Author Topic: Police CB650PZ  (Read 108271 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Police CB650PZ
« Reply #525 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:31 pm »
That's all I have too Kit, you'd think they would put a reccomended pressure on them eh.
I'm guessing this is my handling issue at the rear, the front def needs new fork seals as the weeping is starting to compromise disc brakes.
I have searched all over the web, even the Metzler site its self was useless for pressures.
I know I dropped a fair bit of pressure from my tyres when I got them cos they were like rocks and cornering was a real gamble, now the shine is off the tyres I'm guessing I better redo the pressures. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #526 on: April 28, 2009, 05:18:13 pm »
Dear diary: Well no further with finding a pressure for my tires, did however buy and fit the wires to my battery so I can trickle cgarge without removing battery from bike.
Isolated red lights so anal WOF inspectors don't have a blue fit, hopefully will run her through for WOF tomorrow, one of my few OFF days lately.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #527 on: April 28, 2009, 07:35:43 pm »
oy, Hush, just bothering you about tires again, back when you were riding on Spitfires instead of Metzelers (you knee dragger!) I think I remember you saying something about preferring the motorcycle's 'ideal pressure' to the one marked on the tires... right?
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #528 on: April 29, 2009, 04:28:32 am »
OK been to see the Suzuki guys and they say 2.9 BAR whatever that means, I think it works out at about 42 psi.
Then I went to the Honda guys and one of their guys looked up the computer and says my Metzlers should be running 42psi.
Now I'm a bit dubious at these high levels of psi in my tyres as I like to get around corners not slide past them, luckily just then Roger one of the sales guys who ownes a few 750 SOHC4's himself wanders past and we ask him the same question.
"Oh 32 in the front and 34 in the back unless you are carrying a load then 36".
Amazing, 2 days of searching the net and asking everyone I know if they have any idea of the correct psi for my tyres and I should ahve asked Roger? duh!
I did question the fact that when my bike was built 30 years ago and tyres were made of real rubber then, now they are like so many percent nylon and so many percent two other compounds wouldn't that make a difference?
Apparently not as my tyres aren't radials so tomorrow I'll put 32 in front and 34 in back and see how that feels........so many other people on the net asking the same question about bike tyre pressure?

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #529 on: April 29, 2009, 07:22:08 am »
my recommended isn't on the sidewalls, just the max. :(

Just run 3-8lbs under max.
The less the motorcycle is carrying the lower the pressure.

I wouldn't run under 10lbs under the max pressure though.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #530 on: April 29, 2009, 07:30:46 am »
ok.  I just want to try to get it dialed in, or figure out how to do that, since I'm probably really only 135# with all my gear on, so I don't want the rear or tires overly stiff (if it'd make that much of a difference)
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #531 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:42 am »
I know the boat you are in, I'm only 30lbs more than you (soaking wet).

As far as handling....?
At max pressure, or pressures I normally run at, I still see no difference when I do canyon rides.
Not sure if braking distance would be changed or not though.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #532 on: April 29, 2009, 09:06:36 am »
you mean the 2.3 miles required to stop for a red light? 

...I'm exaggerating but you KNOW what I mean.  It's scary, cuz I'm using ss lines and everything.  They're bled and all, nice and firm but still... wow.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #533 on: April 29, 2009, 01:49:47 pm »
you mean the 2.3 miles required to stop for a red light? 

...I'm exaggerating but you KNOW what I mean.  It's scary, cuz I'm using ss lines and everything.  They're bled and all, nice and firm but still... wow.

Yeah I know what you mean, the single disk doesn't cut it IMO, just from a safety standpoint.
Thats THE reason I went to dual disks.
I'm still running the 30+ year old stocker lines though, and my dual disk setup stops better than the stocker setup did.

With the single disk setup I don't think I could have locked up the front tire if I wanted to, now I can if I try.
Not that I want to, but stopping distances are much better for me now.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #534 on: April 29, 2009, 04:06:45 pm »
Twin discs certainly stop these heavy 650's quicker, even though I think mine is a wee bit under pressured.
My partners 400 has only a sigle disc but weighs about half what the CB does and her's stops on a dime.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #535 on: April 29, 2009, 06:23:34 pm »
Dear diary: well today was def a day of progress, pumped front to 32 and rear to about 35, feels a lot better and my cornering improved with the knowledge that I wasn't going to wobble in a big heap towards the gutter. ;D
Ran bike through for WOF and REG, all good, I gotta put aside at least an hour for this even though it only takes like 10 minutes as all the old guys down at the testing station want to chat about the Cop bike, nice fellahs and I always leave with a WOF even if some parts of the bike aint quite Kosha.
Nearly ran into a Police check point on my way there yikkes that would have been a bit embarressing.
Only bad spot is that bike ran like a pig all day, 3 cylinders I think and I was having way too much fun to garage it for the day so just babied it around the place.
Off to shed now to find the problem, oh yeah and seems my battery charging bogie is gone too, must be that borrowed stator..........wonder if he really really needs that one back? ;)

