Author Topic: my cb650 to bobber project..  (Read 106760 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: my cb650 to bobber project..
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2009, 01:00:59 am »
I was lucky, my bike was in bits so found that removable part of frame in a box while assembling the engine.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2009, 10:32:51 am »
The remote starter idea sounds neat.  I've never seen one on a bike.  I bet you could have a lot of fun with it too.   ;) :)
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:57 am »
750ss(the guy who set FI on his cb750) has a remote starter.

I have seriously thought of this as well.
Any pics/wiring problems you encounter(and overcome) would be helpful!

I know I'm not the only one hesitant to attempt this without knowing how easy/hard this is.
Electrical smoke seems to escape from parts too often on me...

l8r

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2009, 11:19:09 pm »
750ss(the guy who set FI on his cb750) has a remote starter.

I have seriously thought of this as well.
Any pics/wiring problems you encounter(and overcome) would be helpful!

I know I'm not the only one hesitant to attempt this without knowing how easy/hard this is.
Electrical smoke seems to escape from parts too often on me...

l8r

Well,I have a mechanic shop and the one specialty I have is remote car starters...up to 2009 cars...so if you ever have a question about them,I can probably answer them for ya.... ;) ;)
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:36 pm »
so.....I got a little farther with the project(not much though,been busy)...

I mounted the engine to a automotive engine stand....

a close up of the angle iron I used (from an old bed)

also took the cylinders off.

the pistons look pretty good,not a lot of blow-by from the rings....

little damage from carbon build up on top side of piston,nothing to worry about..

so,next thing will be,take pistons off(number them first) and clean the carbon off,tape up engine and clean the crap out of it.....I decided to paint the engine...

any thoughts of what I should paint what color..??? I picked up black and alu color...
was thinking the center cases alu and the clutch cover,front sprocket cover black,cylinder bank alu and the head black...
the covers for the alternator and point cover will be polished to a chrome finish...

Okay,now I decided to strip the entire frame,and paint it as well...(came this far,might as well continue.. ;D )..

NOW,.................(gawd,this turns into a bigger project every day)..........this area here.....

I was thinking of making some sort of a fake oil tank here,where I can hide all the electrical works and remote in....
I'm looking for some ideas for that....any one..??????

have that fake oil tank of some sorts there and an open battery below it,on top of the swing arm......

Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2009, 11:35:12 pm »
oh,and I remember some discussion between kit and hush about the camchain tensioner.....

well,mine is out so i made a little video that shows you how the tensioner works.....

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2009, 12:14:21 am »
Hells teeth bro! you gonna get this finished in time for the BOTM judging? ;D
Oh yeah I got slapped by one of the Gods for dissing your bike too he he.
The question has to be asked, why would you create an oil tank? our bikes don't do the mix thing!
What you been using for sparkplugs mate....bacon? damn that's some carbon you got on them crowns.
Tell us how you paint the engine cases, I'm gonna strip out the Copper chopper's donk during winter and make it flash as. :D
Just a point of difference, my battery loads from the other (right) side of the bike, did you flip your battery case over or was it like that?
Oh yeah and cheers for the demo on the chain tensioner, go weld something....you know you want to. ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:18:07 am by Hush »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2009, 04:49:37 pm »
well,the oil tank would be fake,with all the electric stuff in em,except the battery....
then that triangle will be open with just that oiltank and battery,mounted on the swing arm....

yeah,all that carbon build up I'm not too sure about,sparkplug tips are almost telling me it's running lean....

I will post some pictures from me painting the engine,but it won't be a pro job,just a quick paint...

The battery sits on the stock location right now,normally you load it from under the seat...

chain tensioner is pretty neat,I like how they designed that....

and yes,i will have to do some welding,gonna cut out the top pipe from that triangle space and drop it a bit,so that i have room for some small springs under the seat.... 8)

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:10 pm »
okay,did some wrenching today in the shop....

first off,remember the o-ring that was missing from the head gasket on the left side.? Well I solved the mystery.. 8)

Found the missing o-ring behind the cover from the alternator.!!  :o :o  And I didn't had that cover off when I took the cylinderhead off..That tells me that in one point in time,somebody replaced the head gasket already,dropped that o-ring on the rotor from the alternator,never saw what he did and buttoned her back up...

I love detective work.. ;D ;D ;D

Staged the o-ring back in their for the picture,but that's the spot I found it..

First I removed the rotor.....some people use the rear axle for that but I have the correct tool for it.. ;D ;D ;D ;D (not bad for a guy that always welds everything solid,uh,HUSH.??   :D :D )

Then all hell broke loose and before I knew it I had the entire engine apart...

Some random pictures from it..

now this piece(the primary chain tensioner) looks almost like it's missing a piece from the tip,but a closer look tells me it's supposed to be that way...

My ignition advance will need some greasing,it squeaks when I move it and looks really dry...

At the moment I'm running everything through the parts washer for a good cleaning and then tomorrow it's painting time..

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:34:12 pm by martino1972 »

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »
wish my hands looked that nice after a tear down  ;D ;D ;D

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35:19 pm »
wish my hands looked that nice after a tear down  ;D ;D ;D

took that picture after I've been playing in the parts washer... :D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »
Did ya find anything really nasty in there Marti?
That was the dry type condition my advancer mechanism was in, take that sucker apart and grease all the wee axle points so she swings nicely, I tell you after doing mine the bike is more like a real 650 that the 200 she had been performing like. :D

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »
No,didn't find anything nasty at all.....all seems well inside the engine and I'm not replacing a single thing,it all looks good,should be fine for many miles to come...... 8)

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »
I'm watchin you do this...
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2009, 08:20:16 pm »
It's alright Marti, she can't really see you through those dark glasses. ;D

So you just pulled your engine to check? or did you have a leak?

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:02 pm »
well,had some very small leaks between the cases,more like a faint sweating..but to paint the cases it's so much easier if the engine is stripped down....I don't like the looks of painted bolt heads and it was a nice time to check out if i was riding a time bomb ready to explode on me or not.........I do this with my race quad as well,every winter I do a complete tear down on the engine.......

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2009, 01:48:58 am »
My bro-in-law is rebuilding 3 CB650's and he likes shiny bolts too so he got the whole lot electro plated, they look awesome and will make his motors really special.

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:00 am »
electro plated uh..????? wonder if that's some thing i can do at home..... ::)

gonna look into that...

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 02:23:31 am »
that's the correct shape of the primary tensioner, just make sure it's not battle scarred
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2009, 02:43:03 am »
Don't tell him that, he was gonna weld half of Alaska onto it. ;D

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:14 pm »
little preview.. ;D ;D

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2009, 01:00:40 am »
Woah that's georgeous mate, tu meki bro..........is that first one the rocker covers done in red?
I'm lov'n that clutch cover, mine is putz along side that, what's the secret Marti?

Offline martino1972

• Expert
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2009, 01:20:29 am »
clutch cover is painted..... 8)

the red glow on the first picture is from when i took the picture from the engines black part ,the flash didn't go .... I thought it gave a nice effect to the pic...

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2009, 02:53:57 am »
Ha your rat bike image is history now bro ;D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2009, 05:57:21 am »
true, true.  it was only a rat when it was weeping.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale