenberry:  '77cb550k frame, '78cb550k engine, '78cb550f tank, unknown front-end

Javier

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 01:13:37 pm »
so, any updates? I hope to be starting my 78 cb750k motor this summer as I have my 75 cb400f to ride now, and would be thrilled to hear about your progress.... good luck - javi