Edit: #1 and #2 came out a little more carboned than the usual but #3 and #4 were quite coated, I'm hoping it was just the fact that I didn't do what I normally do which is go out into the country for a long blast at highway speeds before going into town.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:22:20 am by Hush »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2009, 03:55:18 pm »
I experimented last week with a tankfull of 91 but I'm not too impressed with the performance since doing that so think I'll return to 95 V power from Shell, I was guessing that the compression on a 30 year old bike would be way down so 91 would be best, maybe the PO redid the motor and the 95 makes such a difference.
One day I must get a compression test done just for curiosities sake. :D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »
DON'T DO IT! you'll only freak out if it's way lower than it should be! ;)

I'm curious about mine, but more afraid to know.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #538 on: April 30, 2009, 06:23:38 pm »
Seems it's OK if they are low as long as they are all low, variations are what you don't want between cylinders.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #539 on: April 30, 2009, 06:40:07 pm »
Can I have this just to keep mine company in the shed during the long cold winters? Please!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-214266649.htm

Well took her for a run out into the country and that worked the charm, I had cleaned all the plugs before refitting them but once I hit road speed she was all good.
Unfortunately the charging system seems to be playing up again, got home and pressed the starter button and nobody home, well very weak reply anyway.
Still think I will have to have stator rewound at some stage just to get some piece of mind.
Tyres performing well, getting back to leaning into corners instead of slowing an steering around them ;D doubt I'll ever go back to my teen days of knee dragging as I'm pretty sure the pannier bags will hit before my knees. :D
Was contacted by a guy in Hamilton today who has a CB360P in rebuild, someone in England (Sam?) pointed him my way and I passed him along to a guy in Hastings (NZ) who has a mint CB360P with all the lights and sirens.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:05:26 pm by Hush »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2009, 08:09:24 pm »
Dear diary: Look what Hush borrowed from his bro-in-law. ;D
If this doesn't work I'm seriously back to the drawing board.
He even loaned me the rear axle off one of the 650's he is repairing so I could turn off the old rotor. :)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #541 on: May 04, 2009, 12:30:55 am »
So swapped my rotor for the borrowed one but weather is crud and I really don't want to just garage test her, I want to go for a decent ride to test the charging circuit.
Here's my way of removing the rotor, I strapped the old rotor around a few times with one of my tie down straps attached to the footpeg.
Used an impact driver (fav tool) to drive the bolt off then threaded in the borrowed rear axle, again the straps held the rotor in place while I turned it.
Used the same sysytem to put the borrowed rotor on giving it a few extra torques with my ratchet socket bar to make sure it don't come off in there. ;D

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #542 on: May 04, 2009, 01:25:45 am »
that's a good idea Hush, consider it borrowed  ;D
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2009, 01:42:28 am »
here in Canada we just hold the rotor with our hand,no strap,just an air tool.....then again...Canadians are made of steel,not cookies... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #544 on: May 04, 2009, 07:36:28 pm »
That funny CLANG CLANG noise coming from what was once your left engine cover will be the rotor making good its' escape then Marti.
Actually I was dead scared this bike had been owned by a Canadian in a past life and the rotor might be welded on! ;D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #545 on: May 04, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »
Dear diary: Well after a fantastic 2 hours around the countryside and through town and along the coast I finally grudgingly took the bike home.
Turned her off then hit the starter again VVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMMMMMM. ;D
Straight up no pause no hint of not wanting to run, re took the battery readings, at rest 13.29 volts, took her up to 5000 and the voltage climbed to 14.39.
OK I'm not 100% convinced that the rotor has cured my battery charging problems but I have got the borrowed rotor for a few days/weeks until my bro-in-law finishes his bike and needs it to complete it.
I have thought of a name for my bike.......Decoy.
Was cruising around just as the schools were getting out and there were cops all over the place pulling people up for going to fast past schools so my old bike fitted in nicely.
The only other cop bike in my area is a BMW and it is hardly ever on the road but I'm betting I get mistaken for it all the time hence the name "Decoy" ha ha ha........... :D :D :D

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #546 on: May 04, 2009, 10:51:11 pm »
just give him your old rotor back...and when he tries to solve his charging system,tell em to phone TT.. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #547 on: May 05, 2009, 12:24:16 am »
Can't do that Marti! :o  who do you think I am? >:(
And anyway my old one has a ground out ring right around it so he would spot it a mile away. ;D
What I think I will do as I have to give him back a decent rotor and I can't be f*#ked removing everything again I will buy one from the wreckers which is what i was going to use for my bike anyway.
He is doing up 3 CB650's for sale, one is just like mine in white (ex police) but missing all of the goodies like siren and flashing lights and panniers.
Two are Custom models, would all make great project bikes and hopefully will find good homes locally so I can see them around, my bike gets lonely around here!
I guarantee the engines will be primo but he isn't touching the paint etc, he's just getting out of bikes fullstop.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #548 on: May 05, 2009, 08:35:01 pm »
Bike started right up no worries so battery still holding charge, fingers crossed for a solution to my problem anyway. ;)

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #549 on: May 06, 2009, 02:03:10 am »
About your sooty plugs - I have iridiums (bought on ebay for 7$ a piece) and I will NEVER look back. As well, I have the power to the coils wired directly via relay from the battery - I can't measure this, but I think it does more good than harm.. ;)

Happy riding!
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets