Author Topic: newbie cafe project  (Read 6366 times)

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
newbie cafe project
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:51:31 pm »
Hey guys, I've been workin on my project for a while now and figure its time to post up some pics on this great site.

The bike is a '75 cb550k that I picked up last year in stock condition except for the 4-1 exhaust. It was a beauty of a bike to begin with, but I've wanted to do a cafe project for a couple years now.

The carbs needed a serious cleaning, so with the help of TT, I got that out of the way early and changed out all the gaskets in the process.
The tubes were gunked hard.

After that I started getting the frame ready for some rearsets. Out came the angle grinder.

Bought some gsxr rearsets off feeBay for about $60 and mounted them with the frame clamps that the ohio cafe racer dudes use. I was worried about them being strong enough but they've been rock solid so far...and I've jumped on'em to test them.

I was originally going to try running a bent rod from the brake pedal back to the drum, but after checking into what some other folks have done, I decided to just connect the pedal with the old shaft.

To do this, I had to make a tab for the linkage rod and get it welded onto the pedal.

The hacked up brake pedal isn't pretty, but it works. ::)

While I was scratching my head about the rearsets, I yanked the stock handlebars off and added some adjustable tommaselli clip-ons.  Mounted them above the upper triple tree and lowered the front end about an inch. I took the elbow joint out of the bars to make them look a little cleaner.

I pulled the giant rear fender and cut up some scrap aluminum to make a tail light/license plate mount. It would probably look more at home on a bobber, but I don't really care....as long as it works. :)

might eventually need to make a new one with some thicker aluminum.

Next on the list was making a seat. thank god for sites like this because I had never worked with fiberglass before. After doing a little research on here and dotheton I started off by making a huge glob of foam with "great stuff" expanding foam.

and then carved out the shape I wanted. 

Taped her up:

and went hard with some fiberglass:

The fiberglassing went great, but since I made the wise decision to use some of my pop's 10 year old resin and hardener, it was all for nothing. :'( Long story short, the resin didn't take and the seat wouldn't harden up. So this one went in the garbage.

After drinking some beer and cursing myself for being too cheap to buy new resin/hardener, I started planning seat #2. ;D  I used what I learned from the first effort and changed some stuff up for the second.

I used a wooden base and some of that green florist foam. It was a helluva lot easier to cut and sand.

After an hour with the old turkey carver, I came up with this mold:

Foiled it up like one of the Hansen brothers and got it ready for glass:

The second go around went alot better, I used higher quality fiberglass matting and new resin.  Also used a foam roller that worked like a charm.

The glass hardened up like a rock this time.

here's a couple shots after some trimming:

The seat got a coating of bondo today and should have her ready for paint in a couple days.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Re: newbie cafe project
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:30:40 pm »
 8) Looking good, man.  I was wondering about the passenger peg mounts w/ those clamps that ohiocaferacer mentioned.  I was thinking they'd have to come off to work/look right.  Look pretty darn good on yours.  But can I make a suggestion?  Paint them black or even gold.
  Question about the Tomaselli's:  how'd you route your wires in them?  Could you post some close up pics?  Top notch overall.  Oh yeah, never seen a stripe like that on a k tank, it's the tops.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:28 pm »
Man looking good!  Seat is awesome, rear sets look good!

Puttin' on the foil coach, every game!  Has to be one of the best all time sports movies.........
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:06:21 pm »
Looking Great!

You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:26:26 pm »
Hey thanks alot for the feedback!

But can I make a suggestion?  Paint them black or even gold.

yeah i think black would look good. I'd like to make some new ankle guards too, something less modern looking.

how'd you route your wires in them?

Right now I just have the wires routed externally, on the clutch side I pulled out the clutch sensor button and got rid of that wire to clean it up a bit. I think i'll just zip tie the remaining wires under the bars because i'm not sure how to thread the wire through the bars without really carving them up.

I used a dremil to notch a hole in the clutch side switch housing for the wires to go through. I'll post up some pics tommorow.

cheers.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:33:09 pm »
Lookin good 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:29:29 am »
how'd you route your wires in them?  Could you post some close up pics?

Hey Fastbroshi, I finally got some pics of the bars.

Here is a couple shots of the clutch side:

The notch in the switch isn't too pretty, but nobody will be looking under there anyways.

And a couple of the brake side:

The seat took a ton of sanding...adding more bondo...more sanding....and then more bondo and more sanding, but it turned out pretty sweet.  It was the first time I'd worked with bondo and WOW :o, getting that rounded seat finished with no grooves was alot tougher than I expected. My buddy is painting it right now so hopefully i'll have some pics this week.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:58:21 pm »
Lookin' good.....what pipes are those ?
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:02:14 pm »
what pipes are those ?

Thats a good question ??? They were on the bike when I bought it, I think they are the 4-1 MAC exhaust, but I haven't been able to find any manufacturer markings on them to know for sure.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 03:28:47 pm »
The notch in the switch isn't too pretty, but nobody will be looking under there anyways.

That's what I'm trying to avoid.  Got some clubmans I'm routing the wires in, they're a real PITA.  Having to measure, put on the switch, measure, measure again, mount, measure, measure, dismount, you get the idea.  Came out pretty good on the right side. Still have to do the left.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
Yeah I could see clubmans being a real PITA to route the wires through. When I routed the wires through some SS bars I slid some tie-wire thru the bars, tied the tie-wire around the wires and then pulled them back through the bars with the wire. But clubman's have that sharp joint that would probably make things interesting.

I'm not sure routing the wires internally on clip-ons would be worth the effort, just because there is very little bar to use.

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
Re: newbie cafe project (new pics)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 07:36:00 am »
Well its about time I updated this bloody thing! Just got the seat back from my buddy and he did a fine job of smoothing out my rookie sanding grooves and adding some glossy black paint. Not sure I like it though because it shows how shotty the paint is on the tank! ;D

I didn't trust that the fiberglass could stand up to the jarring from our brutal roads so I used a couple heavy duty brackets to add some strength. Five dollar gate hinge should do the trick for now. 8)

I ran into some shorty shocks on kijiji at a price I couldn't refuse, so I added those a couple nights ago and really dig the new stance. AND now have some lowering blocks for sale if anybody is interested, freshly painted black. :P

I'll need to get some thick 1.5 or 2" foam to bring the seat up a bit though, my knees couldn't handle a long trip in that position...not sure anybody's could. :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:32:11 am by drackett_19 »

robscb350f

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:59:09 am »
Bike is looking great.  I like the rearset set up, specialy the way you modified the rear brake, saves me some brain work on how too, thanks.  Where can I order the frame clamps and spacers, you used on rearsets?  Do you have a link to the site that has them?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 12:01:07 pm »
I'll need to get some thick 1.5 or 2" foam to bring the seat up a bit though.

I found this great article on forming closed cell foam for kayak seats: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/kayakseat18a.htm

It really is easy and the foam is super light and supportive.

Nice work. Keep it comming.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 12:22:06 pm »
Bike is looking great.  I like the rearset set up, specialy the way you modified the rear brake, saves me some brain work on how too, thanks.  Where can I order the frame clamps and spacers, you used on rearsets?  Do you have a link to the site that has them?

Hey thanks Rob. I ordered the frame clamps from J&P Cycle, they're known as 3-piece frame clamps. Heres the link: http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=7000127&source=08harley

there was another site selling them too but i can't remember what it was called. For the spacers I just went to princess auto and used some 1" bearings that fit snug over the bolts.

I found this great article on forming closed cell foam for kayak seats: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/kayakseat18a.htm

It really is easy and the foam is super light and supportive.

Thanks Jimmy, that looks like great stuff. The foam i've seen so far is too soft and basically squashes flat when you sit on it.

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 05:57:35 am »
killer job on the seat. what brand fiberglass and resin did you use? i fiberglassed a little and it's definately an area which lies a lot of skill and practice. i just can't stand getting fiberglass in my throat  :-\

troppo

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:26 am »
glassing is something that does need a little know how, the brand isnt important, the technique is, google how to use fibreglass and read what you find.
With a few simple tricks up your sleeve you will be making things in no time. Fibreglass is one of the most usefull materials there is, but it doesnt like sharp corners

trav72

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:34 am »
AND now have some lowering blocks for sale if anybody is interested, freshly painted black. :P

I'm interested in the lowering blocks.  Let me know what you want for them.

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 10:27:53 am »
I'm interested in the lowering blocks.  Let me know what you want for them. 

PM sent.

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 07:02:52 pm »
killer job on the seat. what brand fiberglass and resin did you use? i fiberglassed a little and it's definately an area which lies a lot of skill and practice. i just can't stand getting fiberglass in my throat 

I can't recall the brand off hand, but the fiberglass matting I bought from Can Tire was crap compared to the stuff I got from an actual body shop, and it was the same price. I found on my second effort that more prep time helped alot. I cut up a bunch of smaller strips and pieces that would fit the shape of the seat better. It made it alot easier to apply without bubbling or wrinkles. The roller worked like a charm too.

It was probably extreme overkill, but I used this mask that was given to me a while back.

If you can get your hands on something like this you'll never have to worry about fumes or glass dust again.

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 01:32:20 pm »
Looking good!
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00:11 pm »
not sure if its cool to bump my project thread a year later ;D  But I finally took some pics with the seat finished and covered. so i'm pretty much done with it now and probably looking to sell it to fund another project. :'(

not sure why the pics are sorta blurry...i just pasted them from photobucket??

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:09:13 pm by drackett_19 »