Author Topic: Ericha, the K1 in a bucket.  (Read 1720 times)

Offline FT20BAS

• Making barn finds, just that little bit rattier looking.
Ericha, the K1 in a bucket.
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:27:25 am »
greetings all. coupla briefin shots of the status quo that shouldn't be doing much in the way of moving forward anytime soon. in the tray of my ute is a good chunk of what should in the longterm become a motor for my dads old 750/4. out of the two sets of top and bottom ends is bound to be enough parts to create one good donk. what excites me is i haven't got the starter motor or the valve collets. or the air cleaner or numerous other bits. why be happy bout that? cos theres a very good chance that somewhere in another bucket will be my missing parts hopefully including a good set of rockers and a mint cam as what i have now is rusty, crusty, and delapidated. in the interim will be the soaking of a large quantity of fiddly intricate parts in diesel and mollasses to determine whats salvable and what'll be spending eternity as doorstops and dust receptacles.

while i'm sure none of you will gaze upon the contents of the following with my levels of anticipation, rest assured that since i stopped seeing a large two-tone blue with gold striping behemoth in the front garden around 9 years of age, i've been looking forward to the day when i'd hear it bellow into life through it's hanco 4 into 1 system and revereberate off walls, houses and saunter on down the road. the big difference is, this time i, intend to be on it feeling the smooth thrum of four torquey pots doin their thing as opposed to just seeing and hearing it float into the distance. 22 years apart, there's gonna be pitfalls but short of my uncles rapide, this is the bike i've most longed for to see going and rideable. sure, i have bikes that are faster, rarer, more expensive and/or more usable day to day but this is an evocative sound waiting to happen that has snapped my neck to hear for 2 decades.

as always, i am hoping to get through this project without spending an exorbitant amount, and using as much as comes with it as posible but am willing to splurge wherever demanded to resurrect her back to the "reliable as a nail, everyday" beast of burden she was for her first life, but a litte more reverered and pampered. she'll be a welcome addition to my fleet and should hopefully bring a smile back to my dads face even if he stands by the view that it handes like a brick and brakes only marginally better than his 62 norton dominator. i already have timewarp bikes that take me back to 49, 81, the mid 50's that is a 71 model built behind the iron curtain and access through mates to current roadburners but i'm probably more longing for what this one can provide than any of the others. the beginning of an era, disc brakes OHC's electric starters and the start of reliable 200 kph roadburners that didn't breakdown or cost the earth. it has many imitators and heir apparents but was where it all began.

wish me luck people.

If you've lost your faith in love and music then the end won't be long.
Because if it's gone for you, I too may lose it, and that would be wrong.

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Re: Ericha, the K1 in a bucket.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:35:54 am »
Good luck, looks like you have enough for almost two motors! :)

Rick
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline FT20BAS

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:28 am »
thanks for the encouragement rick. have been having fun unseizing parts and sorting bad from worse components while waiting for my 400 head to come back.

one of the two is essentially a lost cause without a hefty cash injection with holes burnt in two of the piston crowns, hefty corrosion of the valvespring seat areas (rat urine must be pretty bloody caustic), rusty bores, and a hideous two part epoxy resin "repair" in the cases where the chain has smashed in front of the countershaft sprocket. it'll serve as parts and has already been handy as a briefing on the 750 layout. it's been quite a contrast to the 400, my gsx and anything else i've been inside.

not a real fan of chain driven primaries but clearly they've worked for ages in thousands of these things. have installed them and the cam chain (dunno why they were out but they proved easy enough to slip back in) and reattached the case halves and barrel/head/camcover. having then deadlifted this from the back of my trayback utility and carried it to my shed, i can safely that i don't think the bike is gonna get airborne any time soon. this is definitely not a light motor. plus the weight of the cam, rockers, pistons and alternator, i think i'll get a hand to carry my usable motor around when it's together.  

the good cases will be split next week to determine why the crank won't turn. the bottom end was refurbished prior to being laid up and dads mentioned that he thought the new bearings were on the tight side even then, so it'll be better to sort now rather than later.

gotta prep the ute for my 2000 mile roundtrip to the voc rally next month and swap out the stator on the suzuki in the next week so the two hondas will be taking a backseat till i get my arse into gear.

cheers, glen.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:49:11 pm by FT20BAS »

Offline FT20BAS

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 09:56:28 pm »
we're up by another three buckets. two starters, a better cam, the good set of rockers, brake parts, points, plugs, clutch covers, electrics, mirrors and lotsa fiddly bits i was looking for. still no airbox but theres at least hope on that as dad says he saw it the oher year or so (though after 22, who knows) and little stashes show up each time i go hunting. just gotta get time now and then we're set.