Author Topic: electrical fun...  (Read 1808 times)

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
electrical fun...
« on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:08 pm »
okay so i got my carb problem fixed/figured out. After a short ride the other day i put the bike in the garage and then went back to it the yesturday to ride again and when i turned the key to on. Nothing. No idiot lights, no head light, nothing when i hit the starter button. Checked the Battery, okay. Hooked it up to a charger, still nothing. Only thing i didn't try was to kick start it. but even if that started i still would have no lights.

Anyone have any tips where to start?

troppo

Re: electrical fun...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:11:30 pm »
What bike?
I would guess a blown fuse

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:15:21 am »
i thought of that. i checked them and they looked okay but im going to buy fresh ones anyways.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:38:53 am »
  I'd look at the plastic connectors on the electrical panel.  There's this one on mine that even when connected through the metal base plate, it can still wiggle quite a bit.  So it's not that far a stretch to assume it might have worked it's way loose somehow. 
  Also, those blades will come out of the connector, if you felt motivated enough to clean them up.  I just went through the electrical system on my '77 550F and did this.  Takes some time, but worth the peace of mind.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 04:04:25 am »
If your bike is a later model with the ignition switch on the triple clamp, check the switch base. Sometimes rerouting wiring puts a strain on that base connection in the switch and you can lose all power.

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:52:01 am »
I'd start with a mulitimeter. There's some good posts about electrical troubleshooting in the Electrics FAQ. Also, what year and model?
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 03:22:44 pm »
I'd start with a mulitimeter. There's some good posts about electrical troubleshooting in the Electrics FAQ. Also, what year and model?

78 cb550k

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 03:40:14 pm »
Keyswitch unplugged itself?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 03:51:39 pm »
I had the same issue with our '78 550. The terminals in the switch base had come loose, and even though I peened the copper rivets to tighten them back up, they corroded underneath.

When you turn on the key and get nothing, try wiggling the electrical connector and see if the juice comes back on. (If you do this at night, you might even see blue flashes through the white plastic switch cover, like I did!). If this gets the power back, order a new switch base and cover from the Honda dealer. They make them aftermarket, but some folks have complained about how they fit. Honda made improvements to the switch assembly (I outlined them with pictures in another post) to beef up the contacts, and they now solder the rivetted connections prone to loosening and corrosion. The parts cost about $35.00 total. I replaced them and have not had any problems since. It also fixed the 1.5 volt drop I got through the switch....

If you try it and confirm you do need the switch, I can dig around for the part numbers.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 05:01:55 pm »
Fuses can look intact while all the solder ends up running out of one of the ends on overheating.

Check them on the Ohms setting with a multimeter.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

fuzzybutt

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 05:32:29 pm »
+1   this used to happen to my 74 750k alot when the switch was on the tree

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 08:04:45 pm »
it's the switch. I went and pulled, pushed the wires under the triple trees and the lights pop on and off. What is the best way to fix this? Replace it? or jimmy rig it?

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:06:49 pm »
it's the switch. I went and pulled, pushed the wires under the triple trees and the lights pop on and off. What is the best way to fix this? Replace it? or jimmy rig it?

If it's just loose, plug it back in. 

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 01:02:39 am »

If it's just loose, plug it back in. 

I have tried pushing it back in but it doesn't seam to want to stay plugged in. Anyone know the part number for the plug? or any tricks to make it stick?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:25 am »
There's a tang on the switch cover and a loop on the harness connector that engages it. The harness connector is likely not available alone from Honda. Look to see if the tang/loop are not broken.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 07:38:49 pm »
I had the same issue with our '78 550. The terminals in the switch base had come loose, and even though I peened the copper rivets to tighten them back up, they corroded underneath.

When you turn on the key and get nothing, try wiggling the electrical connector and see if the juice comes back on. (If you do this at night, you might even see blue flashes through the white plastic switch cover, like I did!). If this gets the power back, order a new switch base and cover from the Honda dealer. They make them aftermarket, but some folks have complained about how they fit. Honda made improvements to the switch assembly (I outlined them with pictures in another post) to beef up the contacts, and they now solder the rivetted connections prone to loosening and corrosion. The parts cost about $35.00 total. I replaced them and have not had any problems since. It also fixed the 1.5 volt drop I got through the switch....

If you try it and confirm you do need the switch, I can dig around for the part numbers.

Good observation, Jonesy! I need a new one on by 750. Last year, the keys FELL OUT of the ignition on the way home one night, got home and couldn't turn off the bike! I wouldn't say it was old, but...I ordered one of those aftermarket ones from an eBay store (no time to go to the Honda shop 35 miles from here), and the wires are smaller gauge, lightly soldered (I fixed that), and the connector cheesy. Just to keep gasoline $$ from killing me, I hardwired it into my 750 for the duration of the season: I need a good one. I think I'll mail order one from Honda, now...at least, my new job is only 8 miles away!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15:11 pm »
+1   this used to happen to my 74 750k alot when the switch was on the tree
+ another. Hooray for cheap parts bikes with stock switch brackets.

There's a tang on the switch cover and a loop on the harness connector that engages it.... . Look to see if the tang/loop are not broken.
tang and loop don't need to be broken to not hold worth squat.   p.o. had extended the switch wires(even matched colors!) - just not quite enough.

.....I need a new one on by 750. ....I ordered one of those aftermarket ones from an eBay store ...and the wires are smaller gauge, lightly soldered (I fixed that), and the connector cheesy. ...
hooray again for cheap low mileage parts bike with matched locks and a working switch with keys.
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 12:16:42 am »
Sounds suspiciously like the problem I'm having right now. hmmmm....
will have to check that when I get a chance.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 12:20:00 am »
i used some zip-ties to fix it but it still didn't fix it 100%. anyone have one of these? or a place to buy one?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 05:13:53 am »
You can buy the plastic cover 35102-431-007 (H/C 092530), and the contact set 35101-422-007 (H/C 092529) from any Honda dealer.

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:39 pm »
i found a few on ebay for around $30.00 and also found that http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
 has them for $28.00 + $6.00 shipping and I have used these guys before.

this kind of works out cause the only key i have is real thin and kinda bent. I guess i'll be killing two birds, replacing it.

I though of something else while looking around. What would it take to relocate the key, and eliminate the pilot lights, and gauges?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 04:51:07 am »
Here's the post where I compared the old vs. new parts:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=19056.msg198941#msg198941

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 06:19:38 am »
....turns out my issue was caused by the positive wire just as it leaves the terminal on the battery was severed... and hidden underneath the rubber cover. I was on the verge of pulling the whole harness!

~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)