Author Topic: Phaedrus: CB750 RestoMod - Update: 09/23/21 w/ new video  (Read 855092 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 02/22/09- w/ new pics
« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:07 am »
I have those Lockhart Phillips aluminum bodied turn signals with clear lenses on my bike.  My complaint is that the amber bulbs in that size are not easy to find.  I bought mine off of e-bay, I think they were listed as V-max turn signals.  I pulled the bulbs out of mine and made LED boards for them, I will try and get a photo uploaded sometime.   
SNIP
Hopterfixer, I've always liked the look of your bike. And the clear lenses make the lamps disappear. I've searched and couldn't find the clear lenses (or the lamps themselves) of those older alloy bodied lamps.

So now I wonder if there are clear lenses for the Mini-Bullits.

PS: I just looked, they are available. Yeah.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:03:41 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2009, 10:20:23 am »
I have the Alloy lights with clear lenses on my bike and i need to replace the front pair since one of them the wires ripped out but i think thats due to the idiot mechanic that installed them for me...How much would you want for that set you have MC? are they the 3 or 2 wire lights? if anything i can always rebuild the ones on my bike if i got another pair of them cheep

Boy am I fickle. I'm running hot and cold on signal lights. My main decision was where to mount them, that was holding up my powdercoat. Now that I know I'll be happy with my mount points, I want to keep my options open on the lamps. So I'll be holding on to what i've got. Sorry.

I won't be finalizing the lamp choice till spring. Its a bit of a budget item. Do I drop almost $200 for Bullit lamps, lens and mounts, or just go with what I've got. Could be small OEMs on short stalks or the alloy Lockharts.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:47 am »
This isn't the best suggestion for type A people like me but if it's a $$ issue why not run OEM for the mean time then swap the bullits later?
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:09 am »
This isn't the best suggestion for type A people like me but if it's a $$ issue why not run OEM for the mean time then swap the bullits later?
After checking the budget this AM, that's what I'm looking at as its free, I have all the stuff from P 1. The Lockharts are the fall back.

If I hit the lottery in the next few months, then the bullits.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2009, 05:19:31 pm »
I have those Lockhart Phillips aluminum bodied turn signals with clear lenses on my bike.  My complaint is that the amber bulbs in that size are not easy to find.  I bought mine off of e-bay, I think they were listed as V-max turn signals.  I pulled the bulbs out of mine and made LED boards for them, I will try and get a photo uploaded sometime.   
SNIP
Hopterfixer, I've always liked the look of your bike. And the clear lenses make the lamps disappear. I've searched and couldn't find the clear lenses (or the lamps themselves) of those older alloy bodied lamps.

So now I wonder if there are clear lenses for the Mini-Bullits.

PS: I just looked, they are available. Yeah.

Thanks.  The signals look even better with a bundle of LED's hiding behind them.
Here is an Ebay listing for the ones I have, $36.00 for all four:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-V-Max-Star-Vmax-VStar-Virago-BILLET-TURN-SIGNALS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem330309467260QQitemZ330309467260QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories 

As I mentioned before, the amber bulbs are not common. I did find out they are a standard part on an ST1100 (I think), Honda dealers can get them.  I am looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:52 pm »
Those are nice! I wonder why the seller restricts his market to just some Ymahas? Those are universal fit I think.

Same as mine but the clear lenses make the difference.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2009, 05:48:13 pm »
I've been looking for those alloy Lockhart Phillips signals with clear lenses but haven't found any online.  Any good sources for them?
Joel, did you see the eBay listing Hopterfixer posted. Not official Lockhart Phillips perhaps (maybe they are) but pretty darned close.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2009, 05:50:51 pm »
They are universal, not sure they are LP, but they are clear coated aluminum bodies, running lights with turn signals.  I made a nylon bushing to fit them in the headlight ears, enlarged the grab bar holes for the rear. 

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #358 on: February 23, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »
They look pretty good.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #359 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »
Now I'm getting ideas about these. Any shots of their backs?
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2009, 08:30:27 pm »
Pretty much like this.
and this. But Hopter may have a better view.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:33:00 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:18 pm »
Thanks MCRider.

Those do look good and don't stick out like a sore thumb by any means.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:57 am »
Those ones are def LP...But as said Ecosse if you are looking at that brand make sure to go the lil bit extra and get the alloy ones. The voltage that these bikes put out overheats the bulb enough to melt the plastic lights. Unless you eliminate the parking light and just run the two wire version.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2009, 03:49:39 am »
I like the alloy but wonder if it can be polished enough to pass (a bit) for chrome- or at least not clash.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2009, 04:27:06 am »
I like the alloy but wonder if it can be polished enough to pass (a bit) for chrome- or at least not clash.
They have a satin brite finish with obvious clear coat on them. I think that if one sands or polishes off the clear and continues to polish they should get brighter. I haven't ttried.
Ride Safe:
Ron

fuzzybutt

« Reply #365 on: February 24, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »
Pretty much like this.
and this. But Hopter may have a better view.

i had those same ones on my k4. dont bump one too hard or the threaded portion WILL break.

Offline hopterfixer

• Hot Shot
    • My flickr Gallery->
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:48 pm »
The threaded portion is also aluminum, I cut the extra threads off of mine so the wires tucked better.

Front and rear views:

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »
Moving on: Spent the day inventorying parts to discover what's left to buy. Good activity while the cold dampers other activity. We got stalled last week on the front wheel, couldn't find the axle. I knew I had at least 3, and found them in about the 10th box we looked in. (Finally scored a next to new rear axle, washer, castle nut on eBay for $10. Third try, the others cost $1, and $8. My original one was in bad shape.) AS we looked we arranged and marked the boxes better than they already were to avoid any further roadblocks. Another search was for the rear fender, NOS K1 fender, bot in 1999. I couldn't remember if i had a bracket for a Tail Light.

I'm using the old style fender as my K2 fender had cracked from overloading the rack, and in replacing it decided to go with the shorter fender and smaller tail light.
I found the TL bracket which appears to be a K0. There are 3 holes, which on the fender would be for mounting bolts. But no place for wires! The K0 bracket I think only used 2 bolts for mounting and the top hole was for the wires. I can't tell for sure if its NOS or if I had found one and had it chromed. Since there are no packing materials, I must think its rescued from a parts bike, but it sure looks good.

I found a used rubber pad that goes between the bracket and fender. It also appears to be a K0, lending creedence to the thought the bracket is a re-chromed rescue. Where else would I have a gotten a used pad?

There are no bolt hold down marks on the top hole.

Had the old Chrome Lockhart oil cooler pressure tested. It failed, took a picture for posterity and threw it out.

Screwed the top bridge on the frame to make finally sure the tapered bearing stack was installed properly, way back in 2001. It was.

The finish has dulled to a satin, nothing a hit on the polishing wheel won't bring back.
The peg that juts out from the frame and holds the rear brake adjuster/stop bolt appears to be bent. Can anyone look on their K and see is this supposed to stick straight out from the frame or is the gentle curve proper?

I couldn't remember if i had a finned starter cover, and i found one in the search. So here's the grouping. I'm thinking of painting the areas between the gooves black.

Yamiya has some really trick chrome acorn head bolts to hold the starter cover on. I may have to have them. Speaking of Yamiya, I was directed to them earlier in the week whilst looking for the rubber pad in the Parts Wanted forum. They have it as well, so I may pop for a new one rather than making the old one above, work. And I need a K1 taillamp which they have, and clear lens as well, and also... geez, they've got nice stuff.
One actual piece of work I got done today, the tweak bar was never tapped. The machinist did pin it for precision fit.

Ace Hardware had 8x1.25 chrome allen head screws

so I tapped it and threaded them in. the center ones need to be shortened.

Come to find out my inner fender is pretty chewed up around the bolt holes where it connects to the chrome section. It wouldn't show, but I'd replace it if anyone has a good one for reasonable $$?
Other things we uncovered in today's search: Tommaseli 1/4 turn "High Speed Throttle"

and a new Dunstall Steering Damper, wrapped in a April 1980 Daily Mirror (London)

So, I'm gathering the pieces to assemble the rear end. Swingarm is still at Brown's for chroming, then to HondaMan for bushings. By the time it gets back, I should have the taillamp, etc and the rear end can go together. I hope to get the fork legs together in the next several weeks, then the front end.

And I forgot somewhere in there the frame goes to Saldanas for a few more touchups, then the powdercoaters.

Whew! Step by step.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:08:37 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 03/01/09- w/ new pics
« Reply #368 on: March 01, 2009, 03:26:21 pm »
I'll be putting some found parts in Classifieds for sale. New Mirrors, a set of 8 radially finned tappet covers and a set of 5? Don't know where the other 3 got off to. I couldn't use them on the intake side as they interfered with something, petcock, carbs, gas tank or something. Shock set-backs chrome and black. Some other things.

The rear brake pedal spindle. That the brake pedal goes to, i think some here have asked about them for rear sets? I have 1 extra. Maybe 2.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2009, 09:04:25 am »
Project is looking great man.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:56 am »
G'Day Ron, nice pics! I just took a look at a K2 frame I'm about to brace for Mick (Retro-Rocket) and the brake pedal stay bracket on it is dead straight, so I'm guessing your bracket has had a whack.

Geez that 1/4 turn throttle is cool, I've got one in a box here too, a guy found a heap of them a few years ago and sold them on EBay with the matching left hand grip for 25 bucks, and I had to have one! Not sure what I'll use it for, but it does look cool, ha ha!

I've got those finned covers on my 836cc engine in my K1, the casting is really poor quality, and even though I buffed them up then clearcoated them in in 2K clear, (which I'd recommend for your top triple and any other polished alloy parts, as it'll probably last longer than your bike) I still didn't like the look, so I painted them and I reckon they look much nicer now. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2009, 12:24:29 pm »
Terry, your mill looks great! Like the black cam cover.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2009, 02:02:31 pm »
G'Day Ron, nice pics! I just took a look at a K2 frame I'm about to brace for Mick (Retro-Rocket) and the brake pedal stay bracket on it is dead straight, so I'm guessing your bracket has had a whack.

Geez that 1/4 turn throttle is cool, I've got one in a box here too, a guy found a heap of them a few years ago and sold them on EBay with the matching left hand grip for 25 bucks, and I had to have one! Not sure what I'll use it for, but it does look cool, ha ha!

I've got those finned covers on my 836cc engine in my K1, the casting is really poor quality, and even though I buffed them up then clearcoated them in in 2K clear, (which I'd recommend for your top triple and any other polished alloy parts, as it'll probably last longer than your bike) I still didn't like the look, so I painted them and I reckon they look much nicer now. Cheers, Terry. ;D

snip
Brake stop: Thought so, nows the time to straighten it. I've fallen hard on both sides, (long time ago) had to replace both the brake and shifter pedals on this iteration as they were bent and road rashed.

1/4 turn: Yes I've got both grips as well. had one on my roadracer, WOT comes quick. Could be a little jerky for street use. I've got one for this build that hooks into the stock switch gear, uses both A and B cables, and uses the stock pipe throttle. I'll see how I like it.

Alum & fins: Thanks for the tips, I'll try them.
Regards!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:04:43 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2009, 02:28:03 pm »

Hey Terry,

Very nice engine you got there, looks as tidy as your workbench.............. ;D ;D ;D looks a lot like my garage from time to time.

Cheers, mate.

Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #374 on: March 03, 2009, 02:26:44 am »
Terry, your mill looks great! Like the black cam cover.

Thanks Bill, and the good thing is that almost 2 years after I took that pic it's still looking great! One small piece of advice though, if you use that wrinkle paint on your cam cover, use some old rocker inspection caps to mask the area underneath them, so that when you remove them, there's a nice smooth surface under the O rings of your good caps.

Not having used the stuff before I didn't, and mine (slightly) weep a little oil. Next time the engine's out, I'll re-do it. ;D

Hey Terry,

Very nice engine you got there, looks as tidy as your workbench.............. ;D ;D ;D looks a lot like my garage from time to time.

Cheers, mate.

[/quote]

Workbench? That's my kitchen table! Geez, if my French maid wasn't so damn hot, I'd fire that biatch! ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)