Author Topic: Hopterfixer's cafe seat. New Photos 05/23/08  (Read 10916 times)

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
Hopterfixer's cafe seat. New Photos 05/23/08
« on: May 04, 2008, 08:06:10 pm »
I have been working on a little cafe/solo seat project since October and it is very close to completion.  This is my first big motorcycle sheetmetal project, so I have been taking my time.  I have been waiting to drop the hammer on this thread so as not to be a project tease.  I hope it was worth the wait.   
I started with the factory 750 K4 seat pan and used a tank from a CB350 twin as the seat cowl.  The tank was graciously donated by fellow forum member CBGB's, thanks Kyle.  The tank was rusty, perforated, and begging for a new life. 

First I cut out everything in the way of setting the shell over the seat.

Next, I cut off the front of the tank in the shape I thought I wanted.

I am a little short on photos for the next few steps but I spent some time aligning the tank on the pan, and figuring out what final lines I was looking for.  I used a sheetmetal screw at the forward bottom point of the shell as a pivot point for fitment.  I would pivot it down, check the fitment, lines, and obstructions, then mark the areas needing attention.  I would then pivot it forward to shape and file, then pivot back, etc.  Once the fit was good around the fender I used six #40 clecos to attach the tank to the seat pan.  Once it was attached, I opened the seat from the side and checked fitment and obstructions going sideways.  I used a french curve set to come up with a shape I liked for the curves coming from the sides going up and around the fender.  I planned to ditch the grab rail and install shorty turn signals in the grab rail bolt holes so I allowed room for those. 

I had the shell welded to the pan and moved on to the tail light.

I used a Lucas style taillight to fit in to the rear of the cowl.  I took a piece of 18 gague steel and bent it around the taillight base, then marked the inside of the tank with the outline.    I wanted the aft end of the light nearly flush with the back of the cowl so I measured several times prior to cutting the area out of the tank.  Once everything was set, it was welded in.   

Once I was set on the tail light positioning, I cut a piece for the butt stop and welded it in.   

I wanted to use the space created by the new seat cowl so I cut an access hole in the seat pan. 

The next steps were all of the finish filing of the bottom and top lines, filling, sanding, and filling. 

Before I turned it over to my paint guy, I figured out the seat foam arrangement.  I am 6'4", 230 lbs., so padding is required.  After one failed foam attempt, I found this stuff called Aquamat at a local upholstery shop.  It is 1" thick, so I ended up with two and one half thicknesses of it bonded together.  I did a lot of sit testing to figure out what needed to be carved off.  I used a sharpie and a turkey knife and went to town.  I did a little bit more foam work after I took this next photo, but this is the basic arrangement. 

I fixed the cracks in the side covers and filled in the relief for the "750 Four" badge with Metal Set A4. 

I did not do the paint, luckily I work with a guy (that paints airplanes for a living) who does very nice work.  I started out wanting a candy color and liked the oranges, but my buddy had some Fusion Orange Metallic (late model GM color) at his disposal (read FREE).  I wanted it a little lighter so he added silver pearl metallic and some more flake for me.  Did I mention I have very little money in to this project?

This is what I ended up with. 

These last photos were taken the day I got my painted parts back.  I am pretty pleased so far.  I  was trying to decide whether or not to ditch the fender, since I wasn't sure I liked the look.  I decided to cut another inch and a half off of the front and remount it.  I will post some more photos this week when I (hopefully) get my finished seat cover back and installed. 

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:42:46 pm by hopterfixer »

Offline imamotohead

• Nuthin a little duct tape won't fix!?!
Re: Hopterfixer's new seat (and detailed how to)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 08:23:22 pm »
Great work! IMHO lose the rear fender - looks much cleaner.
Here today, gone tomorrow.  Make the most of today!

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:10:02 am »
Great work. I like that color, too.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:15:31 am »
Great work! IMHO lose the rear fender - looks much cleaner.

Yeah,  until you ride in the rain!

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 05:30:10 am »
That is what I was thinking.  Since I shaped the cowl around the rear fender, I think it looks incomplete without it.  The fender fits much better since I trimmed and remounted it. 

Here is the no fender look

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:15:21 am »
Poverty produces creativity. Nice work. This is the first and only seat made from an old tank that I have liked. Most are too big but your is understated and fits the bike.
1975 CB400 F cafes, 1974 CB750 K4 Cafe, 1966/1976 Triumph/ Norton Triton Cafe and 1962 DBD34 BSA Gold Star Clubman.

CB750 build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52551.0

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 06:21:31 am »
Poverty produces creativity
I think that should be my official motto. 

