Author Topic: Cracks in Engine Casing  (Read 3303 times)

Roscoe

Cracks in Engine Casing
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:18:54 pm »
Hey guys,
Is this a problem?

I have been cleaning off the old paint before repainting the engine for my 78 CB750 F2 and noticed these. There appears to be no gaps and no oil has been seeping out. Can I ignore them or is it a major issue? They look a bit like stress cracks.

Offline Aaron J Williams

• Old Biker
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 725
    • Dude's Garage
Re: Cracks in Engine Casing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:29:06 pm »
Not to worry, they are just casting marks from the look of them.
There are old bikers and there are bold bikers but there are very few old, bold bikers.

Quote from: Gordon
Not doing what you can to make your bike ride-able during the best riding months of the year kind of defeats the purpose of owning it in the first place.

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:07:50 pm »
couldn't you magnaflux the case to check for cracks? I may be calling it by the wrong name; I had the block of my old triumph gt6 submitted to a process that exposed hairline cracks  before  I rebuilt the engine.

hym
"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:12:33 pm »
Here's the post about the casting marks.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=31143.0

Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:27:13 pm »
 My engines have looked much the same and "cracks" were in damn near the same spot as yours. No worries, paint will hide them ;) :)
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Roscoe

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:46:59 pm »
Thank you all very much for the replies. You have certainly taken a great weight off my shoulders. As it is for the f2 the finished engine will be satin black so hopefully it will hide the cracks. Thanks again for all your help. I don't know what I would do without this forum. Bloody glad I found it.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
What is the fourth number from the right side going to the left? Is it diecast or sandcast?

Cracks like that a common on diecast later in the runs..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:32:27 pm »
couldn't you magnaflux the case to check for cracks? I may be calling it by the wrong name; I had the block of my old triumph gt6 submitted to a process that exposed hairline cracks  before  I rebuilt the engine.

hym

Hym, I had a 68 GT6, fun ride.

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:39:38 pm »
I rebuilt the engine and then got divorced... >:( I still have the engine. I hope to rebuild a GT6+ around it once I get this bike of mine built like I want it.

hym
"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline merc2dogs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 07:41:25 pm »
 You normally get marks like that from a mold that's not warmed up all the way, generally morning shift stuff

Worked at a couple diecasting shops and morning shift would throw the first few castings into the re-melt pile  because of the way the cold molds would 'crack' the castings. Mondays would be a real pain as EVERYTHING was cold, and often everything for the first hour and a half was re-melt.

Normally not a problem as mentioned earlier.

Ken

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 08:04:16 pm »
If it looks like what I had, it really is no big deal, just a screw up from the factory, and seemingly the reason why they painted it..  I stripped mine all down to begin polishing, and found those lil buggers...

Can't polish it away, nor no amount of sandpaper will get rid of it. The only option I was left with was to paint that section back with ceramic high temp paint..
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »
They're probably similar to (if not the same as) "knit lines" like that which is experienced in plastic injection molding, where the material goes around an obstruction within a mold and rejoins, leaving those lines.  The material is slightly cold at the leading edge of the pour, and then has trouble rejoining with itself.  A hot mold will lessen the appearance of these lines, but slows production.

Roscoe

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:11 am »
What is the fourth number from the right side going to the left? Is it diecast or sandcast?

Cracks like that a common on diecast later in the runs..

Its B750GE-1005159. By all that I have found out its a 1978 f2 model general export.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:10:50 am »
Don't worry about it mate, as has been said before it was common on CB750 engines, and if everybody here could look closely at their bare unpainted engine cases they'd probably see those "cracks" too. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:57 am »
Ditto Terry and Scondon.  Mine had the same texture when I had it stripped for painting.  (77 cb750f)
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)