Author Topic: Police CB650PZ  (Read 108245 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Police CB650PZ
« Reply #750 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:52 pm »
Float needles are just about all new, float height was too high and there was some crap stuck in #2 float needle hole.
Bike going good now, still a minor leak at #2 but I'll wtach that as sometimes they cure themselves after leaving for a day or two.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #751 on: August 10, 2009, 08:19:27 pm »
Scratch that last optimistic sentence, she leaks like an old lady full of coffee!
So after removing the carb bowls for the 17th time in 3 days I decided enough was enough, if the floats were held up they blocked the flow and after holding a float regatta in a roasting pan full of water I found the two best floats and reset the float height tabs to a rediculously high setting, but the leaking stopped! :)
I've yet to run the bike to see if I have stuffed up the running by doing that to the floats but I'm reaching desperation stage here. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #752 on: August 10, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »
Captains log star date 11.08,2009: Logic tells me Mr Spock that with the floats set so high it would be impossible for the carbs to leak.
Ah yes Captain but you fail to factor in the Magical Arse Rape Fairy to your equation!!

And so they still leak leak leak leak leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how can this be possible???????????

I'm left with the option of tearing them out of the bike to bench examine them grrrrrrrrrr.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #753 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »
don't you love carbs.
when you say set the floats high, is that towards the carbs(as in up) or down away from carbs, down would mean lower fuel level or have I just had a bad day.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #754 on: August 11, 2009, 02:06:16 am »
I reset them lower so there is a lower fuel level in the carbs but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.
I'm at a loss to explain this Scunny, all I did was change the tap and renew the fuel delivery line.
OK I'm sure I got some rubber from the fuel line in the carbs but it seems to only effect the #1 and #2 carbs #3 and #4 are behaving themselves.
At this stage I think I'm gonna have to remove all the bowls and floats and valves then blow out the lines (or suck them out as previously explained).
It's just soooooooooooo damn frustraiting, nothing I do seems to work.
At least I'm not intimidated by my carbs anymore Hell i could drop them out on the side of the road in the dark I reckon. ;D

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #755 on: August 11, 2009, 03:37:54 am »
Sorry for your troubles hush, but you should just remove them carbs and be done with it  ;)
Shouldn't have to worry too much about throwing off the sync that was done if cleaning / debris removal is all that is needed. 

I always told myself that if I have to remove all 4 bowls for some reason, I might as well remove the whole rack.  I get too $(#(@ frustrated trying to fiddle with 'em on the bike.

Cheers, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #756 on: August 11, 2009, 05:43:16 pm »
I've stood back and analised the flooding situation, only two things can create this event.
1) Stuck float..........don't think that is the problem.
2) Jammed open/defective seal on the float valve.........I'm leaning toward this big time.
Nothing else will flood the carbs in thsiw ay, so all I have to do is sort that out....... :( :) I'll figure it out wait and see.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #757 on: August 11, 2009, 09:22:42 pm »
Dear diary: took a day away from the bike to clear my head, sometimes I get too close to a problem and cannot see the wood for the trees.
I'll rip her apart again tomorrow, who knows I might even get luck enough to fix the beast? ;D

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #758 on: August 12, 2009, 12:14:24 pm »
Wow Hush, you Kiwi's sure have some funny looking sheep  ;)

Good luck on the carbs, I haven't done anything with mine since starting. I had begun to tear them apart to blast and paint them, but since the funding ran out on that I'm just gonna clean them the best I can and put them back together.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #759 on: August 12, 2009, 07:40:12 pm »
You'll figure it out.

Have you ever replaced your float needles?
I recommend using something with a rubber/viton/?other tip.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #760 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:35 am »
Hi Soos, yep I replaced the whole lot with new float valves a few months back.
Brandon, that is a photo of George, he is famous in NZ for defending a group of young children against a pack of pitbull dogs, George was old and friendly and followed the local kids about where ever they went, one day he was tagging along with them to the local dairy when a pack of savage uncontrolled pitbulls attacked the kids, George got between the small children and the pitbulls and would not let them near, he was savagely torn to pieces and died at the vets that same day.
George won a British medal of valour for animals that have laid down their lives for humans.
I keep a picture of George to remind me how selfless little dogs can be. :)

OK back to the bike, me and the Jaffa tore out all the carb bowls/valves/floats today, I hooked up an old vacuum cleaner with a tiny pipe adaptor and sucked from the inlet pipe then blew from the valve seats, did this a couple of times, hope I have cleared whatever was blocking the float valves.
Strangely enough #3 carb float valve had some crap stuck to it on the tip, it may well have been enough to jam it open.
But as #3 never leaked or gave me any trouble I can only asume that it was back flooding to #2 and that was where the trouble looked like it was coming from.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:57:40 am by Hush »

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #761 on: August 13, 2009, 04:37:11 am »
Dear diary: Well got the carbs put back together after blowing them out, not sure if I've fixed them or not.
Son came around and interupted as he needed the fairings off his CBR400RR taken off so they can be painted, of course Dad needed to help with this so 650 got sidelined.
Weather looks dodgy for the rest of the week right through to Friday following so might not get to test out the bike, bet I do though. ;)

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #762 on: August 13, 2009, 06:46:50 am »
Brandon, that is a photo of George, he is famous in NZ for defending a group of young children against a pack of pitbull dogs, George was old and friendly and followed the local kids about where ever they went, one day he was tagging along with them to the local dairy when a pack of savage uncontrolled pitbulls attacked the kids, George got between the small children and the pitbulls and would not let them near, he was savagely torn to pieces and died at the vets that same day.
George won a British medal of valour for animals that have laid down their lives for humans.
I keep a picture of George to remind me how selfless little dogs can be.

Wow, now I feel bad for joking about him. Animals are amazing, and that is definately a touching story.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #763 on: August 13, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »
Dear diary: Well today started off promisingly enough, Jaffa and I rolled both my CB out and her GSX400 ready for a test ride as her bike is still not 100% road worthy yet and I wanted to see her ride it.
There is a nice long straight 2 mile country road just around the corner for just such a test ride.
Unfortunatley as I opened the gate to leave, my bike started leaking from the carbs #@*& again and Jaffa's wouldn't start because the battery was low (although it was running just a few minutes ago?)
So we rolled them back into what she calls the bike hospital and got wrenching, carb bowls off for the 24th time this week!!!
We fixed it...it flooded....we fixed it...it flooded....... >:( >:( >:(
Finally we decided that the small"O" ring seal on the booster was probably to blame so we dropped down to the bike shop and got a replacement.
Anyhow short story long, after removing the bowls a few more times it finally sealed up, I'm hopeful that we got the buggar this time......and Jaffa got some valuable lessons on carb repairs....she however sees it as her fixing something I couldn't!!! >:( ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:32:39 pm by Hush »

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #764 on: August 14, 2009, 04:04:20 am »
Anyhow short story long, after removing the bowls a few more times it finally sealed up, I'm hopeful that we got the buggar this time......and Jaffa got some valuable lessons on carb repairs....she however sees it as her fixing something I couldn't!!!   >:( ;D

That's really cool she would be willing to help out! Hope you got this squared away!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #765 on: August 14, 2009, 04:46:37 am »
She's got small hands he he, easy for her to get both in there and rebuild the floats and bowls, plus good experience for her. ;)
Actually she was brought up on a farm so mechanics and vehicles are something she knows quite well, she wrote off her first car at I think 8 years old, her brothers prized go-cart, hit a power pole ha ha....he still hasn't forgiven her.
Can drive tractors and bulldozers as well, she hired a small one and flattened our back yard so we could put in a spa pool.
She used to steal his old morris 8 to go milk the cows in the mornings too, had no battery so she used to crash start it down a hill, she has had her bike licence (full) for about as long as me and owned quite a few bikes herself so she's not exactly lost around a bike.
Shame we didn't get to test her GSX today, I think she would ahve been impressed by its performance.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #766 on: August 14, 2009, 05:57:59 am »
That is a true gem of a woman!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #767 on: August 17, 2009, 12:36:33 am »
Dear diary: looking for a speedo that reads over 80 mph, thought i found one but seems the CB550 police bike had a single speedo that fitted into the headlight. :(

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #768 on: August 17, 2009, 03:45:46 am »
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CHROMED-SPEEDOMETER/GP_2008923_N_111+1980+200730429+600014720_10111.jcw

It doesn't match the white paint scheme of your bike or mount in the same way, but if all you are looking to do is see what you can push her up to this will work for that. I haven't used it, just did a quick search.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #769 on: August 17, 2009, 03:51:22 am »
Interesting Brandon but I'm really after one that will match the bike and I can leave on there as the original.
I've seen them on other bikes, they are slightly larger than the tacho and usually have a stop button so you can freeze them to record the speed of the guy you were chasing. ;D
Not sure why mine has a stock speedo, well it's obviously the genuine original bikes' speedo but many had the dual purpose one.....I'll keep looking cheers.......Hush.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #770 on: August 17, 2009, 06:39:12 am »
FINE, if you don't want the shiney speedo I found for you!!!  ;D  Seriously though, that other speedo sounds pretty cool. You might want to consider keeping yours though, could come in handy at traffic court. "Your honor, I'm not sure how I was clocked doing 150, since my bike is only capable of 80, see, the speedo shows as much!"  ;)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #771 on: August 17, 2009, 08:48:00 am »
I think '79 650 speedos from the states had the 120 mph gauge.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #772 on: August 17, 2009, 05:07:47 pm »
Dear diary: Don't tell Jaffa but the bike goes great again, no leaks no missing, tons of speed, what a hoot. ;D
Just put 30 miles on her for fun, loves hills and twisties even with all the crap I have strapped to her.
I've decided not to chase a new speedo for her, hey I hardly do over 70mph most of the time anyway and I know after today i can tap her out to touch the 80mph stop mark on the speedo.
If a really nice Police one falls into my hands I might still grab it for fun but I'm over chasing one just so I can say i know my bike can top the ton. :D

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #773 on: August 18, 2009, 03:37:47 pm »
I think '79 650 speedos from the states had the 120 mph gauge.

YUP!
Too bad mine has had the needle bend upwards and will not read the right speed anymore.

I too am stuck with one of the 80 mph marked ones....
My problem is I top out WAY past 80 too many times to NOT need a 120 speedo.
And my tack gets kinda erratic past 65-70, so I hope I don't rev her too high.....
I miss that rev limiter the dyna2000 had... :(

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Soos

• Master
« Reply #774 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
Glad to hear the 'ole girl is running right!
Those carb isolators helped?

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650