Author Topic: Police CB650PZ  (Read 108265 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Police CB650PZ
« Reply #625 on: June 01, 2009, 01:52:11 am »
Dear diary: Today it bloody well snowed!!! in Napier...it snowed????
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #626 on: June 03, 2009, 02:37:26 pm »
So swapped my rotor for the borrowed one but weather is crud and I really don't want to just garage test her, I want to go for a decent ride to test the charging circuit.
Here's my way of removing the rotor, I strapped the old rotor around a few times with one of my tie down straps attached to the footpeg.
Used an impact driver (fav tool) to drive the bolt off then threaded in the borrowed rear axle, again the straps held the rotor in place while I turned it.
Used the same sysytem to put the borrowed rotor on giving it a few extra torques with my ratchet socket bar to make sure it don't come off in there. ;D

Was that an AIR impact wrench you used, or what?  I'm having a helluva time getting that rotor off.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #627 on: June 03, 2009, 08:44:57 pm »
Nup just tighten the tie down so the rotor can't slip, you can give the end of the bolt/axle a tap with a hammer to break the seal, use a nice long bar on your socket to get maximum leverage then just lean on it (for blondes it's clockwise you'll be going).
If your bar is too small use an old gas pipe slipped over it to extend your leverage, got a feeling that was how I did mine.
Get Mickey to put some pressure on the socket to make sure it don't slip and you end up rounding the bolt off.
Anyhow it should just pop off Kit, are you using the spare axle or a bolt you bought?
Axle has a good head on it for max grab.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #628 on: June 03, 2009, 09:30:44 pm »
I bought a bolt after it started looking like I was damaging the rotor's threads. The axle is fine but the threads on the rotor were getting a little bit rough, and a sliver managed to nail me in the finger, so I figured it would be best to go ahead and get a bolt that will protect those threads more than the axle was doing.  I cleaned things up afterward and aside from some slight burring, the threads seem okay.

:P

"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #629 on: June 05, 2009, 01:25:51 am »
Dear diary: Winter sucks...did I tell you that winter sucks? well I stand by that statement!
Anyhow to fund my addiction to new tools I decided to sell one of my guitars that I don't seem to have time to play anymore....Peavey electric is on the market and will channel funds into a decent Morgan carb sync.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #630 on: June 05, 2009, 09:00:25 am »
Winter?  Now this is winter. ;D 

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #631 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:19 am »
Awww.....
 :'( :'(

End of riding season Hush?
Too bad.

But on the other hand, us northers hemisphere riders can tease you with our riding tales now, instead of being teased by your riding tales :):)

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #632 on: June 05, 2009, 02:48:32 pm »
But wait! the weather has cleared....I'm going riding. ;D
Soos, did I tell you how much I love you (in a manly kind of way of course) ;D those isolators worked the magic baby, had no trouble holding my own in traffic and got to 80mph before I ran out of road along one straight, man she is going sooooo damn good, I'm really pleased I got to ride today as the weather is forcast to turn nasty again tomorrow.
Ran out of gas I was having so much fun ha ha....ah well I might have a wee poke around the carbs to see if they need a sync...bike went awesome so maybe I'm all good there.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:03:24 pm by Hush »

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #633 on: June 05, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »
Hey Hush, How're you routing your fuel line?  Mine seems to have to make some kinda stupid 90* bend to get to the carbs...

anyway, I found this and I'm going to try it out, because my bike's acting funny, like the fuel line is getting pinched off, and I don't have the original spring anymore that kept it from kinking.

1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #634 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:00 pm »
That looks like it will work, mine works perfect and I just cut my main line and added the filter, it sits up vertically and looking at it today is doing a great job of collecting rust!
That may have something to do with me running out of gas today after a primo ride.. :D ;D still can't stop grinning at the massive day I had on bike. ;D
Hey Soos, I got the front wheel to lift in 2nd and 3rd gears ha ha ha oh I'm gonna miss the Summer riding season.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:42:55 pm by Hush »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #635 on: June 06, 2009, 07:41:44 pm »
Dear diary: Did a run out to the prison today just to see if the ride is gonna become a bike commute or not, side winds, icey wind, idiot drivers....maybe not.
Anyhow I had a good ride around the next city of Hastings and was coming home on the main highway when I heard a bang and watched int eh mirror as my lefthand pannier bag spat it's lid into the car traffic behinde me. :o
I had to complete the ride across the bridge before I could go back for what I expected to be a hinge a clasp and 5000 pieces of freshly run over white plastic.
Amazingly the drivers were dodging the bloody thing, it was dead smack in the left lane and they were going over the top of it.
Upon seeing what probably looked to them like an out of condtion cop running across the bridge toward them they even slowed and gave me time to retrieve the box top.
One minor scratch on one corner, probably when it flew off originally but apart from that I need a new hinge.
Bike still going very strong and seems to revil in hard acceleration, thought running out of gas the other day would have clogged a carb but that wee inline filter is working a treat and no misses from the engine. :D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #636 on: June 07, 2009, 09:59:00 pm »
Dear diary: Went looking for some hinges to replace the pannier ones, not much luck so far.
Shoei panniers would have had Jap hinges fitted so don't think I'll be going stock on those. :D

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #637 on: June 07, 2009, 10:04:59 pm »
What part of the hinge broke? Do you have a pic?
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #638 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:37 pm »
aaahhh,just weld the sucker.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #639 on: June 07, 2009, 11:33:39 pm »
Weld this baby! ;D

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #640 on: June 07, 2009, 11:55:26 pm »
that can be welded,no problem.....piss of it is,that if you have to let that be welded by a shop,it's gonna cost ya a bit....but then again,would be nice to keep the hinges original.......
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #641 on: June 08, 2009, 12:05:48 am »
Nah mate it's about as thin as a page of copy paper, I think a weld would cut right through it.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #642 on: June 08, 2009, 09:40:04 pm »
Dear diary: OK got some bog standard small door hinges and stainless screws with locking nuts to fit them today, all up less than $20.
Have to find time to fit it all together, am bidding on a Yamaha FZR250 for my son on Trademe tonight so better stay close to the computer.
Hope he gets it as looks like an easy rebuild and we could have him rolling for Summer.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #643 on: June 08, 2009, 10:24:26 pm »
that looks to be a good candidate Hush, hope the price doesn't rocket on you
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #644 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »
Yeah that $700 bid straight after it was crawling along in the $500 area is very suspicious, checked on the bidder and they are from same area and have bought nothing but baby clothes for the last 5 years so bidding on a motorbike out of the blue is a bit hard to swallow. :D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #645 on: June 11, 2009, 12:49:13 am »
Dear diary: Thanks to a pulled muscle in my back (so took a health day)I got some more work done on the pannier bags.
Removed old hinges and remodelled some stock cupboard hinges I bought from Mitre10, undercoated pannier tops and hinges.
Top coat of white paint to tops and initial black on hinges, let'n em harden over night and will recoat tomorrow.
Tricky bit is gonna be refitting the hinges and ensuring they are strong enough to hold them on.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #646 on: June 13, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »
Dear diary: While the tops of panniers are off I thought I might as well remove the panniers to get at the shocks, am seriously contemplating replacing them as last time I was riding I hit a pothole and felt the rear end bottom out.
Very hard to tell if the old ones are toast or not, will wave them by the Honda guys and price ha ha ha a set, Partsnmore in USA seems to have a set that many forum members are buying so may end up there @ $75 US= $116 Kiwi plus transport costs.
Dave Silver in England has the same shocks @ 65 pounds=$165 Kiwi so won't be going there.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #647 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:43 am »
Damn and blast!!! replacement shocks for the bike are gonna cost me $400 at least!!! :(
Aparently you cannot rebuild old bike shocks, which kind of amazes me since we seem to revamp everything else.
HAGON are the ones that will fit the CB650Z model, they have the double clevis at the bottom which no one else has.

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #649 on: June 17, 2009, 01:52:00 am »
Hey thanks for that Buber, actually I just bit the bullet (don't tell wife) and ordered a set from David Silver, cost $247 Kiwi including freight from England.