Author Topic: Hey, another Kreem thread  (Read 5777 times)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Hey, another Kreem thread
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »
Kreem threads are always fun.  Lots of people hate the stuff, even if they have never used it.  I have defended Kreem a few times in the forums in the past as I had good results with it on several tanks. 

I installed a F2/F3 tank on my '75 750F back in 1990 after an abortive attempt to get a big dent out of the original.  The replacement was from a donor bike out of a wrecking yard and had some rust in it.  So I used a Kreem kit on it and it came out great.  Again, this was in 1990, and the Kreem lining had held up for 18 years.  Then about two months ago, I noticed some mottling inside the tank while filling up.  It has since gotten progressively worse.  As you can see in the pic below taken today, it is bubbling up and flaking off.  It is doing this in the entire tank. 

I see a couple of possibilities here.  One is that 18 years is the lifespan of a Kreem lining.  Another is that there is something new in the gas that is attacking the Kreem liner.  I am leaning toward the second possibiliity.  After the first of the year, most gas stations around here changed to gas labeled as having 10% ethanol.  I am not inclined to think it is the ethanol alone that has done this since I have used gas with ethanol in years past when I couldn't avoid it and had no problems.  The word has been that since they quit using MTBE there have been other new additives besides the ethanol to take its place.

At any rate, I can no longer stick up for Kreem.  Because of all the raves here and other places, I used POR15 for the first time last summer in a friend's Concours tank to see how well it works.  It will be interesting to see how the POR15 holds up.

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: Hey, another Kreem thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:10 pm »
I recall mentioning something about Kreem and gas additives.....
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:24:23 pm »
In my experience, the general attitude is that no tank liner kit will hold up well to poor preparation, regardless of who made it. 

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:59:46 pm »
Never understood kreem or por 15. If the tank dosent have a hole in it, why not just clean it with whatever (lots of options) and ride it?
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline JZEROE

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:51:49 pm »
My general attitude towards this is to run fuel filters, and change them regularly, but I do hate the way they junk up the petcock area.

So I've been thinking about getting the tank sealed. If a pro does it, what does he use? Is there a special tool or technique that pro body shops use that one of us couldn't? Or are they just going to use Kreem?

And if there's a pro-level solution out there that's better than Kreem, I just know that one of you has figured out a way to make it work... probably on the side of a road using a piece of roadkill as an applicator. Come on, fess up!
'75 CB400F
'76 CB750K - Project Freebike

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 04:51:34 am »
In my experience, the general attitude is that no tank liner kit will hold up well to poor preparation, regardless of who made it. 

I agree with that, so I've defended Kreem in the past as I have had great results with it.  However, something has changed because the Kreem liner I installed in my tank 18 years ago has suddenly failed.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:04 am »
I've defended Kreem here before too, and personally, I reckon 18 years is a pretty good innings, for a product that has been roundly vilified in similar threads. Trouble is, I don't know what you can use (Acetone maybe?) to remove the old Kreem so you can re-coat it. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 06:41:20 am »
The PO kreamed my tank a year prior to me buying it, and it was already peeling at the top. I kreamed it my self and it has lsted4 years; so technique is everything when it comes to this stuff.

Offline gerhed

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 06:55:24 am »
Gas was seeping through the bottom of the tank on my Indian.
Installed Kreem liner in the tank 15 years ago.
Still O.K.

Rides: 75 CB750F, 48 Indian Chief, 67 Triumph TR6, 63Honda CA95
          83 XL600R in CB360 Frame
          3-wheel electric tilting cycle

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 07:13:14 am »
Did you build that side car mate? It looks pretty coo! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline gerhed

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 07:50:06 am »

Thanks--Yes--My own construction--kind of nautical in concept.
Rides: 75 CB750F, 48 Indian Chief, 67 Triumph TR6, 63Honda CA95
          83 XL600R in CB360 Frame
          3-wheel electric tilting cycle

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 05:01:54 pm »
I've defended Kreem here before too, and personally, I reckon 18 years is a pretty good innings, for a product that has been roundly vilified in similar threads. Trouble is, I don't know what you can use (Acetone maybe?) to remove the old Kreem so you can re-coat it. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Yeah, I know you have, and you're right, I can't complain about it lasting that long.  The question mark is why it failed.  If it is something in the gas around here, no sense in using it again.  I'll probably go with POR15, but really after using the POR last year, there is no difference in application. The steps are the same, and the necessity for attention to detail is the same for good results. 

Kreem says MEK will dissolve their liner, so that's what I'll try first.
Greg
'75 CB750F

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 07:23:58 pm »
Ah, MEK, of course! Best-o-luck mate, let us know how it works. I wonder if MEK will remove epoxy resin? The tank I got for Sean Condon had been rust treated with what appears to be resin poured into it, it's certainly not Kreem or POR-15 and there's a big chunk of it that I can't shift? Here's a pic.  ;D

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:04 pm »
Never understood kreem or por 15. If the tank dosent have a hole in it, why not just clean it with whatever (lots of options) and ride it?

Here's a good reason:

The tank appeared sound when I stripped it..... 

Stripped:

Freshly painted:

Within 2 months of fresh paint....  It rusted outside the tank to the inside of the tank just under the seat. 

Ended up having to grind it, weld it, and just POR15'd it the other day.  I currently have the original orange tank for my 550 Kreemed and my gold tank is POR15'd.  I doubt I will ever put an untreated tank on my bike again.  I have been fortunate to not have problems with my Kreem.  It's been in the orange tank since 2001.

Better to be safe than sorry...  which is why I prefer to coat my tanks.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 10:07:43 pm »
Ah, MEK, of course! Best-o-luck mate, let us know how it works. I wonder if MEK will remove epoxy resin?

I'll report back on how it went.  It will probably be a week or two.  Waiting for this crazy spring weather to settle down and warm up a little.  As for MEK for removing epoxy, it looks like it is time for a little science experiment.  After a quick Google search, it sounds like MEK may work. 
Greg
'75 CB750F

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 03:53:34 am »

Thanks--Yes--My own construction--kind of nautical in concept.

That looks excellent mate, well done! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 03:58:13 am »
Ah, MEK, of course! Best-o-luck mate, let us know how it works. I wonder if MEK will remove epoxy resin?

I'll report back on how it went.  It will probably be a week or two.  Waiting for this crazy spring weather to settle down and warm up a little.  As for MEK for removing epoxy, it looks like it is time for a little science experiment.  After a quick Google search, it sounds like MEK may work. 

Thanks Offy, I'll give it a try, I've tried thinners and acetone without success, so I'm off to the MEK shop tomorrow! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 06:37:12 am »

Here's a good reason:

The tank appeared sound when I stripped it..... 

Ended up having to grind it, weld it, and just POR15'd it the other day.  I currently have the original orange tank for my 550 Kreemed and my gold tank is POR15'd.  I doubt I will ever put an untreated tank on my bike again.  I have been fortunate to not have problems with my Kreem.  It's been in the orange tank since 2001.

Better to be safe than sorry...  which is why I prefer to coat my tanks.

...glad to hear the coating process went OK Hope.  Just throw a little primer over the area where we removed the paint and run that sucker on cassandra until the prison re-paints it.  The seat will cover that area anyway.   ;D
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 08:31:49 am »
I love RED-COTE. leaves a nice thin semi transparent liner.........not really for repair though, just seals the metal..
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 04:47:36 pm »

Thanks Offy, I'll give it a try, I've tried thinners and acetone without success, so I'm off to the MEK shop tomorrow! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hey Terry,

I can report that MEK does do the trick wiping out kreem.

I did a BMW tank a while back using MEK.

DO the bolt/screw trick and let it sit. It will eventually all come out.
Stranger in a strange land

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 05:23:01 pm »
Thanks Tim, this stuff is actually epoxy resin. (see pic) I'm hoping the MEK will break it down, if not, the Oxy/Acetylene torch will come into play, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 01:11:24 pm »
...glad to hear the coating process went OK Hope.  Just throw a little primer over the area where we removed the paint and run that sucker on cassandra until the prison re-paints it.  The seat will cover that area anyway.   ;D

Still waiting for the reproduction side cover to come from CycleRecycle.  Think they forgot about me.  Still riding with the orange tank for now.  As soon as the side cover comes in, gold tank and side cover is off to the body shop.  Will check and see how that waiting list is coming.