Author Topic: Wire that are not pulgged it to anything?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
Wire that are not pulgged it to anything?
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »
I have attached some photos of my Bucket and side of my 77' 750K, and in both areas there are wires that are not attached to anything. Is this common?

The one (green) in the bucket is hot, the one at the side panel Green w/stripe) is not.
On the side there does not seem to be a "mate", however in the bucket there seems to be several places that one may go. I have tried to see what happens when I plugged the loose one in to the open slots hoping it would solve my signal issue, no luck though.

Could these be a part of my RH turn signal not functioning? (Rh front light works until you activate the turn switch, then it dies.)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: Wire that are not pulgged it to anything?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:07:30 pm »
The green wire is ground and should not have power
Stranger in a strange land

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »
Have you looked at this yet?

( click for larger image)

The wire in the side panel looks suspiciously like the third wire provided for 3-wire flasher relays, which is green I believe.  Only other spade connectors in that panel are, I believe, on the regulator, also green.

The green in the headlight bucket could be a number of things.  Trace it back and tell us which loom it comes out of (i.e. handlebar, horn, main harness, etc).

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline smccloud

• Hot Shot
    • Shaun's blog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:09:51 pm »
on my '72 750, i had the same wire by the battery.  it is now a ground for a relay ;)

as for the green wire in the bucket, it should connect to another green wire in the bucket (most of the female bullet connectors that are green accept more than one wire).

now, if you are like me, none of that matter since the wiring has been so hacked up it isn't funny;relay powers the headlight and turn signals and i have a set of '75 controls on the thing.
CB750 K2

Quote from: Hush
Who needs a mobility scooter when you've got a SOHC4?

Gun/Cars/Motorcycles/Computers/Insert Next Expensive Hobby here

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »
If your reading voltage at green wires to ground you have something hooked up wrong
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:54:36 pm »
The right front signal is a marker and turn signal, using a two filament bulb. The brighter filament is the turn signal, the dimmer one is the marker. The marker gets switched off when you put that turn signal on. So the missing signal COULD just be a 1/2 burnt out bulb...
Ther are two things wrong with a green male bullet being "hot". First, green is ground... always. No green wire should ever have real battery voltage on it. Second, only female connectors have power on them in the Honda wiring harness - a disconnected powered male bullet could easily touch metal and zzzzzzap! so Honda has arranged the harness so power is on females and stuff using power is on males. Females have all the power... sound familiar?
But... a powered device (like a lamp) that has its ground not connected will: 1) not work and 2) the unconnected ground wire will measure 12V "hot" with a meter. Maybe this is your problem, but I don't think the marker light will work with the ground disconnected because I don't think the signal light wire is grounded in the signal switch when that side is off... but if it IS you would get exactly as described (the dim marker filament lights with its power going through the brighter filament, which might glow dull red but doesn't "light"). Try attaching that green wire to a green female. Your signal might start working.
I don't see a stripe on either wire in the picture, the one at the panel is just a ground for 3-terminal flashers and has always been just plain green on every bike I've seen.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 03:25:29 pm »
No, it is not "common" on properly working bikes.  It is safe to connect all green coded wires together.  All these should connect to the battery Negative terminal (eventually), through the main harness.

The fact that you measure voltage on that open terminal means that something it is connected to, has a power connection on its other side.  But, since it is disconnected, it won't operate because it has no "return" connection to form a complete current path.

Also, wires cannot be measured "Hot" with only one probe.  You need two probes to take measurement.  When state your probe point status also give the other probe connection, too.

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:01:12 pm »
 Green wire in bucket plugs into the double female connector pictured right next to it. Those green wires coming off of your headlight bucket bolts are your signal grounds. The green wire on your side panel is as Bodi says it is and not used with your two-prong flasher.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline Burke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Before anyone asks, I have not touched the wiring. This is how I received the bike.  :(

Thanks for the diagram mystic_1. :) I can make out alot more on your pic than the printed copy I had.

I noticed that certain wires are not the color they are suppose to be according to the print. so as I trace it ( the best I can) its a little trying to say the least.