Author Topic: Phaedrus: CB750 RestoMod - Update: 09/23/21 w/ new video  (Read 855075 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 03/01/09- w/ new pics
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2009, 06:27:01 pm »
Got my parts back from Brown's today. Mirror, see your face in it, chrome swingarm and headlight ears. Pure vanity, form over function. I make no apologies.

Pictures tomorrow.

I won't be working in the shop this weekend, working for a living instead.

Many behind the scenes moves though, slight progress forward.

Later.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #376 on: March 07, 2009, 04:05:17 pm »
Brown's Chrome. Bling as the kids would say. I've checked it over and over, no flaws I can see. Anything that may look like a flaw is either a fingerprint or a shadow from the room.

No chrome in the pivot area, as requested. They assured me the shock bushings would survive without removal and they did.

I got a usable inner fender from a member here, and a taillight lamp from CRC2 so I'll want to mock up the rear end now to see if there is something I am missing. Then I'll send the swingarm to HondaMan for bushings, while I wait for a misc parts order from Yamiya. Various hardware, taillight pad, I think I'll get their taillight lamp as the CRC2 one is a little chincy. I'll use it on the next cafe racer project which will be a cosmetic Rat bike. Other stuff from Yamiya TBD. But this weekend no more time in the shop.   :(

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:08:59 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #377 on: March 07, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »
Spent an hour at Cycle ReCycle Part II (CRC2.com). I've known of this place in downtown Indy since it opened 30+ years ago. There is a CRC Part I (the original) about 1/2 block down the street. Not as well developed. A break up between brothers I think. Nevertheless CRC2 is where the action is. Its in a very old boarded up brick building in a bad part of town though there's been some renovation lately. Years ago I got upstairs, but i was chased away this time, customers no longer allowed, floor is giving way.

Stairs is now lined with frames, I know what was up there and the mechanic told me its much worse now. Forks were lined up down one wall at least 50' maybe more. Gas tanks laying around like a punpkin patch except they were stacked upon each other and you couldn't get to the one you wanted without clearing a path of tens, maybe hundreds.

At the retail level, things hanging from the ceiling, forks and swingarms standing on end, very scary.

I wanted to look for the rubber taillight pad. Here's one of 5 boxes I rooted through. He said if I could find it I could have it.  I didn't find it.

he was real busy, in control of every conversation, does not suffer fools lightly, but sends everyone out with a smile.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:23:54 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 03/07/09- w/ new pics
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2009, 04:53:54 pm »
I'm a convert! I didn't care one way or another for chrome swing arms. Looking at yours changed my mind. Nice work!

CR owner sounds like some old timers I've worked for.  ;D I miss places like that around here.

Impressive/frightening place! I take it you recommend CRC2?
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »
I'm a convert! I didn't care one way or another for chrome swing arms. Looking at yours changed my mind. Nice work!

CR owner sounds like some old timers I've worked for.  ;D I miss places like that around here.

Impressive/frightening place! I take it you recommend CRC2?
Thanks. Phaedrus I had a chrome swingarm, though after 29 years the finish was dull and damaged. (same swingarm) I don't think it was this nice though when it was done back when. Purely a vanity thing. And I'll admit, this is a vanity bike. Always got comments, and i want that again.

Rob at CRC2 is an odd duck. Many people here have dealt with him via correspondence and in person and I haven't heard anything bad. I think at this point he's doing as much business with aftermarket new parts as the salvage. New Short Shocks and MAC pipes are huge for him. And many people have built and rebuilt whole bikes out of salvage. many examples on his website.

But its just too overwhelming for me now. I like to see things one at a time, and deliberate over them. Once the season gets here, he has a line out the door, and its just not me. So eBay and online catalogues are better for me.

But he has established a permanent presence in the annals of motorcycle Americana.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #380 on: March 07, 2009, 10:54:46 pm »
Brown's Chrome. Bling as the kids would say. I've checked it over and over, no flaws I can see. Anything that may look like a flaw is either a fingerprint or a shadow from the room.

ARGH!  MY EYES!!  I'M BLIND!!!

<staggers off in shock>

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

fuzzybutt

« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2009, 11:39:14 pm »
prettier than any piece of jewelry i've ever seen

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #382 on: March 08, 2009, 12:56:24 am »
That's a beautiful K0 swingarm Ron, I was degreasing a spare K2 swinger today with the intent of getting it powder coated, then I thought, "Fcuk it, it'd look much better chromed", so I'll get it done this week, I had one on my old K1, so I think it's time to get another one done.

It's kinda sad that the world has moved on, when I rebuilt my first K1 (when I was 20) I was able to buy a chromed and re-bushed swingarm over the counter on an exchange basis from a custom bike shop in Sydney, where I was posted at the time. Those sorts of things aren't available any more, unless you ride a Harley, which is good for Harley folks, but crap for everyone else.

The same goes for motorcycle wreckers. We used to have shops here like "Cycle Re Cycle", but most have gone the way of the Dodo, because instead of embracing EBay, and making it work for them  like CRC did, they ignored it, instead holding out for the maximum return, and consequently, they failed.

I've got a friend with a shop much like CRC here, just as much of an "Occupational Health and Safety" nightmare too, but Jeff (the owner) is doing more repairs now than wrecking, and in time he'll get rid of his used spares too. Oh well. Keep up the good work mate, your bike is definitely going to be a head turner! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

fuzzybutt

« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2009, 01:07:19 am »
do you mind my asking how much it cost you to get that swingarm done?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2009, 07:06:54 am »
do you mind my asking how much it cost you to get that swingarm done?
Terry: Interesting comments, thanks. Intersting you can identify my swingarm as K0. I wouldn't know the difference. Oribginally a K2, I've changed so many things over the years, I guess its a K0.   :D
Fuzzy: They have a well laid out on-line price catalog for virtually all popular models. CB750 Swingarm is $239 less a 10% Internet discount if you ask for it, which I did. $215.

Stings at first, but after a week or so it'll just blend into the total project cost.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2009, 11:59:50 am »
Looking great man. Did you post a link to the chromer before if not can you?
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2009, 12:19:16 pm »
Looking great man. Did you post a link to the chromer before if not can you?

Yes but I'll post it again  www.brownsplating.com/chrome_direct.php  I actually got the lead here. But once I looked into it I remembered I had heard of them before. top of the line, 85,000sf plant. Al little pricey but I'm more confident they are taking care of the environment than the local downtown hole in the wall shops.

Though I'm sure there are good local shops, I wanted to give these guys a chance.

My experience locally had always been bad. Long waits, poor quality, poor service, etc.

I had a part in my batch from another forum member. The gas cap thumblatch. It broke during the plating process. Ronnie Brown the owner called me and apolgized all over.

I think it is just poor, porous casting that popped upon touch. Couldn't be helped, I think.

Anyway, we have it in writing that Brown's will buy him another one, whether or not he decides to have it plated.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #387 on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:28 pm »
G'Day Ron, the K0 swingarm ID is easy, that little bracket with the loop for the chain guard thru bolt near the axle slot is the giveaway.

From memory, Brown's plating has always been a big motorcycle cuctom chrome shop, I can remember seeing ads for Brown's plating on the back cover of the old "Iron Horse" magazines when they used to feature Japanese custom bikes, remember that? They always had a good name, and did a lot of work for America's best bike customisers, so I don't think you could go wrong if you sent your stuff there.

I'm lucky here, "Preston Plate", one of Oz's best chromers is just one suburb over from my place, and I've got a couple of things to take over there, they even do a very good job on aluminum and pot metal, they managed to chrome my OEM blinker bodies and fuel cap assembly on my CB350F in 1996 and I saw that bike only a couple of years ago and it still looked good then. I degreased my swingarm on the weekend (what a horrible job that was!) so I just need to strip the paint off, and if I get a chance I'll drop it off this week. Hopefully, it'll look as beautiful as yours! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline De La Nooch

« Reply #388 on: March 11, 2009, 03:30:31 pm »
Spent an hour at Cycle ReCycle Part II (CRC2.com). I've known of this place in downtown Indy since it opened 30+ years ago. There is a CRC Part I (the original) about 1/2 block down the street. Not as well developed. A break up between brothers I think. Nevertheless CRC2 is where the action is. Its in a very old boarded up brick building in a bad part of town though there's been some renovation lately. Years ago I got upstairs, but i was chased away this time, customers no longer allowed, floor is giving way.

Stairs is now lined with frames, I know what was up there and the mechanic told me its much worse now. Forks were lined up down one wall at least 50' maybe more. Gas tanks laying around like a punpkin patch except they were stacked upon each other and you couldn't get to the one you wanted without clearing a path of tens, maybe hundreds.

At the retail level, things hanging from the ceiling, forks and swingarms standing on end, very scary.

I wanted to look for the rubber taillight pad. Here's one of 5 boxes I rooted through. He said if I could find it I could have it.  I didn't find it.

he was real busy, in control of every conversation, does not suffer fools lightly, but sends everyone out with a smile.

Thought those pics looked familiar! I was in there on Saturday as well! Rob probably knows more than any one man should know about motorcycles, but you're right: he does lack a bit of patience. Saturday's weather must have had him in a good mood, because he chatted with me a lot more than usual...
-Jordan
1975 CB550K.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #389 on: March 11, 2009, 03:44:08 pm »

does not suffer fools lightly, but sends everyone out with a smile.

Your not kidding about that one :o.  I had to learn years ago to shut my trap and listen whenever he was giving me advise.  I made the mistake of cutting him off once and I felt like crying :'( ;).

I live a couple miles east of CRC2 and it's always nice to have a good source of parts (if you can find them amidst the heaps).

Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #390 on: March 11, 2009, 03:59:36 pm »

does not suffer fools lightly, but sends everyone out with a smile.

Your not kidding about that one :o.  I had to learn years ago to shut my trap and listen whenever he was giving me advise.  I made the mistake of cutting him off once and I felt like crying :'( ;).

I live a couple miles east of CRC2 and it's always nice to have a good source of parts (if you can find them amidst the heaps).

Joe

Tee Hee, I'm glad its not just me. I heard him dress down at least 3 customers while I was there...and they all bought something!  And thanked him for the help!  He's too young to be such an old codger.   :o I was able to stay out of his way, but it was close.   :D

Don't hold me to it, but if I ever finish this project I'm thinking of having a party. Fellow Hoosiers for sure, anyone else that can make the trip.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:01:39 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #391 on: March 11, 2009, 04:58:49 pm »
I'm game... As long as you don't mind me riding a Triumph over  :D  My poor 650's are in pieces at the moment  :'(  My wife still can't figure out how I have 3 CB650's and every single one is in pieces  ::)

later.... Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2009, 05:11:28 pm »
I'm game... As long as you don't mind me riding a Triumph over  :D  My poor 650's are in pieces at the moment  :'(  My wife still can't figure out how I have 3 CB650's and every single one is in pieces  ::)

later.... Joe

Any physicist will tell you that in a closed system, entropy (or randomness, or chaos) always increases over time.  So, avoid a closed system by injecting new bikes and parts from time to time.  Explain to the wife that you're just following the Laws of Thermodynamics.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #393 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »

later.... Joe

Any physicist will tell you that in a closed system, entropy (or randomness, or chaos) always increases over time.  So, avoid a closed system by injecting new bikes and parts from time to time.  Explain to the wife that you're just following the Laws of Thermodynamics.

mystic_1

Assuming it happens...all models welcome!

And I try to keep an open system myself. Fruit and Bran.

TMI?
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #394 on: March 11, 2009, 07:53:34 pm »

mystic_1

Proper Thermodynamics would never work in my home.... what I really need is someone to come over to my house and haul away an '81 GL1100 and an '82 Virago 920 from my garage.   That would allow me the proper room for the injection of "new" motorcycle parts.

