Author Topic: newb question: trying to bring the 73 cb750 back to life  (Read 1363 times)

diggz_82

newb question: trying to bring the 73 cb750 back to life
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:58:28 am »
I bought this bike a few weeks ago and am trying to bring the beast back to life. It was a bike bought on C-list for $500. Hasn't run since who knows, but very clean and engine turned when kicked. I first bought a new battery ( DieHard 14L-A2) as per specs and charged to 100%. Then adjusted valves as per spec .003 exhaust, .002 intakes. Then pulled the carbs and completely cleaned everything inside, adjusted float heights to 26mm. I re-jetted from 105 mains to 120's (the bike has what looks like a home made 4-1 with a "HM410 Honda" silencer, I believe from the '77 f2. It didn't come with stock airbox, only 4 generic pods. I am in Tampa FL and with the mods previously done, is the reason I went with 120 mains. I replaced all the float bowl gaskets, and bench synched the carbs. I re-installed them set the airscrews to 1 turn out from all the way in and moved to the points. They looked pretty good (no pitting and closed evenly). I static timed them and adjusted the gaps to .014. I just bought an induction timing light and would like to time this way but I can't get the engine to warm up properly. The bike will run for 10 minutes or more and idle @ around 1000rpms, but only with the choke lever pulled all the way up. If I adjust it down even 1/32 an inch down the engine revs to 4000 and stays there. So I then adjust the lever all the way back up and it goes down to 800-1000rpms for a couple seconds then dies.

I seek the help of some more experienced mech heads on here, as this has been one of my sole sources for information on this bike and the blueprint for what I have done so far. Yes in the future I plan to switch from the points ignition and I have new plugs, but I was waiting to install them until all else was done and I could use them to check how she is running. A few more questions will folow in other posts after this hurdle is past. Thanks.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: newb question: trying to bring the 73 cb750 back to life
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:51:18 am »
Well....

Where did you set the slides to when bench syncing?

They should be damn near if not completely closed.

Now I'm assuming here that you have the early carbs.

The ones with the adjustment on the top and no cover plates on top.

If so how much thread do you have sticking out the top of the jam nut?
Stranger in a strange land

diggz_82

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:09:55 pm »
I used an 1/8 inch drill bit to synch. About 1-2 threads out of the locknut

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 12:15:50 pm »
I used an 1/8 inch drill bit to synch. About 1-2 threads out of the locknut

Back them down so thier about flush then try it

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:27:17 pm »
Hi and nice to see another K3. Good catch.  Its a smooth bike once its running right.  Your problem sounds similar to the one I had after cleaning my carbs.  It took a bit of playing with the idle air to get things right.  It sounds like you're running way to lean at idle, so adjust 1/2 turn richer on each carb and see if that helps.

The first signs on mine were the header pipes bluing after about 100 miles.  I had to fine tune even more than I thought.  Also, cleaning the carbs took two rounds.  Although it ran OK for about 10 miles before they started acting up. 

Finally, the last thing to get it right was to replace the coils.  It was like a mgic elixor.  No more fouled plugs and black smoke and the bike idled great etc etc.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »
Playing with his idle screws aint gonna fix his problem

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 12:37:07 pm »
What do you suspect kghost?  1 - 2 threads souded right to me ??? Mine are about 1 thread as well.  If anything I'd guess the carbs are't as clean as diggz_82 might think.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 01:05:43 pm »
What do you suspect kghost?  1 - 2 threads souded right to me ??? Mine are about 1 thread as well.  If anything I'd guess the carbs are't as clean as diggz_82 might think.

No one ever seems to have them as clean as they think.

I think he's got the slides set too high.

Or possibly backwards .....it happens