Author Topic: My '79 CB650  (Read 39962 times)

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
Re: My '79 CB650
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2009, 10:45:42 am »
my trip odometer's busted and I can never remember what the mileage was when I filled up, sooo  I have to totally guess at my mpg, but I get roughly the same as X's sportster.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:05 am »
Well reports with these 32mm CV carbs....

I got 53mpg at last fill up babying the throttle the whole tank.
!@!!

Not bad.
Highest I have gotten before is in the low 60's with EVERYTHING bone stock, carbs, pistons, electrical, etc.

Keep in mind that 53mpg is with bigger(61mm) pistons, dyna2000 ignition, 2.4 ohm coils, 32mm carbs and a head job.

The power is there, AND the MPG.
I can't be happier.
Ok, I can be, but I need to get those 66mm pistons in a motor first!!!

Going to make those trips for finding work to SLC a bit easier, at least there is a HOV lane the whole way!
Ate through all the local(within 30 miles) machine shops already.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2009, 08:46:59 am »
Hmm that hot tuner temp thingy sounds really interesting! Wonder how hard it would be to make one.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:53 am »
I got me fingers crossed for ya mate. ;)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »
Having the little bro look into making a Hottuner, he's a little wizard at robotics and stuff. Would there be any interest on the forum if we could make them economical?

I'm with Hush and everyone else Soos, sending good thoughts your way with the job search.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 07:41:30 am »
Thnx all!

I actually got a job yesterday!
A old employer called me up and offered me a job.
About a 4.50 cut in pay... but they don't have diddly for CNC's, and 99% of all their parts are made on manual lathes. So About what I would expect for a starting pay at a manual shop.
However the OT and dayshift hours will make up for it.
10 hour days, and 5 days a week. Ahhh... feels good to be employed again!
I will now have to wake up at 3:30am to make it to work on time.

It takes just under an hour to get to work. at least on the way home I can use the "HOV" lane and avoid most of the traffic snarls getting home.

l8r

And making hot tuners sounds great!
Let us know how much he gets into it for, or at least how much he wants for one.

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2009, 08:25:04 am »
Congrats on the job man!!! That has to be a load of stress off your back, the paycut is a bummer, but hey, nothing says you have stay there, or you could even move up. Either way, great to hear!

The biggest issue we are having with the hot tuners is finding a probe that will measure a high enough temp that doesn't cost a frickin arm and a leg since there has to be four of them. We are hoping to keep it under a cnote, and of course everyone one sold will result in some money back to this awesome forum. I'll keep you all posted, it will be a bit before we can really start working on it. But personally I love the idea, it would make plug chops a little less necissary, other than to get a bench mark for whether you are running lean or rich at a certain temp.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2009, 09:17:15 am »
Also, does anyone have any idea what the upper limit on the headers would be assuming they are tuned reasonably well? I'm trying to find probes that go up to 1k farenheit, but is that enough?

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 10:17:42 am »
I personally believe "hot tuning' could be misleading; A/F ratio, ignition timing, and engine load would all be variables to take into consideration when looking at EGT's.
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2009, 01:27:50 pm »
Well hot tuning would only be used after a solid tune up, and just gives you a more real time idea of where your carbs are in relation to eachother. I wouldn't really suggest doing it on a bike that is loaded down for a touring trip  ;) I just think it would be a great way to know how the idle, slow and fast circuits are feeding during running.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »
Congrats on the Job  :)   I hope it works out well for you.   It's always nice working for a previous employer (as long as you parted with good standing) because you know how the operation is run.  Not as hard as going in blind.

best wishes, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2009, 08:12:45 pm »
Congrats on the job. I was off for about a month in early '08 and that month was LONG ENOUGH!! :D
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2009, 12:23:32 am »
You little beauty Soos, knew a good man like you wouldn't be unemployed long, as for the pay cut well getting paid these days is an achievement. :)
I get up most days at 4am, work is a good 30 mins away at motorway speeds (why I don't use the old Honda.) ;D
If you can hang onto a job during the depression (sorry recession) you will be in a much better position when things pick up (about early next year according to the experts) plus us humans are built to be in employment. ;)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2009, 06:09:57 am »
My MPG averages around 49 with the slide PD carbs.

It would be interesting to have the "hot tuner"  Wonder just how hot the exhaust pipes get?  Did he put the sensors right at the head or down the pipe a little?  Did he put them behind the pipe or infront?  I would think the wind would affect the readings as the outer pipes get more wind then the inner due to the front wheel and fender may deflect some wind from getting to the inner pipes.  So many variables  :(   I know that diesal guys use pyrometers to monitor EGT but they mount INSIDE the exahaust manifold.

On air cooled V twins many times they would jet the rear cylinder richer cause it doesn't get as much cooling as the front cylinder.  I guess the same holds true for the inline 4 however I wouldn't think that it would make THAT much of a difference.  I think it would have to do with the carbs you are using and not the motor itself.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:11:33 am by razor02097 »
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2009, 09:13:52 am »
Well hot tuning would only be used after a solid tune up, and just gives you a more real time idea of where your carbs are in relation to eachother. I wouldn't really suggest doing it on a bike that is loaded down for a touring trip  ;) I just think it would be a great way to know how the idle, slow and fast circuits are feeding during running.

Brandon

He said that "hot tuning" is mainly tuning for high RPM use.

There is nothing like the howl of riding Daisy at 9,000+rpm in the canyons!!!
Although it's normally very short lived 9k RPM... one can only ride first and second soo long, soo hard and not feel like they  are abusing their ride...!

And as to where they were mounted, right past the bend on the motor side of the exhaust. I will talk to him and find out what "optimal" temps he was shooting for.

He did mention changing from the plugs I am running now(side gapped) MIGHT change things a bit and need re-tuning. Or the air filter, exhaust etc...

My MPG averages around 49 with the slide PD carbs.
Thats about the norm for those carbs.

Just thought of comparing the surface area of a 32mm VS a 26mm hole....
Roughly 1.5 times the surface area when using 3.1415X(Radius X Radius)....

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2009, 11:31:31 am »
Soos also ask him what the highest temps he's seen are, I'd imagine 1k F is pretty normal. We are trying to source something that can measure and withstand the temps, a bit challenging at the moment.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2009, 11:34:07 am »
I've seen upwards of 1500°F on turbo cars...
Doug

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:49 am »
Yeah, I was thinking it could get that hot, the one we are looking at is approx 2k F so I think we will be ok.

Soos, if/when we get a working prototype working I'll probably be taking you up on your offer to help me test things ;) If we get it working we'll sell you one at or below cost for the assistance of course.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2009, 11:45:18 am »
Yeah, I was thinking it could get that hot, the one we are looking at is approx 2k F so I think we will be ok.

Soos, if/when we get a working prototype working I'll probably be taking you up on your offer to help me test things ;) If we get it working we'll sell you one at or below cost for the assistance of course.

Brandon

Check into pyrometers they measure from 1000' F to 3000'F

got some info on stainless... don't know if regular steel acts similar?

'C     'F     
400 752 Red heat, visible in the dark
474 885 Red heat, visible in the twilight
525 975 Red heat, visible in the daylight
581 1077 Red heat, visible in the sunlight
700 1292 Dark red
800 1472 Dull cherry-red
900 1652 Cherry-red
1000 1832 Bright cherry-red
1100 2012 Orange-red “{*}

ref       http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Stainless_Steel
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:47:31 am by razor02097 »
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2009, 07:22:15 pm »
I think at about 1400 (most)steels loose their magnetism.

Haven't had a chance to get ahold of him yet.
Will post when I get the info.
Just don't hold your breath, I start 10 hour days with a 1 hour commute(each way) on monday.
Thank god the bike gets good gas mileage!

Hating the fact it snows around here though.... no year round commute possible on the bike.
Just most of the year.
:)

As to the temps, I think that isn't the problem, the vibration would more a killer to the attachment system I would imagine.
I will have to look at the mounts he used more closely as well.
Not too sure if I remember them being mounted to the magnets, or IN(through) the magnets themselves.

I would imagine a cheap arsed system could use band clamps though to hold the temp sensors in place though.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2009, 07:45:01 pm »
Eh no big rush soos, I posted a who would be interested thread and so far not much interest. I have a ton of old Hard Drive magnets, and those I believe are rare earth, so they should be good to go. We're still trying to figure out the circuitry, so plenty of time to talk to the guy.

The other thing is figuring out what the data means. It's great to know the temp, but I already knew not to hold the pipes ;) . How did this improve the performance of your ride do you think?

Even if there isn't much interest, I still think it's an awesome idea and want to tinker with it and see where I can take it.

Hating the fact it snows around here though.... no year round commute possible on the bike.
Just most of the year

Ditto, I rode into the middle of December before I finally saw the writing on the wall and put the bike up. At 4am doing 40mph it's a bit nippy, so I had to get thermal leggings, and some other cold weather gear. I get some pretty funny looks at work, but hey, riding is fun and it's worth the hassle.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2009, 07:52:15 pm »
Heh Rina hates the cold... it seems whenever its nippley out she starts on 2 cylinders for a few seconds and I have to ride with partial choke the whole way to work.  Later in the day when its over 21'C she runs perfect with no choke.
Project Rina

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2009, 06:57:25 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gotta swap back to stock ignition tonight....
my dyna2000 unit FRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta go...

10 hour days, 1+ hour commute each way(worse in the afternoon, nearing 2+ hourts in a car not in the HOV lane)

Blew out about 4 blocks from work at least.

Used a crane to hoist my bike into a work truck(ford ranger) and the boss let me drive it home.
Gotta fix it, and hope I get more than 5 hours sleep tomignt.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2009, 07:58:42 pm »
Back to stock! be still my heart. :D

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2009, 08:16:33 pm »
ugh, that stinks!!!! At least the stock on these is electronic and not points. Hows the job, pretty decent? Sucks about the long days but once the economy improves maybe you'll be able to get something with less hours but good pay.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom