Author Topic: Phaedrus: CB750 RestoMod - Update: 09/23/21 w/ new video  (Read 855232 times)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 06/07/09- w new pics
« Reply #525 on: June 10, 2009, 09:15:18 am »
if this yearling can butt in; this sort of thing (origin of parts made, when, and in what number, vehicle production#) rarely ever was the source of mystery within the car enthusiast ranks. when i was involved with american cars of the 60's/70's there was almost always someone with documentation regardless of rarity.

if you guys are scratchin' your heads... wow, sounds like honda dropped the documentation ball on this one! ok, part of the fun is unraveling a mystery anyway.  ;D

ok, back to the kid's table i go.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #526 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:11 pm »
Wow!!!!....been checking in on this thread for awhile now and starting to realize you are truly doing it up anal style piece by piece. If it is to be a totally sweet lookin' bike...thats the way to do it.Don't let time stand in your way.
I love the frame color and can't wait to see the final product!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2009, 04:51:41 am »
Wow!!!!....been checking in on this thread for awhile now and starting to realize you are truly doing it up anal style piece by piece. If it is to be a totally sweet lookin' bike...thats the way to do it.Don't let time stand in your way.
I love the frame color and can't wait to see the final product!!!
Thanks. Yeah, I've been planning this since i built Phaedrus I in 1980. I knew how many things I had skipped and left out of that build.

I've got a rider so I can take my time.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2009, 07:12:39 am »
In my 'replica' I found that, although the legs are virtually identical, the cast piece in one leg where the 6 mm adjusting bolt for the caliper alignment is going thru, is off center about 5-6 mm. So I need a longer bolt. In my memory this was never the case. Am I getting old or missing something?

Rob

No Rob, that's normal, the standard right leg isn't the exact reverse of the left. I've "twin disced" several CB750's over the years and that's just a normal consideration. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #529 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:11 am »
Thanks Terry,

Been a long time since I wrenched the old forks. Usely I use the F2 or DOHC 'tuned-in' forks. Makes a much stiffer combo with some modifications. But wanted to make my replica even more period like.

Cheers, Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #530 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:17 am »
Another productive day, some indirect, some direct. My wife is retiring from riding (she's done this before) so we are selling the Burgman. I've been doing last minute maintenance to get it sold. But a quick trip to the dealer yesterday and they made us a good offer sight unseen, so I'll just button it up and move it out. Wifer said half the money goes to things she wants around the house, half to the Phaedrus project. It was all her savings to begin with, so I'm a happy man. I'll have more room in the shop till she wants back in again. Then we can buy something more modern...the 2007+ Burgmans are much improved.  :D

Should've taken the picture when i had the body and the tranny cover off.

So that took 1.5 hours to finish up. Did most of it on Thursday night.

So now, looking around for parts I ran across this metal CB750 chainguard that has been notched for a wider tire. Anybody need such an animal? $10 + S&H finish is a little bad, but some TLC would bring it around.

So I'm rolling the wheels out of storage and it occurred to me to check for an answer to a question I've had. I want to fit a fork brace. But the early CB750 fork legs were shorter than the top of the 19" tire. So the brace had to have a high arch and they are rare to come by. Bigfootball found one at Telefix for his great Cafe. Looking at my 17" wheel the fork leg is just barely higher than the tire. So i think I'll have Saldana make me one that grabs the groove where the dust cover goes and has a much smaller arch, which can double as the fender mount. Then, cut the tops off some spare legs I've got and weld them to the top of the brace to fix the dust covers. (that's the way the Telefix works as well)

Ace Hardware is carrying chrome metric hardware, so i got what i needed for the top bridge, bolts, washers, and acorn nuts. I'll have to cut the bolts shorter, ACE doesn't have a real good selection of lengths, but I've gotten pretty good with the cutoff wheels on the Dremel. The cap nuts will cover the wound.

So now we're down to business, mocking up the rear wheel, all new hardware and refinished covers. But the shocks weren't fitting the frame lugs well. I had forgotten to tell the powdercoaters to mask them off. He did say if I needed to remove any powder, a grinder will work better than sanding. So we used a Dremel and ground off the powder.

Got the shocks to fit real well, slide on and off, perfectly in line with swingarm below.

Mocked up the wheel, axle, spacers etc. Lookin pretty good.

My one purchase from Carpy...had to have that finned wheel spacer.

That's a 140/70-17 tire on a 3.50 wide rim. The wide rim makes the tire work. I've had the brake stay moved out to accommodate a 150, but I'm pretty happy with the 140.

I don't want too much rubber on the ground or I won't get the kind of wheelspin I like coming off a light.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Next week we'll move to finishing up the wheel and going for the fender, inner, taillight assembly.  Hopefully close the deal on the Burgman.

Order some parts, I'm missing some washers, etc. all to slow me down. Put together a box for Cryo of indiana. Want to send the rr sprocket to Cryo, a few things like that this week.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:19:26 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 06/14/09- w new pics
« Reply #531 on: June 17, 2009, 06:40:20 am »
Interesting observation. This thread has had 500+ hits since June 12th without a single comment. Either everyone is completely burned out on my project... or you're all just speechless!   ;D  Its the depth of my ego that makes me lean towards #2.  Its been a lot of fun, and expectation.

I've been trying to move forward but at times I hit roadblocks. I need a magnaflux operation in Indy to check some parts, esp primary chains, before having them cryo'd. Internet searches and phone calls reveal only a few really big operations with minimums and not much interest in my project.

I found this place http://www.stewartengines.com/  which looks promising. They are on the storied Gasoline Alley. This is a strip of road just south of the Indpls Motor Speedway where all the "500" car owners used to have shops. Its hay day was the 50s and 60s. There just wasn't enough geography down there to allow for growth and those teams all moved out to bigger digs in Brownsburg and surrounding areas. So now there's a bunch of smaller boutique shops.

Stewarts advertised magnafluxing for cranks. I called them and they send that work out, but they said bring my stuff down and they'll send it out for me. They seemed cooperative and that's what i'm looking for. So primary chains, rocker arms, get checked, then they go with new HD cam chain, rocker stands, tranny, sprockets, fork lower legs, etc, go to cryo. This is probably a 2-3 week affair. While there is some improving strength issues with the cryo treatment, on many pieces I'm interested in the super slick, friction reducing properties of cryo treating. Could pick up some free horspower with a slick tranny, chains and sprockets.

In the mean time, we can mock up and maybe complete the rest of the rear end and get a good start on the fork. Its going to be a short session on Saturday as Sunday is Father's Day and family issues rule.

Hope to get the Burgie down to the dealer on Friday to close the deal and pump up the Treasury as its getting depleted and will seriously affect progress otherwise.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:42:37 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #532 on: June 17, 2009, 07:36:40 am »
Interesting observation. This thread has had 500+ hits since June 12th without a single comment. Either everyone is completely burned out on my project... or you're all just speechless!   ;D 

After seeing the quality of that chrome on your swingarm during the rebuild, I'm in the 'speechless' category, myself!  :o
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #533 on: June 17, 2009, 07:47:28 am »
Yeah....honestly I don't have anything else to say.  It looks like you have complete command of what you want to do and are going about it with master form!  I am going to be powder coating my frame gold like yours and now that I see what it is going to look like I am just frothing at the mouth to get it done.  Your build is easily my favorite right now!  Top notch work!
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #534 on: June 17, 2009, 08:03:47 am »
Yeah....honestly I don't have anything else to say.  It looks like you have complete command of what you want to do and are going about it with master form!  I am going to be powder coating my frame gold like yours and now that I see what it is going to look like I am just frothing at the mouth to get it done.  Your build is easily my favorite right now!  Top notch work!

Shucks. Thanks, its been fun, and a long time coming.

Its a shame you can't really see the metallic in the powdercoat in the dim light. I didn't even know that could be done. But its pretty much like paint. Its a silver metallic base with a candy gold topcoat.

Good luck with yours!
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #535 on: June 17, 2009, 08:14:05 am »
I've been watching for awhile now, but don't have anything to add, really, just watching to see how it's done. 
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2009, 11:44:04 am »
been too busy getting the drool out of my beard to reply  ;D fantastic looking project. i cant wait to see it done.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:32 am »
I goofed, I really didn't mean to sound like I was trolling for comments, but that's how it came off.

Thanks to those who have, and feel free to return to lurk mode.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #538 on: June 17, 2009, 12:08:10 pm »
first, i must say that it is a time of reflection when hondaman changes his avatar. so this is what you look like in your night job? funny, i would think the cape would either catch in your chain or cause too much drag.  ;D

mc, i'm struck how "show bike" your p2 looks (that's a compliment) yet this will see road duty.  8) i dunno if i asked but is your rear sprocket aluminum? i have wondered about the service life of those and thought cryo might be a good solution.

btw: awesome wife ya got.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:10:37 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #539 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15:53 pm »
Ron, I am speechless, lol.  Btw, I knew those wheels would look sweet on there but not that sweet.  WoW.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:34 pm »
first, i must say that it is a time of reflection when hondaman changes his avatar. so this is what you look like in your night job? funny, i would think the cape would either catch in your chain or cause too much drag.  ;D

mc, i'm struck how "show bike" your p2 looks (that's a compliment) yet this will see road duty.  8) i dunno if i asked but is your rear sprocket aluminum? i have wondered about the service life of those and thought cryo might be a good solution.

btw: awesome wife ya got.
Re: the cape. He could catch it in a mill or lathe too, yikes!

Re: show bike: Thanks, I didn't even wipe the fingerprints off! It will definitely see road duty, i've got some mental trips planned. No multiweek like P1, but multinight overnights for sure. And I'd like to get it to the drag strip at least till I turn a decent time or 2. Anything sub-12.50, (with the luggage rack on) would be better than anything I've done, I think it can do that. And to a dyno.

No just a new stock OEM 48T steel sprocket. But I am going to cryo it not only for longevity but its supposed to make it slickery too, free horsepower.

I'd like to get an aluminum one for the cafe i hope to build, and Cryo makes aluminum a lot more appealing. Thanks for that tip. Cheap fun.

Yup, 25 years and the wifes a keeper.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #541 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:52 pm »
Ron, I am speechless, lol.  Btw, I knew those wheels would look sweet on there but not that sweet.  WoW.

Thanks, yeah its coming together nice.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
Next time you talk to your cryo guy ask if anodizing alloy should be done before or after cryo. Or not at all.

I'm interested in our earlier conversations about it and couldn't find the thread to unbury.

You bike has turned out absolutely stunning!!
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #543 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:23 pm »
Next time you talk to your cryo guy ask if anodizing alloy should be done before or after cryo. Or not at all.

I'm interested in our earlier conversations about it and couldn't find the thread to unbury.

You bike has turned out absolutely stunning!!

Will do, I don't remember the conversation. he did emphasize repeatedly to always cryo first machine second. He gave me the reason but i forget. May apply to anodize too, but I'll find out.

Thanks!
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #544 on: June 17, 2009, 01:49:59 pm »
We were talking about having o-ring chains cryoed.

And I said I could ship them directly to him for you.

Anywho again the bike is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. I'm jealous mine is still in boxes.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #545 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:21 pm »
first, i must say that it is a time of reflection when hondaman changes his avatar. so this is what you look like in your night job? funny, i would think the cape would either catch in your chain or cause too much drag.  ;D

What a hoot! Someone sent me that and thought I should try it out.  ;D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #546 on: June 17, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »
Good call on the acorn nuts, Ron.  I'm doing a similar setup myself but I'm replacing the bolts with ones I've made up with threaded rod JB welded to matching acorn nuts, so there's an acorn on both sides.

Bike look gorgeous.  I must admit you're one of my sources of inspiration to work on mine harder.  I'm trying to match your 5 hours a week schedule :)

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #547 on: June 17, 2009, 06:16:00 pm »
We were talking about having o-ring chains cryoed.

And I said I could ship them directly to him for you.

Anywho again the bike is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. I'm jealous mine is still in boxes.
Ah yes I remember. The answer on the chain was they do them but they require special handling so the Orings don't shatter.

I'm still a ways off from buying a chain, but we'll talk.

Thanks for the compliment!
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20:05 pm »
Good call on the acorn nuts, Ron.  I'm doing a similar setup myself but I'm replacing the bolts with ones I've made up with threaded rod JB welded to matching acorn nuts, so there's an acorn on both sides.

Bike look gorgeous.  I must admit you're one of my sources of inspiration to work on mine harder.  I'm trying to match your 5 hours a week schedule :)

mystic_1

Dang now that is a good idea. I may have to do that!

The 5 hours a week simply wouldn't have been possible at other times in my life. And it does cut into riding time. But if i don't do it, the years will get away from me and I'll never accomplish anything.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #549 on: June 21, 2009, 08:44:47 pm »
Made a little headway, but it was Father's DAy and domestic chores weekend.  Mounted the rear pegs. Easy job, hardest thing was finding them. "O Ring" pegs. The lugs that would ordinarily be part of the clamp-on affair, I had welded to the frame. The original triangle that mounted the pipes and the pegs I had raised. We were using a clamp on peg on Phaedrus 1 that was a few inches higher than the stock position. Linda liked them a little higher and they cleared the saddlebags better. So I incorporated that position into a fixed position.

I had the lug welded on at an angle so the peg when folded up was at the angle of the rearward sloping frametube. The tab hanging down is for the muffler hanger.

USed nylon washers on the pivot bolt to offer some friction in the up position. The nut is a nylock so it doesn't have to be cranked down to stay put.

Looked at installing the inner fender. Determined that it is best done with the swingarm out, so it will have to wait. Needs a crack repair anyway. Got one from a member here, much better shape than the one I had, but it still has a crack in one of the wings. After cleaning, I put the hairdryer on it low temp for 15 minutes and if went from concrete to very flexible.

Put a small clamp on it and it is perfectly lined up for some glue. You can see the crack extending to the right and left of the clamp.

Lots of things left undone last week. Hope to bear down harder this week.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:49:32 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron