Author Topic: Police CB650PZ  (Read 108274 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Police CB650PZ
« Reply #550 on: May 06, 2009, 09:58:53 am »
I will look for some iridium plugs locally Buber cheers.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #551 on: May 06, 2009, 10:02:21 am »
let me know how they do for you, since I'm more likely to have cold start issues than you are, Mr. "I live in NZ paradise"
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #552 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:08 am »
I read up on a thread here yesterday about cutting a part of the tip from the spark plug for increased power and less soot on the tips.....

let me see if i can find it.....

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-tech/47961-how-side-gapping-spark-plugs.html

here it explains it in detail.....

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:42:53 am by martino1972 »
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #553 on: May 06, 2009, 08:16:50 pm »
Today Paradise doesn't feel as nice Kit but I guess tomorrow is another day. :(
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #554 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:34 am »
Dear diray: OK better day, bike fired up first press after 2 days asleep in shed, lights all bright and battery fully charged so am becoming more confident that the rotor was to blame. :)

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #555 on: May 08, 2009, 07:53:28 am »
Makes me glad to know I have a stash of those too.
:)

Hows the weather on your side of the earth Hush?
Getting end of summer isn't it?
It's just really getting nice enough here in the mountains in eastern utah to do some nice canyon rides! (or at least without needing long johns and a snowmobile suit!)

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #556 on: May 08, 2009, 04:21:32 pm »
Yeah weather turning to custard here Soos but hey we never ever get snow here in Hawke's Bay and the rain ain't much in fact we are in our second year of official drought!
But if I win the Lotto tonight I'll crate up the bikes and come do some of those canyon rides you are always talking about. ;D

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #557 on: May 09, 2009, 09:38:41 am »
Well you ever manage to weasel those wining #'s, you are more than welcome to come on a few rides!!
Theres nothing quite like going from 4000 ft to 10000 ft. the view is AMAZING from some of these peaks around here.
Thats (IMO) one of the true attractions of utah.
The absolutely unique landscapes.

Heck even riding out to the salt flats is amazing.
Not too many places you can ride out on flat ground for miles and miles, and not be able to see anyone or anything!
Then there is the geode beds and many other rock hounding sites.
I love utah, but am annoyed greatly when all my neighbors call me "brother" assuming I am a fellow mormon..... religion is great and all, just don't assume I'm another sheep in your flock... sorry, i'll stop now.

l8r

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #558 on: May 09, 2009, 03:19:55 pm »
All good "brother Soos". ;D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #559 on: May 09, 2009, 11:42:52 pm »
Dear diary: After getting some good advice about checking my advancer for correct operation from Scunny I found it a little dry.
Dissasembled totally and greased the bits that move, bike seems to go very well after this but as weather was rain with big cross wind I never got over 50mph.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #560 on: May 10, 2009, 06:23:23 am »
did you have to mess with your timing after that again?
I ask because things are goin' good and I don't want to mess anything up. ;)

*gasp!*
I'm riding to work again, Hush!
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #561 on: May 10, 2009, 07:30:05 am »
Well, glad to hear you got that bugger lubed.

It does make a marked difference in high RPM acceleration when that little unit is working properly.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #562 on: May 10, 2009, 09:52:28 am »
Great to hear Delilah is working for you Kit, nah I was cunning as something really cunning, I managed to set the timing marks and put it all back together without disturbing them so she fired right up, if anything she is a bit closer to spot on timing I think or it maybe just the advancer working properly for once. ;D
Yeah Soos, lube lube and more lube.....actually the finest lube I had was that dielectric stuff so hope that was OK.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #563 on: May 10, 2009, 10:03:32 am »
you 'set the timing marks'.  ...
how did you do that?  Mark where things were with a sharpie so they all lined up, or tape everything together so it stayed in the same place, or...?
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #564 on: May 10, 2009, 12:15:57 pm »
I dunno about how anyone else does it, but when it comes to timing...
In a pinch(no timing light or anything to help out) I simply advance the timing plate to get the highest RPM the motor will do(at an idle), and back off the timing plate about 5 degrees.(a touch)

I prefer to use a timing light but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
And yes I have done this a time or two... dozen.

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #565 on: May 10, 2009, 10:00:18 pm »
Soos system works fine, I just cheated a bit and turned the motor over with a socket until the tip pointed at the front pulse generator pickup point.
That way when I reassembled it all I had to do was ensure the tip was to the front and once I fitted the plate line it up with the tip.
As long as you don't turn the motor over at all while you have the bits off this works easy as.
I retensioned the timing chain after that... hey never let a chance go by eh, the cover was alreadt off after all. ;D

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #566 on: May 10, 2009, 10:11:07 pm »
that's all I do, gives you a reference point then I do as Soos said find where the motor is happy and back off a bit. that's all I had available as a snotty faced boy and that's what I got now.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #567 on: May 11, 2009, 12:41:12 am »
Ha ha we trained in the same budget school of motorcycle mechanics then Scunny, if it works and it's free.....that's all we needed to know. ;D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #568 on: May 13, 2009, 01:54:54 am »
Dear diary: New parts have arrived yippee, so tomorrow I have new fork seals and dust seals to fit plus Jaffa's mirrors arrived in same package (wrong ones but the guy is sending correct ones tomorrow plus prepaid bag to send wrong ones back).
I dropped into my friendly wreckers today as well and he dug me out a rotor ($50), now I have to figure out if I wanna keep the borrowed one I have in the bike and give bro-in-law one from wreckers or swap out his and replace with wreckers one?
Guess I better run some tests to see which puts out the best voltage.
Nah hang on, the borrowed one works perfectly and the battery is holding charge.....there just talked myself into not taking the borrowed one out. ;D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #569 on: May 14, 2009, 01:01:51 am »
Dear diary: Well the forks come out real easy and I tried something new this time, last time I dropped out the forks to paint the whole triple tree/fork ears/headlight etc all fell into a heap.
This time I wired the triple tree up to the handlebars.....a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox! ;D
The fork oil that glubbed out of the forks looks to be probably Chateaux 79 but we will need carbon dating to confirm this.
Tomorrow is clean and reassembly day, yeah baby. :D
Oh yeah and Soos is sending me his 12 month old carb collars, more parts on their way woohoo.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:05:38 am by Hush »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #570 on: May 14, 2009, 07:51:44 pm »
Good hint for removing old fork seals, up-end the forks seal end first into a few inches of boiling water in an old sauce pan, they flick straight out after a few minutes of boiling. ;)

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #571 on: May 14, 2009, 09:39:40 pm »
yep, boiling water is the way to go, I also add some WD40, don't know if it helps but I love the smell  ;D
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #572 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »
Cheers Scunny, well as with all my adventures into bike repairs nothing ever goes quite to plan, keeps it kinda interesting I suppose. ;D
Anyhow rebuilt the forks, got half way through the second one and realised I had one of those Oh Oh moments, the sort you get when you realise that there will be spare parts over when you have finished. :o
It was the retaining snap rings I'd left out, happens when you put half the bits in one container and half in another, no harm done even though the bottom allen bolt was cementing its self forever in a sea of loctite, using lateral thinking and the odd prayer I flipped the dust seals off and fitted the snap rings from the top. 8)
As per normal when I do fork seals the old chestnut of how much fluid to add cropped up again, here in NZ we use mls (millilitres) but the book says either CC's or fluid Ounces!
Googled a fluid measure site and calculated the amount (wrongly as it turned out) it works out to be about a cup of fluid per fork, not very scientific but my late Mother would agree.
Now we come to the wierd bit, the book says there is a "flat washer" on top of the main spring and below the top bolt, mine had 2 flat washers and one from each fork was totally coozed, thin as your fingernail and twisted into the spring? hope they aint vital cos my bike don't have them no more. ;D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #573 on: May 14, 2009, 10:57:10 pm »
Dear diary: Ran out of time/patience/light so will finish it all tomorrow.....night shift calls. :(

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #574 on: May 15, 2009, 06:44:58 am »
Night shift sucks!
I feel for ya man!!

You should be quite happy with the results of new fork oil!

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650