Author Topic: fork lower bore hone  (Read 1830 times)

Offline rbirkhan

• Enthusiast
fork lower bore hone
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:47:35 am »
Has any one had their fork lowers bore honed inside during a fork rebuild?  I have new fork tubes and seals coming.  Mine has fine scratches that wouldnt take much to clean up.  Where do you get a small hone for such a job? also where do you get the internal seals for the inner fork assembly? These are off a K-1 and are different than a K0. They have the allen head bolt on the bottom and the internal fork rod.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: fork lower bore hone
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:48:09 pm »
I used a brake type hone withh a flexible shaft when I worked on Seawebs fork.

It was a combo of the aftermarket fork being a bit oversize and scoring, in the bore. It took quite a while to get some clearance, slow going. >:(

I would not worry to much about a few scratches but check tube for damage and give it a light hone to remove highest spots. Check tube size, what is snug for aftermarket may run nicely with a stock tube..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline rbirkhan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:07:06 am »
I spoke to my buddy that works in a machine shop. He said when they need to hone out small long bores (Like fork lowers) he recomended getting a piece of threaded rod split it down the center with a hack saw and slip in a piece of 320 grit and use a hand drill and some lubricant or water. It takes a bit of time but he said it would clean it up nice. Will respond later on how well it worked.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:54 am »
I don't use threaded rod just plain rod with a hacksaw slot.
 For a fork tube I would also put it inside a plastic tube to make sure there isn't any damage if it touches the bore.
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'