Author Topic: Phaedrus: CB750 RestoMod - Update: 09/23/21 w/ new video  (Read 855237 times)

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 06/14/09- w new pics
« Reply #550 on: June 21, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »
Once again....attention to detail.  A lot of people would have never thought about lining up the pegs with the frame tubing.  It's those little details that will make this an unbelievable machine.  Brand new showroom bikes will not look as good as yours.
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #551 on: June 21, 2009, 10:00:38 pm »
i'm with dollarbill. subtle details add up to a superior result every time.

are those 'o' rings on the foot pegs replaceable?

i'm just saying this now: your picture taking isn't through when p2 is. i hope you takes a bunch of picturesque pictures (nice angles and backgrounds) because when this is together for the last time it'll be a feast for the eyes. 
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #552 on: June 21, 2009, 11:14:49 pm »

Yes they are. Drag Specialties used to make these by the TON!!!

I still have a few unopened sets.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #553 on: June 22, 2009, 05:38:13 am »
i'm with dollarbill. subtle details add up to a superior result every time.

i'm just saying this now: your picture taking isn't through when p2 is. i hope you takes a bunch of picturesque pictures (nice angles and backgrounds) because when this is together for the last time it'll be a feast for the eyes. 

Thanks Dollarbill. THe problem with this detail thing is I know the dozen or so "details" I have blown and I'm trying to just foirget about them.

Ecosse: Yeah I'm not sure how stout the ORing set up is. THe plan is to do some 2 up riding. If they wear quickly, I can just swap them with a stouter plainer peg as many styles will fit on that lug. USe the ORing style for show.

The Missus and I hope to get out to some overnight destinations, the Covered Bridge where we first met, Overlook on the Ohio RIver etc. We'll be snapping photos.   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #554 on: June 22, 2009, 05:50:48 am »

Yes they are. Drag Specialties used to make these by the TON!!!

I still have a few unopened sets.

That's good to know. I guess the ORings would wear or twist and turn, or some such? Mine are BikeMaster brand, but I'd bet they are all the same and rebadged to whoever sells them.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/4258/ITEM/Bikemaster-O-ring-Footpegs.aspx

The review claims the ORings appear loose and possible prone to rolling. Mine appear pretty stout, so we'll see.

Bikemaster has other styles I can substitute but for now I like the look and it will carry to the finned tappet covers and engine covers.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #555 on: June 22, 2009, 07:13:43 am »
MC: a tip I learned from some bodywork boys:
On plastic, when "repairing" a crack. go to the ends of the crack (and just a hair further) and drill a tiny "stop hole" to prevent more crack travel, later. Mechanically, it destresses the leading edge of a crack. This is very commonly done on sheet metal assemblies I've seen, make sense for plastic too, I guess.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #556 on: June 22, 2009, 07:40:24 am »
MC: a tip I learned from some bodywork boys:
On plastic, when "repairing" a crack. go to the ends of the crack (and just a hair further) and drill a tiny "stop hole" to prevent more crack travel, later. Mechanically, it destresses the leading edge of a crack. This is very commonly done on sheet metal assemblies I've seen, make sense for plastic too, I guess.
I can picture that, will do. Thanks!

And I wonder if PVC plumbers cement would mend that crack? I know there have been many good suggestions here for mending cracks, but I have that cement already and it ususally dries out if not used. I'll try some on the original inner fender if I can find it.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline DavePhipps

• Expert
  • Reading the entire Hi-Perf forum
    • Hillside Technology
« Reply #557 on: June 22, 2009, 08:42:07 am »
This is what most people from the FZRArchives and FZRonline use.
http://plastex.home.att.net/

From what I've heard it's great stuff
Bikes:
90 FZR600 RA
74 CB550k
78 GL1000
72 CB500K

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #558 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:30 am »
About the pegs...

If they are old or of cheap quality, the rings will start to spin and lay across the grooves. Because they aren't set in the peg far enough to hold their position, they will occasionally move out of place.

It happens more on highway pegs than on passenger but eventually.... well you get the idea.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #559 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:50 am »
The Missus and I hope to get out to some overnight destinations, the Covered Bridge where we first met, Overlook on the Ohio RIver etc. We'll be snapping photos.   :D

between bill440 meeting his better half while both cruising in their respective road runners (so jealous) and you meeting yours... at a covered bridge (no less!), i think answering a child's question "where did you and mom meet?" with "at some dive down town" or "at a stag when she popped outta the cake" just became that much more sub par.

lucky ________'s.  >:(  ;)
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #560 on: June 22, 2009, 10:59:20 am »

between bill440 meeting his better half while both cruising in their respective road runners (so jealous) and you meeting yours... at a covered bridge (no less!), i think answering a child's question "where did you and mom meet?" with "at some dive down town" or "at a stag when she popped outta the cake" just became that much more sub par.

lucky ________'s.  >:(  ;)

Well that's not quite right. It was a blind date to the covered bridge festival, on motorcycles with buddies and their wives. We actually met at a friends house, put on our helmets, rode for an hour to the first bridge. The bridge is where we first parked and got to talk, so that's where we "met". The day lasted about 10 hours, about 250 miles on the bike.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #561 on: June 22, 2009, 11:00:57 am »
About the pegs...

