Author Topic: CB550 (K0) Cafe Racer Project  (Read 3354 times)

scothonda

CB550 (K0) Cafe Racer Project
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:06:45 am »
Hi,

I bought my CB550 last year and I intended to do a restoration to its original condition, it has sat in my garage untouched since then, but I have now decided to start work on it.

After reading some of the threads on other peoples projects I have decided to go down the cafe racer route with my CB550 simply because it gives me more scope for making the bike individual and a one off and that really appeals to me.  It is going to be my first ever motorcycle project so I will be learning along the way and turning to you guys for help!.

My bike was an import from Japan and I have been informed by a UK Honda dealer that it is a 1974 K0 model with a 1975 K1 engine fitted, but when I got the bike I was told it was a 1977 (so your guess is as good as mine).  I have never heard it run but the engine does turn over freely and the oil in the engine is clean looking.  I am also missing some parts so I will have to try and track these down, exhaust, finned collars for exhaust, headlight, battery, front brake caliper and master cylinder.

I am also thinking of trying to fabricate my own cafe racer tail piece and use the original seat base....not sure if this is possible?  Has anybody done similar with fibre glass and filler maybe?

Anyhow I will start a stripdown over the next few days and see how things look.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:12:51 am by scothonda »

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Re: CB550 (K0) Cafe Racer Project
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:36:23 pm »
Here is a pretty simple how-to using a stock seat pan.  The finished product looks great!

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=19789.60
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:17:45 pm »
Welcome to the fray.
Looking forward to your progress.

FunJimmy
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

scothonda

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:23:43 am »
Here is a pretty simple how-to using a stock seat pan.  The finished product looks great!

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=19789.60

Hey CBGhia, thanks for that link to the seat info, I have had a look and I have decided that I am going to have a go at using my original seat pan. 
Looks like it could be within my abilities, I was so fired up after seeing the thread that I have been in the garage all afternoon stripping parts and took my seat apart, after all my seat was useless anyway so nothing to lose.  I am going to take some pics and upload them when I have made some progress.

I am going to concentrate on sorting out the front end and seat at the moment, can't afford to buy an exhaust at the moment so no chance of getting the motor running yet...that can wait until the weather warms up a little...-14degC outside today.

Hope my work doesn't disapoint you FunJimmy!!!

Take care

Daz
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:25:17 am by scothonda »

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:35:01 am »
Hope my work doesn't disapoint you FunJimmy!!!

It certainly won't!

I've been inspired by many projects on this site and look forward to every one of them.

Hope the temp gets a little warmer for you.

FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:59 pm »
if you can weld i used a stock seat pan on mine as well
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6671.0

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:32 pm »
The build date on the VIN tag, or the VIN itself indicate when it was built, and what model it is. The date on the title may be more or less inaccurate. In the last motorcycle recession, bikes would sit in crates in warehouses for a year or more before being sold, and then titled in the year sold.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

scothonda

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »
if you can weld i used a stock seat pan on mine as well
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6671.0

Hey ffjmoore, thanks for the input,

I am just feeling my way around really with the seat issue, I want a good looking end product but can't afford to spend hundreds getting a pre made item sooooo! I'm going to use the original seat pan and fabricate something myself.  I am looking at what others have acheived and will probably use a combination of other peoples ideas mixed in with some of my own work.  It will be documented on here for others to use and mix in with their ideas and so it goes on.

All part of the learning curve.

I do weld so I will see where I end up!  ;)

Thanx MCRider, my bike has not got a VIN plate just the number stamped on the frame, maybe it did spend some time sat in storage, that would explain it.

Thanx
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:58:44 pm by scothonda »

scothonda

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:43:53 am »
I have had a couple of days working on the bike and basically stripped bits off including the forks and got the seat stripped down to the original seat pan.  Lots of rust there but after a good wire brushing and a coat of anti rust paint its looking a bit better (see pics).

Next job is to try and create a good cafe seat...I am going to use foam to get the basic shape and then fibre glass it and filler (bondo).

I will be looking for some input from you guys on how you think it looks before I move onto fibre glass...at least I can remould the foam fairly easily so my plan is to get the shape / size of the tail hump right first time before I fibre glass.

I am then going to rebuild the front end probably using the original bits where I can.

I'm hoping to get started with moulding the foam this afternoon.

scothonda

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:41:02 am »
Having finished work early I managed to squeeze in a few hours on the bike and have shaped and sanded the foam on the seat base.  I am looking for your opinions on the size and shape of the foam and wether it is about the correct proportions.

Take a look at the attached pics (not the best pics but photography is not my strong point!!!!)

I was aiming to replicate the slope of the rear of the fuel tank down to the seat on the rear hump and also the curve of the fuel tank sides into the seat.  The problem was I also had to flush the foam to the seat base so i have ended up with a compromise...I suppose the only other option would have been to reshape the seat base.

Your honest feedback would be appretiated

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:40:58 am »
Looks good so far, but i would make the bump a little higher.  Once you put a seat pad on there, the bump looks smaller, so better to go big at the beginning.  Great start on the project!! can't wait to see more.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline noose74

• cafe racer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 04:44:13 pm »
hey scott honda, looks pretty good! i think the height is about perfect..nice lines...looks fast standing still...you dont want to go higher than the tank...good luck!!

scothonda

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 07:18:03 am »
Hi,

Work on my project has been pretty much at a standstill since January, I was sent out of my home area to work and so have only been getting home every other weekend.  I have not had the time to really get stuck into it, however I am now back home and planning on moving forward with the project.

I still need to get the motor running but can't until I sort out an exhaust and complete the cafe seat.  I also need to try and find a front brake caliper, so these are my main jobs at the moment.  Does anybody out there know if a caliper from another model will fit this bike?

Daz