Author Topic: Float bowl gasket  (Read 14724 times)

NE550

Float bowl gasket
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:33:41 pm »
  I removed the old one and can't get the new one to stay in position as i'm screwing the bowl onto the carb.  Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to keep them from popping out. It's driving me crazy!

Matt

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
Re: Float bowl gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:58:40 pm »
A light dab of grease on the gasket surface should help, although not ideal you could use a very thin smear of gasket sealer on the same surface.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:52:51 pm »
(a)A bit of a contact-cement type adhesive(Weldwood, FelCoBond, Gasgacinch, 3M spray trim glue....) applied SPARINGLY to the bottom of the groove and one side of the ring - allowed to dry for a few, then pressed together.

or..

(b)A bit of whatever sticky tape is handy - small pieces in the corners just barely holding the ring in the groove. Screw the bowl on carefully, pulling out the tape before the bowl casting contacts the carb body.
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

NE550

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:36 pm »
MR.BLASTY your grease suggestion worked great.  Thanks a Million

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:54:56 pm »
No problem, I think I may have got that trick from the forum.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

ws6transam

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:17:20 pm »
Another tip for you:
Newer gaskets from a rebuild kit will sometimes swell in the presence of gasoline. When this happens and you pop those newly rebuilt carbs apart in order to mess with the jets or floats, you won't be able to get it back together without pinching the newly swelled gasket and causing a nasty leak. What you need to do is heat the gaskets with an oven for an hour or let them sit overnight in order to let the gas evaporate. The gaskets will return to their original size and you'll be able to stick them into place without too much drama.

NE550

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:44:49 am »
Great tip.  I actually had that happen last year with my 72 CB350.  I couldn't understand why they were too big after I just took them out and they it just fine.  Oh well now I know.

Thanks!

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:56 pm »
Just wanted to share what I've found after experiencing my own personal cb550 round float bowl gasket hell.

Im trying to get the jetting right on this thing so the carbs come off and on all the time, also because Im too lazy to derust the gas tank so I have to clean them a lot.  They leaked a lot too because I could never get the gasket to go in quite right.  But now I no longer smell like gasoline :-).  Not for that reason anyway.

here's what I have found...

1. Wrong part for the job -

The float bowl gaskets replacement parts for the cb550 k1 are just a round o-ring even though the bowl isn't shaped like that.  The thing that sucks is that the groove that they are supposed to fit into is really shallow, so it's really difficult to keep them from springing back to their normal shape so they will stay in place.  I didn't want to use grease to keep them in place because I was afraid of something clogging the jets. 

Solution: part#SCI2634 at http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=1086

It says they're for a CB350, but they fit the CB550 perfectly.

2. Stretched Gaskets

Last time I cleaned my carbs, the gaskets were stretched out and pinched when I tried to reassemble. 

I've cut the excess off before, but I don't think that's a very good solution.  Some people say cut the excess and superglue them but I would think the gas would dissolve the glue and deposits could clog the jets.  This time around I put them in a pot of boiling water for about a minute and they returned to their former size and once again fit perfectly.

Before I found that alternate part I was seriously considering putting 750 carbs on because of the nice flat gaskets.
Hope this is helpful to someone years after the original post...
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »
Just a very thin coating of clear nail polish in the groove, it holds them in place nicely.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Ausmithe

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »
I was having the same trouble with the round gaskets for my CB500. I found a can of spray adhesive was just perfect. I sprayed the gasket, then the grove, let sit for a minute or so and then the gasket will stay in the shape of the groove. I was careful to hold a piece of paper over the remainder of the bowl while spraying each side to prevent any over-spray from getting in the bowl or clogging the tip of the overflow tube.
1974 CB750
1972 CB500

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »
Just wanted to share what I've found after experiencing my own personal cb550 round float bowl gasket hell.

Im trying to get the jetting right on this thing so the carbs come off and on all the time, also because Im too lazy to derust the gas tank so I have to clean them a lot.  They leaked a lot too because I could never get the gasket to go in quite right.  But now I no longer smell like gasoline :-).  Not for that reason anyway.

The float bowl gaskets replacement parts for the cb550 k1 are just a round o-ring even though the bowl isn't shaped like that.  The thing that sucks is that the groove that they are supposed to fit into is really shallow, so it's really difficult to keep them from springing back to their normal shape so they will stay in place.  I didn't want to use grease to keep them in place because I was afraid of something clogging the jets. 

Solution: part#SCI2634 at http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=1086

2. Stretched Gaskets

Last time I cleaned my carbs, the gaskets were stretched out and pinched when I tried to reassemble. 

I've cut the excess off before, but I don't think that's a very good solution.  Some people say cut the excess and superglue them but I would think the gas would dissolve the glue and deposits could clog the jets.  This time around I put them in a pot of boiling water for about a minute and they returned to their former size and once again fit perfectly.

Before I found that alternate part I was seriously considering putting 750 carbs on because of the nice flat gaskets.

NEVER cut a float bowl gasket. It can cause a leak and a fire!!!!!!

Offline CapsLock911

• '73 CB500 Four
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:10:02 am »
C(b)hris

I just received my gaskets from siriusconic.com for my cb500 four. While they are still a little tight, they are nothing like the other set of OEM gaskets that were driving me crazy. I have two on now and am putting the other two together. I used Hylomar on the sides and corners to hold them firm.

I have CAM 4 into 1 and pod filters. I'm re-jetting to 125 main to see how it goes. From what I've read, I will be taking these carbs on and off alot til I get the jetting right. It's my first bike project and this is one of the toughest parts. Rebuilding the engine was a breeze compared to this...lol (with the original OEM gaskets)

Thanks for the link. I also ordered jet kit and jet cleaning tool from siriusonic. Their prices weren't too bad.
life is like cards - if you got a pair, you just might beat the odds

Offline mickwinf

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »
to fit the round type o rings to the float bowls on my 500 i put a small dab of superglue in each corner of the groove then hold each corner in place for 20 seconds or so, job done!

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 07:52:30 pm »

2. Stretched Gaskets

NEVER cut a float bowl gasket. It can cause a leak and a fire!!!!!!
You know something Lucky, you are 100% correct. There was a thread of some who had his ride go up in flames while he was riding.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?