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 06:23:01 am »
Very nice work and love that paint - nicely done! The seat is looking very smooth and great photo layout. Will be interesting to see the final product. Are you going to do anything with the giant mirrors? Look like satellite dishes IMHO  ;)

Good post!
cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 06:30:59 am »
Very nice work and very tastefully done. The bike looks great. You are very skillfull.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 06:36:26 am »
Well done, Hopter. Thanks for the series of pictures.
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 07:29:58 am »
Nice work, that color rocks as well!
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 07:10:13 pm »
When I cut the hole for storage in the seat pan I also removed the top part of the plastic inner fender well.

I made a plate out of 0.034" stainless and polished it up to fill the hole.  I installed two 10-32 nutplates in the frame and used stainless screws to hold the front of the plate down, and the back is pressed between the fender and frame.

This photos also shows the rear fender with around eight inches removed from the front.  I drilled the original spot welded nut plates off of the cut portion of the fender and riveted them back on in their new positions. 

This photo shows how I tucked the turn signal wires out of the way.  First I took the threaded stubs out of the signal body and pulled the wires out so I could cut off the extra threaded portion, appx. 3/4".  After I cleaned up the cuts, I reassembled the signals and slid some heat shrink over the wires.  I pressed it inside the threaded portion as far as I could before shrinking it.  I used two #3 adel clamps to hold the wires up out of the way at a respectable angle. 

I should have plenty of tire clearance back there with that plate, the Koni's are rather firm even with me on them  ;)

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »
Excellent work!

Definately the best tank to rear cowl I've seen, and I love the way you've chopped and integrated the rear fender
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 05:08:38 am »
Are you going to do anything with the giant mirrors? Look like satellite dishes IMHO  ;)

bar ends would work perfect.   ;)
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 05:53:44 am »
I like the paint color.You basicly answered a question i had with a proposed paint and graphic idea on my own bike.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

troppo

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 05:55:55 am »
Sure beats my fibreglass job, bloody great work mate

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 06:12:54 am »
Sure beats my fibreglass job, bloody great work mate
I had given some thought to making a mold of the seat for reproduction purposes.   I wish I had the wherewithal to do so.

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 06:23:16 am »

I should have plenty of tire clearance back there with that plate, the Koni's are rather firm even with me on them  ;)

Did you ever take the springs off of your Konis to check the action of the dampners?  I have a couple sets of the alloyed bodied Konis that are completely gummed up internally by disolved internal plastic parts.  Supposedly very common through a wide number of years that shocks were made.  One set was NOS and still crudded up to hell.   The ride with them was stiff to say the least.   Assuming that your dampners are OK, I do have a set of new IKON springs (got them before I realized my shocks were a lost cause) suitable for the Konis that might be a lower spring rate than what you have now.  The spring rates are typically marked with a color code on the springs.  I can check the rating on my springs if you like . . ..

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 06:28:43 am »
They are firm but not harsh.  The PO obviously rode two up and they are perfect for that.  I have never ridden with the factory shocks but have always heard how soft they are.  I usually ride in the middle or higher preload setting with the dampening set on 2.  My springs have red marks on them, is there a chart somewhere listing the rate of the different springs?

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 06:43:34 am »
Go here:
http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/7610-76.shtml

They used three marks of color.  See if you can make out three distinct bars of color. Mine are the N235-18/25/33 code 204, (formerly Blue Blue Red)

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 02:48:50 pm »
Very nice work and love that paint - nicely done! The seat is looking very smooth and great photo layout. Will be interesting to see the final product. Are you going to do anything with the giant mirrors? Look like satellite dishes IMHO  ;)

Good post!
cheers
Andy

I did some research and decided what I wanted.  I just ordered a set of Black Napolean bar end mirrors, they should be here this weekend.  I couldn't find any complaints on the real Napoleans and the price was reasonable.  Good bye satellite dishes, I can't wait. 

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
Re: Hopterfixer's new seat is done! 05/20/08 (and how to)
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 03:10:57 pm »
Well here it is, I am very pleased with how it turned out.  The padding is firm and very comfortable, just like I wanted.  I also installed the Napoleans, I love these mirrors!  I will post more photos later. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:15:15 pm by hopterfixer »

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Hopterfixer's new seat is done! (05/20/08)
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 03:30:56 pm »
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful! The Napoleons definitely make it look so much better than the satellite dishes! Great looking bike and I think a BOTM contender for sure!

More pics of this please!

Well done!

Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:05 pm »
VERY nicely done.  I like how the lines in your tail section play off of the lines in the tank.  Top-notch work.

cheers
mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 05:57:53 pm »
Here are a few more photos.  The seat cover is not completely attached around the cowl yet.  I wanted to give the new leather some stretch time before I bonded it down.  Enjoy.

The little thing sticking up below the plate is an LED in a chrome holder.  I had an extra hole so I added a running light.