Author Topic: Old rusty rims- what to do about them?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
Old rusty rims- what to do about them?
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:55:53 pm »
This post is about a project within a project..  It's not on a Honda- but I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys:

My BSA project, I bought it and it had been sitting outdoors for quite some time.  The steel/chromed rims actually cleaned up very nicely on 95% of each rim..  On what must have been the part of each wheel that was sitting closest to the ground, the rims must have been sitting in wet grass or maybe even an occasional puddle..  The rust at these spots on both rims is not severe, but has gone through the chrome.

So what are my options?  I know I can buy new chrome steel rims from Buchanan..  I can also cruise eBay and buy other used rims..  I suppose I could strip the rims down and have them re-chromed, but I bet that would cost just as much or more than I would pay for new chromed steel rims..  I tried to ask a couple of local bike shops, but they said that a lot of chroming places don't like to do rims- that the spoke holes mess up their polishing equipment.  Surely some company will re-chrome rims?

I have also been thinking about getting aluminum rims- seems these would be a LOT lighter, and you want to reduce unsprung weight, right?  But, is an aluminum spoked rim solid enough for street use?  I have had dirtbikes with rims that I think were made of aluminum, but those bikes were a LOT lighter and didn't reach high speed often..  Do heavier steel rims make a bike feel more solid at speed?

Finally, how hard is it to remove the rest of the chrome with a wire wheel if I just want to prep the rims I have and paint them?  This seems like it would be the ultimate cost cutting solution, since I already have the rims, and paint is cheap (although this would cost some serious elbow grease, and final resulting looks and durability would be suspect)..

Your thoughts much appreciated!
Jason
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Old rusty rims- what to do about them?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:00:32 pm »
Chrome plating has gotten so expensive, it just isn't really an option anymore [unless cost is not a factor].
Powder coating them has been getting very popular and looks great, that may be your best option unless you want chrome. If yes, then look for new or used rims.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline shinneh

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:39:10 pm »
I believe most powder coaters can do a chrome. At least the one near me can.

Another option for the fire.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-Confucius

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »
I believe most powder coaters can do a chrome. At least the one near me can.

I have heard that too, but have not seen it in person. Heard not quite as good?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:54:36 am »
i SPOKE to my wheel builder the other day and he showed me a stainless steel rim that was cheaper than alloy or chrome. It was difficult to tell from chrome. :o

Sam. ;)

£4 cheaper than the same companies chrome.  http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/price_lists/price_lists.html

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:04:12 am by SamCB750A »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:42:31 pm »
Think a wire wheel will get the old chrome off the rim?
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »
Think a wire wheel will get the old chrome off the rim?

only where it is peeling

Offline JimM68

• Firstgens.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 03:59:00 am »
The only thing that will get chrome plating off is an acid dip.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline derelicte

• Enthusiast
  • '74 CB750
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »
Can I save this rim?  Rust through the chrome only on a 10" strip or so, the rest is clean enough for me.  It sat in vinegar overnight and what remains is raised above the chrome somehow.  Tried touching up with some silver caliper paint I had in the garage and it started out promising but unfortunately the paint comes off of the raised corrosion before it even starts to wipe off the rest of the rim.  If there are no other tricks, is there a cheaper rim than the $150 nos DID rims on ebay?  The whole wheel cost me $125 and it's so close to being usable...