Author Topic: Police CB650PZ  (Read 108246 times)

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
Re: Police CB650PZ
« Reply #700 on: July 21, 2009, 08:45:19 am »
Yes Kit he keeps trying to sell me that Aussie air filter!

Well, they're overstocked in Australia, seems everyone has one, so I'm just trying to expand the market  ;)

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #701 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:00 am »
I'd steer clear of Australia then, they might "expand" you! ;)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #702 on: July 22, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
OK about now I'd like the moderators on here to remove a few of my stars! >:(
I just got my bike from the mechanic, she was booked in for a carb sync as ever since I fitted those nice new carb isolators Soos sent me she has run well below par.
Went to pick the bike up and my mech couldn't get that know it all smirk off his face. ;D
The carbs weren't that far out of sync but he reset them anyway but first he had to fix my f#@k up. :P
I didn't push the carb isolators hard back onto the shoulder bracket that rack all the carbs together, there was quite a gap on the right side so air was getting in to stuff my mixture up.
He says he gets a lot of home fixed bikes coming in with that sort of thing, even single carb ones so not to feel too bad about it. :)
I guess $130 bill will teach me to be more careful next time, anyhow she goes like a rocket..well a 30 year old rocket and even riding home in the gale force winds today I couldn't stop smiling as the speedo needle touched 80mph. :D
Damn I love that old bike even if does cost me more than my ex wife to maintain! ;)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #703 on: July 22, 2009, 11:16:27 pm »
Hmm, and you didn't see it? When I mount the carbs, there's distinctive moment when they  "fall" into place. And then, the rubbers must reach a certain point on the carbs.

Anyway, good to hear that you can enjoy the ride! Just would you be so kind, and switch off the siren sir?  ;D
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #704 on: July 23, 2009, 12:25:07 am »
Siren is on a "secret" toggle switch Buber, just in case the boys in blue decide to pull me over and accuse me of impersonating a Police Officer. :D
Damn I'm still kicking myself over those carbs, it sure looked right!
Aparently you have to whack them right hard back into the carb rack collar, oh well live and spend money. :)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #705 on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:17 pm »
Dear diary: Spent a pleasant few hours racking up some miles today, bike went like a dream  :D.
Got my sons' CBR400 "O" ring chain cut and fitted, damn I'm good, then had a sneaky first ride.
Smoke for Africa man, guess when the old motor blew a lot of the oil ended up in the header pipes, thought she was on fire for a terrible moment but all good. :)
Had a fiddle with the air filter on partners' GSX400 but still the bike is acting wierd, maybe air screw adjustment required, will consult book tonight at work. ???

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #706 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:09 pm »
Dear diary: Damn and blast, I've broken the fuel tap, that's me not riding for a while until I find a replacement. :(
Just too heavy handed I guess, I rode the bike this morning and when I got home I noticed a small amount of gas coming off the tap, I removed the tank and drained it, removed the tap and couldn't find any fault so guessed it was just a minor leak caused by vibration and a quick tightening would have it done, well that didn't go to well. >:(
So am now hunting for a replacement tap, a bit rare here in NZ so might end up on Ebay.
Little bit of good news, I have the partners' GSX400 running well, dressed the points and reset the pilot idle screws.
My son came around and seeing I had fitted the chain to his CBR400 he decided he couldn't wait for a first ride so we bolted on the fairings and he and his mate (mate has a CBR1000) roared off.
He came back about an hour later, can't get the grin off his face, I know that feeling.
Bike sings up to 190klmph he says, not sure if he is pulling my leg, I do know those bikes are fast but 190? :o
Gutted I couldn't ride with them since my Honda is broke. :'(

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #707 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:56 am »
Bike sings up to 190klmph he says, not sure if he is pulling my leg, I do know those bikes are fast but 190? Gutted I couldn't ride with them since my Honda is broke.

That would have been a sight, vintage cop bike being pulled over by modern cop bike and given a speeding ticket  :D

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #708 on: July 27, 2009, 06:45:23 pm »
Hey I'd be happy with the 190 kmph (about 125 mph?) speed, I'd wear the ticket if my bike could do that! ;D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #709 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:34 pm »
I would think your bike might be able to make it up there...
...maybe without all that stuff on it, anyway. ;)
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #710 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:58 pm »
Hey Kit I wouldn't know, my speedo only goes to 80mph. :)

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #711 on: July 28, 2009, 07:54:04 am »
Hey Kit I wouldn't know, my speedo only goes to 80mph.

Is that so the cops wouldn't get scared by how fast they were really going??

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #712 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:05 am »
mine only goes to 80 too, though, but I can firmly bury the needle and have way more to go.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #713 on: July 28, 2009, 09:53:43 am »
I guess they didn't need any more speedo Brandon, the legal speed limit in those days was 50mph throughout the whole country and most cars we had in the 70's were struggling to do that. :D
Now you can rock on into any car sales and buy a jappa that does 200kph in any city, probably why they are doing away with motorcycle cops in NZ. :(

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #714 on: July 29, 2009, 01:59:24 am »
Dear diary: I think I can fix the gas tap, need to get a little welding done on the edges of the steel nut so it won't pull through the tap when I tighten it up, then it should be stronger than when the Japs designed it.
Have to source replacement petrol resisitant washer as the 30 year old one is as hard as brick and possibly one of the reasons it was leaking.
The small in-line filter I fitted has done a terrific job of stopping crud/rust getting to the carbs, will need another of those as well.
Gas lines look a bit suspect too so about half a metre of that on my shopping list.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #715 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:53 am »
Welding on a gas tank? You've got more confidence than I do. I like making things go BOOM but that's a little too close for comfort!
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #716 on: July 29, 2009, 09:53:31 am »
Nah mate, just the gas "tap", I have removed it from the tank, it's just the sealing up bit I'm working on, strewth us kiwis are sometimes though of as a little crazy but we aint suicidal. ;D

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #717 on: July 29, 2009, 06:16:11 pm »
strewth us kiwis are sometimes though of as a little crazy but we aint suicidal.

Nahh, that's left for us Utahrns  ;) I washed my gas tank out a few times let it bake in the sun for a bit and washed it out a few more times. Then I tore a big a$$ hole in it on accident so I cut out that area and welded in a new one. Even tested it for leaks and it held. No hint of a boom, not even a small pop. You have to know what you are willing to do and the risks involved, but I believe that sometimes the risks can be reduced to a reasonable level.

You know Hush, if you just weld that tap on there, you won't ever have to worry about the little nut thingy breaking ever again  ;)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #718 on: July 29, 2009, 07:33:24 pm »
The only "nutty" thing that needs welding is you Brandon, I wonder if Marti lives close enough to make a house call? ;D

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #719 on: July 29, 2009, 09:16:01 pm »
Nutty as a loon  :o

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #720 on: July 30, 2009, 06:11:09 am »
Seriously speaking - fill the WASHED tank with something neutral - sand, baking soda, dry ice, nitrogen, anything that doesn't burn and takes up space and you will be OK for welding...
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #721 on: July 30, 2009, 07:11:18 am »
I've heard of people using dry ice, which has the advantage of leaving no harmful residue. Obviously don't stop up any of the holes, ie filler and petcock or else you will make a nasty grenade and defeat the purpose of this excersize.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #722 on: July 30, 2009, 07:46:46 am »
Forget the dry ice...... that costs money.
Hook a hose from your car/van/truck to the tank from the exhaust.
I've seen 1500 gallon fuel tanks welded on that were done using this procedure.

The CO2 from the exhaust is plenty enough to keep things from blowing up.
just make sure that the hose goes into the tank, but is small enough to keep a flow going out of the filler hole too.
Basically you don't want to pressurize the tank, just keep 'er filled with gases that will not burn.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #723 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:06 am »
Hey hey slow down guys I'm only playing with the nut that holds the tap onto the tank. ;D
I just want to put a ridge on the nut so it wont pull through when I tighten it up onto the tank.
I'm being typically Hush cheap as I think my chances of finding a good tap locally are about zip, back-up plan is Scunny has offered me a spare he has. :)

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #724 on: July 30, 2009, 09:59:52 am »
Can you post a pic of the damage, I have some ideas but not sure if they would work.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom