Author Topic: clutch plates?, model ?'s, and oil in the stator housing  (Read 950 times)

Offline deftone

clutch plates?, model ?'s, and oil in the stator housing
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:52:49 pm »
i have what i thought was a 79 CB750F SS....it has a SOHC....i see that some 79's have DOHC....so i was at a swap meet saturday and picked up a transmission and clutch basket w/plates for a 79' CB750F....it is not the same as mine....so please help me figure out what i have...the frame number is CB750F 22xxxx...the engine number is CB750E 3151xxx...the bike did not come with a title...anyways i am trying to order new clutch plates and everywhere i look the 78 basket and plates look like they match what i have...any help is appreciated...

also i have a little oil in the stator housing (not a lot but oil does seem to make it in there)...is that normal???

thanks
tone

Offline gtyler5

• Enthusiast
Re: clutch plates?, model ?'s, and oil in the stator housing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 07:22:46 pm »
nice screen name, deftones are one of my favorites, it is normal to have oil in the stator housing. It sounds like you engine was swapped out at one time, the F models serial numbers start with CB750FE , sounds like you have a K engine. if you go to the main page of this site there is info on all the SOHC models serial #'s ect ect. The air filter housing on most models says CB750 F so its easy for people to see that and think it's an F.....
rock on,
Gt
1976 CB750F cafe
1978 CB750F (in progress)
1993 CB750 Nighthawk

Offline MrZxp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:56:46 pm »
i have what i thought was a 79 CB750F SS....it has a SOHC....i see that some 79's have DOHC....

The last year for SOHC was '78 - the new DOHC K & F model(s) made their entrance for '79.

also i have a little oil in the stator housing (not a lot but oil does seem to make it in there)...is that normal???

Oil in the stator housing is normal.

anyways i am trying to order new clutch plates and everywhere i look the 78 basket and plates look like they match what i have...any help is appreciated...

Have you tried the fiche here   http://honda.crotchrocket.com/fiche_select.asp

so please help me figure out what i have...the frame number is CB750F 22xxxx...the engine number is CB750E 3151xxx...the bike did not come with a title...

The info on this site points to your engine/frame being a F model from '78.. http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?title=CB750F
(Mine does not have the "F" in the engine number either BTW...)

A picture is worth a thousand words - a lot of info can be deduced about what you have from a nice clear BIG pic...   ;D

Cheers, Phil

09 Boulevard M90
SOHC4 Member #3336

Offline deftone

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:59:12 pm »
sorry for my lack of knowledge on the bikes...i was told by the PO it was a 79' i looked at the number plate on the neck and it is a 78' and the numbers do point to that as well...so i have a 78' cb750f ss...and the oil in the stator is normal...cool...i can continue to order the clutch plates and resto project :)

cheers
tone

p.s. here is a pic

Offline MrZxp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:40:30 am »
Certainly looks like a 77/78 F! Seems to be a worthy project for a resto too!

Good luck and have fun...  :D :D

Cheers, Phil
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:42:45 am by MrZxp »
09 Boulevard M90
SOHC4 Member #3336

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:39:52 am »
Looks like you have possibly got an earlier F model tank on there..
75 & 76 F models had HONDA tags but Super Sport was painted on..the 77 & 78 F models came with complete HONDA Supersport Tags as one unit.
I'm just adding to the confusion

;D

Roscoe

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:20 am »
On checking the book "Honda CB750 - The Complete Story" by Mark Haycock it would seem that the engine number you have quoted is for a 78 K8 model. If it were an F model the number would start with an FE not just an E. Just my two pennys worth. Cheers, Roscoe