If they are old or of cheap quality, the rings will start to spin and lay across the grooves. Because they aren't set in the peg far enough to hold their position, they will occasionally move out of place.

It happens more on highway pegs than on passenger but eventually.... well you get the idea.

I can see where if someone has "happy feet" the O Rings will give it up. But I have options. Thanks.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #562 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:50 am »
This is what most people from the FZRArchives and FZRonline use.
http://plastex.home.att.net/

From what I've heard it's great stuff

That looks like good stuff, and reasonably priced. But I'll just use so little...

I'll experiemtn with the PVC cement and report back, as I already own some.

Your name seems famiiar. Did you ever belong to the MSTA (formerly HSTA)?
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #563 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:18 pm »
On the tip from HondaMan I drilled a hole at the ends of the crack.

Clamped and glued with some testors airplane glue I found. My PVC cement was dried up. My super glue was dried up. Don't know why I would have an unopened tube of Testors model cement but there it was. Seems to be holding well, with only a partial repair. I'll remove the clamp and finish gluing both sides.

I buffed the holes down with the Dremel so they were virtually unnoticable. I think that project is done.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:31:54 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

rjavocado

Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 11/30/08 - w/new pics
« Reply #564 on: June 23, 2009, 06:20:30 pm »
Part of my styling theme is the "ridges" or finned look. The rear pegs are "O-ring" type, the axle spacer is finned, the brake stay is fiinned, the black shock springs on the chrome body carry the look, the engine covers are all finned and my personal jewel is the "unobtanium" Henry Abe finned tappet covers.

I hope this post doesn't constitute board spamming, but you referred to Henry Abe finned tappet covers as "unobtanium," and I thought you and your fellow builders might like to know that I have a set for sale on ebay. They're brand new, in the original pack. Just search for "NOS Tappet Covers for Honda CB750". I tried to post them in the appropriate area of the board, but the link doesn't exist, maybe because I'm a new member. Finned... Hmm. Do they help dissipate heat? Kinda wish I were keeping 'em now! Should have done my homework before I threw 'em on ebay! Awesome word, by the way, "unobtanium." Awesome looking build too.
Cheers,
Rob

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Phaedrus II: CB750 "Super Standard" - Update 11/30/08 - w/new pics
« Reply #565 on: June 24, 2009, 06:05:21 am »
Part of my styling theme is the "ridges" or finned look. The rear pegs are "O-ring" type, the axle spacer is finned, the brake stay is fiinned, the black shock springs on the chrome body carry the look, the engine covers are all finned and my personal jewel is the "unobtanium" Henry Abe finned tappet covers.
SNIP

I hope this post doesn't constitute board spamming, but you referred to Henry Abe finned tappet covers as "unobtanium," and I thought you and your fellow builders might like to know that I have a set for sale on ebay. They're brand new, in the original pack. Just search for "NOS Tappet Covers for Honda CB750". I tried to post them in the appropriate area of the board, but the link doesn't exist, maybe because I'm a new member. Finned... Hmm. Do they help dissipate heat? Kinda wish I were keeping 'em now! Should have done my homework before I threw 'em on ebay! Awesome word, by the way, "unobtanium." Awesome looking build too.
Cheers,
Rob
Wow I sure don't remember that picture, but its my workbench.

"Credit where credit is due" dept.: unobtanium = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtanium

Thanks for looking at my project. I found my Henry Abe tappet covers at a flea market I think, still in original packaging, which has since deteriorated to nothing. Some may know for sure, but i don't ascribe any heat dissipation qualities to this style or any other finned cover, for me its just for looks. I wouldn't argue the point either way.

I like them as their profile does not show the raised hex many do. THey are to be turned with a large Allen. Their diameter is so large that its just as easy to turn with gloved hand or some cushioned slip jaw pliars. The fins are already blacked out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:18:13 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #566 on: June 24, 2009, 06:48:01 am »
A bit of a milestone. On June 18th 2008 I started this thread. A review of my first post indicated I thought it would take a year. And a year has passed. Happy anniversary. With steady, though not intense, effort, we've made good progress. I used to have a boss who had "Keeble's three rules of life". "Everything 1. costs more than you thought it would; 2. takes longer than you thought it would; 3. is never as good or as bad as it seems at the time." So true.

So its likely to take another 6 months total at this point, a rolling chassis in 2 months, a powered chassis in 3 months. That puts it into winter time again. Hopefully it will actually be running before then. I would be working on some final issues, duroiing the cold months, maybe the new paint job. and the official roll out would be Spring 2010. Though several shake down runs should occur prior to that.

I'll be leaving with the wifer to visit the nephew in San Francisco from 7-2 to 7-8.  I'm trying to work a little each night to make up for the down time.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #567 on: June 24, 2009, 08:10:59 pm »
Well, some of you were probably giggling while I explained my inner fender repair with airplane glue. A little flex and that joint snapped like a twig.

So I'm searching. I know there are threads here for plastic welding repair. I think just recently Goon had one using MEK. So its back to the drawing board to do it right.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #568 on: June 25, 2009, 12:27:21 am »
Well, some of you were probably giggling while I explained my inner fender repair with airplane glue. A little flex and that joint snapped like a twig.

i didn't want to say anything... but since you mention it, my memory of model glue is consistent with your experience.
but the way i look at it, it can't hurt to try.  ;D
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #569 on: June 25, 2009, 05:40:23 am »

Would fiberglass work Ron? Thats what Id use for a sidecover.

good luck
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #570 on: June 25, 2009, 06:44:04 am »

So I'm searching. I know there are threads here for plastic welding repair. I think just recently Goon had one using MEK. So its back to the drawing board to do it right.

Holy double sharp build batman! 8) 8)
I was just reading up on your updates and saw the fender, I was going about to ask if you tried the trick I used with the MEK and if that fender was ABS plastic but you beat me to it.
If it is pvc and not abs you can use the pipe cement it will literally cold weld it together, one piece when its cured(might be gooey for about 15hrs). we use some stuff called THF (tetrahydrafuran) for pvc sheets to cold weld them together and that stuff is a watered down version of pvc cement.
Great build and I am speechless too. ;D 8) 8)
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #571 on: June 25, 2009, 07:09:24 am »

Holy double sharp build batman! 8) 8)
I was just reading up on your updates and saw the fender, I was going about to ask if you tried the trick I used with the MEK and if that fender was ABS plastic but you beat me to it.
If it is pvc and not abs you can use the pipe cement it will literally cold weld it together, one piece when its cured(might be gooey for about 15hrs). we use some stuff called THF (tetrahydrafuran) for pvc sheets to cold weld them together and that stuff is a watered down version of pvc cement.
Great build and I am speechless too. ;D 8) 8)
Hi: Thanks for chiming in, I was going to PM you. How can I know if its ABS or PVC? I read your thread when it first came out, but don't remember for sure, if its ABS does one have to have some extra ABS to feed into the weld?

I had a CB750 sidecover professional welded by Otto at Mares Cycle (since retired) many years ago and it is as you say, the edges of the crack are melted together, He laid a bead along the length of the crack, with 3 short beads at 90 degree to the crack. Can't tell if he actually added some material or not.  A small bead on the painted side sanded down and painted smooth. It is the sidecover for this project actually, though its been stored for many years.

BAck to my inner fender questions. Comments?

And thanks for the props!
Ride Safe:
Ron

Throttleboss

« Reply #572 on: June 25, 2009, 07:11:08 am »
use fiberglass repair, very durable, on the underside where it cant be seen

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #573 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:49 am »
use fiberglass repair, very durable, on the underside where it cant be seen

I've got 2 votes for fiberglass, but I like the results of "welding".

In my case the crack lives in a place that cannot stand any increase in thickness. THe inner fender slides into place between some tangs that stick out from the frame and the crack is right there. THe repair needs to be smooth and inocuous. Fiberglass might still work, but I'll try the welding.

Thanks!

PS: Here's Goon's recent thread on welding with MEK. KGhost chimes in with his MEK method also. There are several thread links inside this thread on the subject. Welding seems like a more elegant fix. The crack is actually gone, rather than patched over.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=49736.0
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:09:46 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #574 on: June 25, 2009, 08:09:21 am »
So waiting for Goon's reply on how to know if the inner fender is ABS or PVC, I did some googling.

I've experienced PVC cement on various DIY plumbing projects I'm sure many of you have as well. Now when you cement or "weld" PVC together it is quick and if done properly the joint is stronger than the pipe itself. But right on the bottle it says "not approved for ABS".

So I sez, well is there "ABS Cement"?, googled that and up it comes at Lowe's for $2.72 a bottle (cheap is good because if its like the PVC cement, use it for the current project and it'll be hard by the time you need it again.). And it says "approved for all grades of ABS". Since this is a non-critical part, and a small bottle of MEK is $8 at ACE Hardware, Lowes has a gallon for $16, I think I'll try some ABS Cement.

Film at 11.   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron