Author Topic: Help with front brakes  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
Help with front brakes
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:34:15 pm »
I'm going to tackle my front brake once we get a "brake" from all this snow (no garage to work in) and was wondering if anyone would point me to where I can get all the parts (I'll need a bleeder too). It's for my 75 CB550K, and I figure while I've got the brake apart I might as well replace everything. The front brake kept dragging last year and I got by with spraying brake cleaner on the disk each morning (probably not the best thing to do) which seemed to help.

This is my first time tackling brakes on a bike. Will I need a jack to pull this off or can I get by resting the frame on blocks? I had one of those Craftsman bike jacks but decided to take it back since I would have had to remove my exhaust in order to use it (is there any way to avoid that or do all jacks require that)? Thanks in advance for any help.  ;)
75 CB550
70 CB350 gone to new home

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: Help with front brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:38:37 pm »
In answer to the second part of your question, this can probably be done using the center stand since you will probably not need to remove the wheel. Most of the parts you need can probably be gotten from Honda. I know the Master Cylinder parts are available since i bought them last year. 
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:00:08 pm »
Did you go through your local dealer for parts? Everytime that I've tried to get parts from Honda the dealers tell me they've been discontinued.
75 CB550

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:12:29 pm »
Yes I did. They were helpful. I found some who were total dicks. This is where I went, but there  are others out on the web.

http://www.houseofhonda.com/

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:29:06 am »
(is there any way to avoid that or do all jacks require that)? Thanks in advance for any help.  ;)
Yes they do until you either get one with the screw in frame holders or make a set to fit. (I just use a couple of wood blocks as I'm too lazy to make something)  ;D ;D
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:43:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions once i get into it.
75 CB550

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »
This is the answer place.

Offline Badger 5

• Hot Shot
    • Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:18 pm »
I just tackled my brakes last summer so if you need help let me know.  If I remember correctly I'm just a couple blocks away.
76 CB550K
75 CB200T
68 CL160 (AHRMA R78)
07 Triumph Bonneville Black
75 XS650

Offline tinyrobot

• Hot Shot
  • Mock it up before you Fock it up!
    • ChiVinMoto
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:19:04 pm »
I got my parts for servicehonda.com when I did mine last spring.  I will be doing the second one and readjusting both for my Double Disk set up come warmer weather.  If your near downtown (west loop) I can stop by for a little help too.

Offline Badger 5

• Hot Shot
    • Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 04:55:23 pm »
I got a speedbleeder off eBay. I think the company is here in IL but shipping was cheaper on eBay.  I also got a SS piston on eBay.  My piston was pretty eaten up so with the SS piston I shouldn't have to worry about it. I can't think of the seller right off hand but he is in the good guys section.  He sent me the piston and the gasket plus some silicone grease and good instructions.  I'll post that thread below.  The rest of the replacement parts I got from Service Honda as well.  Good prices but they have a minimum shipping fee so think of anything else you might need.  Service Honda is in Hammond IN so a lot of times I get my stuff next day even with ground shipping. 

Once you get into it, it's not that bad.  I was nervous because of the fact that I was messing with my brakes but I had a voice of experience over my shoulder to help.  I think the most important thing to do is be sure to clean the hell out of everything once you get the caliper apart.  Mine looked like it have been sitting at the bottom of the Chicago River for a couple years.  Also, if you are even thinking about rebuilding your M/C and getting new brake lines you might as well do it all in one shot.  Like I said before I'm not to far away and have a garage if you want a roof over your head ;D

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=23001.0
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 04:59:33 pm by Badger 5 »
76 CB550K
75 CB200T
68 CL160 (AHRMA R78)
75 XS650

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »
Thanks again for the input. I have been MIA for quite  a while. Badger, I was thinking about rebuilding the MC along with the  new line .I need to look up all the part numbers and  order everything.  If you don't mind my asking how much was the ss piston? There's a place in Cali that sells them for $50-55 which seems steep.
75 CB550

Offline Badger 5

• Hot Shot
    • Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 04:30:31 pm »
That's a good price.  Mine was around 70 if I remember correctly. I just figured I would buy a couple over the years if I bought the regular ones and if I bought a SS one it should be the last one. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:33:33 pm by Badger 5 »
76 CB550K
75 CB200T
68 CL160 (AHRMA R78)
75 XS650