Author Topic: Police CB650PZ  (Read 108244 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Police CB650PZ
« Reply #725 on: July 31, 2009, 10:33:38 pm »
If you ever wondered what was inside your gas tap on your 650 here is an exploded view. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #726 on: August 01, 2009, 03:47:48 am »
have you thought about maybe brazing the petcock? it might be better than welding.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #727 on: August 01, 2009, 05:45:05 am »
have you thought about maybe brazing the petcock? it might be better than welding.

Brazing is for wimps! Hush be a man and melt it down and reform it like the biking pioneers of old!! Ok, totally kidding here. The exploded view gave me an idea, either that or caffeine and sleep depravation. could you carefully cut or grind the top off that nut thingy and find a washer that has the same outside and inside diameter and carefully braze it back on. You'd have the advantage of a much thicker piece of metal at that point. Just a thought, and with the brazing you'd be less likely to warp it out of round.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #728 on: August 01, 2009, 10:11:19 pm »
Nice thought Brandon but the nut is steel and has no wear, it's the alloy that passes through it that is worn down causing the tap to disconnect under load.
I've got another idea, a mate at work makes miniature steam engines, about 1/100th scale and they pull carraiges of people around special little rail systems.
Anyway he is a really good miniature engineer and makes a lot of his own (all may be) parts, I gave him a whacking great brass rod I found in my shed when I bought my house so he said any time I needed some light engineering to contact him.
I'll take him up on that tomorrow.
Backup plan is to get a spare Scunny has in the South Island if he can find it and I can persude him to part with it.
I am so totally screwed without that damn tap!!! >:(
In the states you just pop off down to the wreckers yard, something we have few of here in NZ. :(
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #729 on: August 02, 2009, 04:35:31 am »
The wreckers yard is no good if they don't have the bike you need. The 650's aren't as readily available as some of the others. Remind me again, does it have to be the Z model petcock? If not, and your buddy can't fix it and scunny can't find his, I could call around to a couple wreckers that are here local and see if I can source one for ya.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #730 on: August 02, 2009, 09:36:11 am »
Cheers Brandon, I'll get back to you on that, the 750 is the same fitting apparently.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #731 on: August 02, 2009, 09:50:00 am »
Well that should make it easier to get one then  :)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #732 on: August 02, 2009, 11:34:49 pm »
Damn, thought I had one but this tank doesn't have one. :(

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=232875457

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #733 on: August 03, 2009, 04:01:05 am »
I've noticed that when someone takes a bike apart, the first thing removed always seems to be the petcock. Go figure. Lemme know if you need me to make some calls, and what models I'd be looking for.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #734 on: August 04, 2009, 12:32:30 am »
Cheers Brandon but a fellow SOHC4 member and CB650 owner here in Godzone has sent me a spare he had, just shows the calibre of the forum members we share this love of old bikes with.
Scunny you rock mate. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:35:28 am by Hush »

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #735 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:06 am »
Heh. Very cool there scunny.
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #736 on: August 04, 2009, 07:10:29 am »
Geez that looks uncomfortable!

Anyhow, glad to hear you got your part Hush, now don't overtighten it again!  ;)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #737 on: August 04, 2009, 08:19:30 pm »
Totally totally cool Mickey, and Brandon that is actually a little movie but I don't know how to run it.

Edit, um OK you click on it and it works duh!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:21:19 pm by Hush »

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #738 on: August 04, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »
Totally totally cool Mickey, and Brandon that is actually a little movie but I don't know how to run it.

Edit, um OK you click on it and it works duh!!

Wow, hope to never have to try that  :)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #739 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:00 pm »
Dear diary: Scunny's gas tap arrived this morning and I managed to fit it without stripping the threads. ;)
I'm testing it right now for leaks before fitting it to the bike but so far it seems to be holding up great.
Thanks for the in-tank filter too Scunny, I'll ditch the in-line one I have been using up till now, it caught heaps of rusticals during it's few months service so money well spent.
I'm having a petrol tap day, fixing my sons' CBR400RR gas tap too, I got the bike running for him and he went for a blast but I noticed the gas tap was weeping so I tracked down a gasket that almost fitted and filed it down till it did, fingers crossed it keep the seal.
OK I'm, off for a ride.....thanks again Scunny, wont forget your generosity..........Hush.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:47:16 am by Hush »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #740 on: August 05, 2009, 09:24:44 pm »
Dear diary: what a pure #$%* getting the new petrol line onto the carb spigot.
I tried stretching it, opening it with a screw driver,greasing it and in the end brute strength and pig ignorance finally prevailed. :D
Had better luck with the CBR, it went flawlessly?
And to make matters worse I was just talking to a friend who rides and rebuilds old bikes and hers only costs $80 a year to register, mine cost $367?
The difference is her bike is a 40 year old british thing as opposed to my 30 year old Japper.
I think I'll keep mine for another 10 years so it gets cheaper. ;D

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #741 on: August 05, 2009, 10:07:59 pm »
no problems with the petcock Hush, you needed one I had one.
regards fitting new fuel lines, I heat the end up in hot water and jam a golf tee in it, then wander over to bike remove tee and install
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #742 on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:23 am »
Damn why didn't I think of that?
Oh yeah that's right I prefered to use brute strength and pig ignorance...damn damn damn. ;D

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #743 on: August 06, 2009, 06:21:49 am »
Anyone who says violence never solved anything has obviously never worked on 30 yo motorcycles  ;D

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #744 on: August 06, 2009, 07:00:42 am »
come on, now, manji'sann.  violence only strips threads, cracks sump pans, and snaps bolts.
These bikes just like a firm hand and a woman telling them what to do. ;)
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #745 on: August 06, 2009, 03:17:57 pm »
No I think that was me you were thinking about Kit! ;D

"just like a firm hand and a woman telling them what to do"

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #746 on: August 06, 2009, 07:57:51 pm »
Heh, very true. Would you settle for constructive brute force in certain situations??

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #747 on: August 07, 2009, 10:07:29 pm »
OK I've had a #$%* of a day getting intimate with my old girls hard to reach bits.
I dropped the carb bowls on #1 and #2 a grand total of 7 times, would they seal? would they Hell as like.
I swapped out bowls and floats and float valves and pivot pins...and still petrol everywhere!!!
The #1 carb still pulses (through the isolator) when the bike is running, but the bike runs great at 8000 rpm?
#2 carb leaks like a sieve, gas everywhere, I parked the bike up before I took to it with an axe!
Anyhow now I'm wondering if the #2 carb leaks because it's getting massive amounts of gas from #1 carb and the pulsing isolator is the huge amount of gas the bike is trying to swallow because #1 has a sunk float???
It would explain the reason the bike runs fine at high revs and burbles at idle.
Damned if the bike doesn't run perfectly on #3 and #4 alone! and those carbs don't leak at all.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #748 on: August 07, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »
I'm really gutted cos there is an M/C run locally and I would really have loved to do it as the bike wasn't quite up to it last year....apparently it still isn't this year! :P

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #749 on: August 08, 2009, 04:09:10 am »
Wow, thats frustrating! Are your floats the foamy rubber ones? I've always wondered if they can get to where they absorb the gas. Take one of the floats you know is working and one that isn't mark them with a marker or scribe gently in the metal arm and then drop them in a cup of water or gas and see if one floats higher than the other. Thats the best way I've read to do it. Also check for crud in the float needle and seat, and if you haven't already, consider replacing the needle. I'm of the opinion that the spring in the little needle slowly loses it's springyness and will allow the float to come up higher before it completely seals. I know on my 500 when I replaced the needles there was a night and day difference between the tension on the old spring and the new one.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom