Author Topic: tires mounted backward  (Read 940 times)

Offline vames

• Expert
tires mounted backward
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:06:39 pm »
Long story short, there's a local car tire place that puts on bike tires for me ($20 per tire) for my 400f. Turns out he put both of my new spitfires on the 400f backward and I didn't even think to notice till after they were mounted up and I'd riden around for a while. They ride and feel great. Ugh. Should have sat there and watched but didn't even pay attention.

I know I'm going to have to get them turned around, but I have a 200-ish round trip ride (mostly on country roads not high speed) planned for this weekend. Am I putting myself in serious danger for this ride? What exactly determines the "directional" property of the tire? 

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Re: tires mounted backward
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:14:15 pm »
The direction of the tread, for the most part, is there for dealing with water.
If you aren't going to be riding in the wet at all, you should probably be ok.
But get him to put them on the right way, anyway. You never know what the road is going to throw at you.
No.

Offline Tower

• Only at conception could I have been called a
  • Hot Shot
  • My personal time machine: 1973 CB750K3
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:48:35 pm »
The directionality of the tyres is linked to their ply construction!  Ply layers are directional for added road stability.  Force is carried by the plies lateral and diagonally to prevent sidewall compression on braking and on acceleration.  Braking creates forces in opposite direction than does acceleration - one reason front tyres and rear tyres are different.

Water dispersion, contrary to popular belief, is NOT the main reason, because tyres do not act as squeegees.  Instead, they press down on a water filmed road forcing the water into the tyre grooves.  Any point in the rotation is as good as any other - there is no cascading sequence.  i.e. Water is not squeezed along a groove to be released at the edges, and does not squirt out the sides as the tyre rotates, it but rather is carried by the tyre around and flung off tangentially to the rotation (Notice how tyre spray makes the wheel look like a pinwheel).

Reversing the direction puts extra stress on the sidewall when you brake and when you accelerate - shortening tyre life and increasing the chances of tyre decompression failure.  Tyre wear is effected mostly, perhaps as much as halving tyre life.  Chances of compression failure remains very very small even with the increased stress.

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:50:57 pm »
I stand corrected.
No.

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »
Hmmm. Sounds like an annoyance and something that needs to be fixed very soon for the longevity of the tires, but not something that's going to screw my ride for this weekend (especially since the 400f is probably the lighter end of what these tires are engineered for anyway). Thanks Tower!