Less of a conservation of energy and more of an exchange  ;)

cheers...Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #395 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:39 pm »
By the way... Superb build !!!  I need to re-read through the thread for the local shop that was doing the powder-coating for you. 

cheers...Joe

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #396 on: March 11, 2009, 08:55:42 pm »
By the way... Superb build !!!  I need to re-read through the thread for the local shop that was doing the powder-coating for you. 

cheers...Joe

Thanks. Well I've kinda interviewed Indy Powder Coating down on 1201 Main Street in Speedway, 2 blocks north of the Allison Transmission Plant, they are perfectly capable of doing anything one could throw at them. They do all the production work for Vance/Hines which is now located in Brownsburg IN. All their exhaust pipes (Ceramic coated) the ones that aren't chrome. Seems the Ceramic coatings are gaining favor. Hundreds of colors. Reasonable prices. I was going to use them, but somehow I just didn't get a good vibe, and I've been subconsciously delaying the work. I did have them do my exhaust collars in black ceramic and had them bead blast a spare 305cc engine so i could see what that was all about. The invoice came baclk at less than the estimate so that always good.

Anyway at CRC2 the other day, Rob had brochures on the counter for Industrial Coating Services, at 1102 W 16th Street, about 1/2 mile or less east of Martin Luther King on 16th. I've been by there many times and didn't put it together. The brochure was very attractive and I think I'll go poke around. Another huge place capable of anything. Bragging on state of the art environmentally friendly equipment.

Both places emphasize motorcycles. No part too small.  Along with hot rods, cars, trucks, and domestic ornamentals. (patio tables, etc.) Both claim Best in Mid-West.  It'll likely boil down to who's got my color. A true gold metallic is what I want.  And price.

Then, I don't want Rob climbing all over me for going somewhere he didn't recommend.  ;)
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #397 on: March 13, 2009, 03:35:40 pm »
Just received my double wide, custom made motor mount and bolt from SOHC4 member Rob at Voxonda.

Some of his parts are here: http://www.voxonda.com/index.php?page=shop

pictures this weekend.

Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #398 on: March 15, 2009, 05:30:24 pm »
Only got a few hours in. Work is peaking, this is probably the last weekend, I'll have to work (at a job). had the bikes on the charger all week, started 2 of the 3 that are runners. Searched for parts I know I'll be needing. The parts for my air forks were in 2 different places, but together now. I made this set up in 1980. Drilled the fork caps, threaded in the fittings, mounted the brass T in a bracket that goes between the handlebar clamps on the gas tank side. Tubing is from automotive air shocks, all done with compression fittings. Used successfully for many years. Ran about 5lbs psi, made for a more compliant ride, more progressivity on brake dive. At least my SOTP says so.

I'll be refurbishingthe parts with new tubing, a little polish, a new bracket, etc.

I found these storebought ones as well. Black anodized aluminum. The fittings come out the sides. They have barbs to fit an equalizer tube.

I would like to sell them: $35 and $4.95 USPS Priority. These are also listed at Classifieds.

Here's the HD motor mount I got from forum member Rob at Voxonda.

Way cool.

I have this obsession now, along with the frame gussets, to tighten up the motor mounting. I think I first read it in something HondaMan had written, and also, Rob. (apologies if it was someone else) My front removable mount is now way stiffer as it is an integral part of the Right side engine guard. Also, the 2 8mm through bolts are now 10mm and thread directly into the frame with at least 10 turns.  And now Rob's Mount and handmade bolt.

Rob also has HD front removable mounts. I'll likely use one on my rat cafe racer next.

Rob's part is unfinished at my request. Also, is interference fit. Now I have to decide, chrome or frame color powdercoat. Decision will determine how much to take off the frame lugs.

I'm thinking of having the 2 under engine mount bolts turned special to be interference fit into the frame.

Started assembling the rear end for its first mockup. I want to assemble the wheel/fender/TL/rack/seat to see what I'll be needing to finish it. Didn't get far enough for pictures.

Check the classified for things for sale. 2 sets of shock set backs, air caps, mirrors.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:38:13 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 03/15/09- w/ new pics
« Reply #399 on: March 16, 2009, 05:24:12 am »
On my first try with the air caps, I drilled out the cap and inserted from the bottom, automotive wheel style rubber fillers. Used at a road race, all good. Then, after the race,  when wheeling around in the backfield, I dropped into a deep hole and one of the rubber fillers blew out of the fork cap and drenched me in fork oil.

Even though you start with 5psi, when the forks compress to near bottoming the psi goes through the roof.  Evidently.   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron