Author Topic: CHENG SHIN Tires  (Read 27530 times)

Offline dboblet

• Enthusiast
  • OMG - what did I get myself into this time!!??!!
Re: CHENG SHIN Tires
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2008, 11:23:30 am »
Another thing to keep in mind is that the tires have changed over the years.  The early tires were.... not so good (tongue in cheek) but the more modern tires are an improvement in both materials and construction/design.  Well, heck, they're not top end tires, but I'm not likely to spend $200/tire for a commute bike.  If I get into cafe racing through the hills, I'll go with a more established high performance tire.  The Himax touring tires are H rated and the tread pattern is one I like, more like cafe tires.  I remember my old KZ900 years ago didn't have these wrap-around-style treads and the edges would feather creating a dump hazzard when I ground off the dyno-guards on the freeway on-ramps.... oops, admitting something here... never mind, didn't say it didn't do it, but... um... very pretty sparks at night, not that I'd know anything about that.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I think of my Cheng's once I get them mounted, give me a couple weeks.

And I'll contribute to the keg if you make it up to 'gold country' in Calif, just give me a call.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline cafe750

• Hot Shot
  • If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2008, 07:05:21 am »
The first set of tires that I put on my '73 750 were Hi-Max's. I didn't have much cash at the moment, and I really wanted to ride my new bike. I rode pretty hard on those tires, in fact, my bike was on those tires when the pic in my avatar was taken. If you got too carried away, the tires would let you know you were at their limit, without suddenly "washing out". They did me well, without any complaints. I did replace them with Bridgestone Spitfires, and in the handling department, it was a night and day difference....But, for those CS's, they were a great tire for the money...(puts helmet on and hides)  :)
"It's an old motorcycle, the wind is supposed to blow your head around, it's supposed to leak oil, the brakes should suck, and every now and then, it should scare you so bad you piss your pants."

Roy, Washington

Offline aptech77

• Expert
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2008, 08:28:33 am »
WOW......... 8 pages of

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2008, 08:46:06 pm »
Well it was only 7 before you added that great insight.................  :P
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)