Author Topic: Boston - Vermont - Upstate New York (Adirondacks) on a CB750K4  (Read 20212 times)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Back from a weeks CB750 touring holiday to the Adirondacks, NY state. Was riding the CB750K4 with the g/f on the back. We had a tank bag (Chase Harper), saddlebags (Motopak), tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bags, backpack and small bag. See pic of the bike fully loaded.

First day, we rode from Boston to Morrisville, VT and stayed at a very nice Inn – Innkeeper was also a beekeeper and an excellent homebaker! Delicious breakfast! The road from I-89/Rt 4 going up Rt 100 is wonderful – very quiet and no traffic and weather was good – we managed to outrun the storm that was chasing us. There is an excellent café in  Morrisville, VT – the BeesKnees and we stayed there all night listening to a solo bluegrass player. Us and about 3 other people. So while not very busy it did have a very laid back easy going atmosphere. Great place to go for dinner/beer.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114709608412216668621.00044fbfe88e146ef09d8&ll=44.439663,-73.33374&spn=0.939316,2.406006&z=9

First nights accomodation:

Outside ready to roll....

Green mountains of VT

The next day saw us ahead of the storms again and riding up through the islands of Lake Champlain and then across into NY state.

Crossing Lake Champlain

Hyde log cabin

Crossing into NY state

The roads here are empty, windy and desolate.

We rode for miles and miles through minor roads that were lined by forest, not seeing anyone for long stretches. I did wonder what would happen if I would get another “lucky” puncture. Fortunately this would be a puncture-free trip  We rode down through Lazy Mountain and then onto Rt 3 and in the Adirondacks region properly  -amazing roads!! Good surface, great corners, lots of up and down and empty! Wonderful! Weather was a bit on the cool side but no rain. After riding on almost empty roads for a while we arrived at our campsite –Rollins Pond – 4 miles from the road and lakeside camping – very nice!

To go for a shower you had to ride for 4 mins – about 2 miles at 15 mph – yes that was hard! Campfires, beer and hiking were the next few days as well as visiting Saranac Lake and Lake Placid –highly recommend visiting the Olympic Ski jump area – really worth it. I also saw the Ice ring where the USA team won against the Russian ice skating team…the road to the campsite from Saranac Lake was along Rt 3 and then Rt30 – the Rt 30 section that we did the couple of days we were there was all tight sweeping turns that were excellent to ride. Wonderful to do at the start and end of the day.

Lake Placid - yes its real snow!

Waterfalls...

Practicing ski jumping in summer - wearing shorts, lifejacket, ski boots and skis!

The real ski jump

and from the top

and 1930`s view

I won...whatever it was we were doing

Bobsled in the rain...

A little bit slow with no snow...

More empty roads....sun comes out...

Raquette lake store...not much else...picnic by the lake

One thing I was worried about was leaving a bike with luggage and two helmets at the side of the road at a trail head (unlocked) while we went on a 4hr+ hike….was no problem the two times we did this. Great people in NY state – very friendly wherever we went. Another must see is the Adirondacks museum in Blue Mountain lake – excellent museum! We stayed at Long Lake at the Sandy Point motel – again can recommend this – had its own sandy beach with kayaks, boats etc for rental. Very well priced.

View from Sandy point....

On Thursday we woke up to heavy rain (lucky we were staying at the motel this time) and rode to the local diner in full rain gear. However by the time we were finished breakfast the rain had stopped and we made our way slowly to Saratoga Springs for more camping at the Whispering pines campsite (about 8 miles outside S.S.).  The ride down was very good – long sweeping curves, empty roads and fast.

Packing in the rain...

Saratoga Springs was an excellent find! Interesting main street, great cafes, bike parking is easy, lots of bikes around, interesting museum in the park and very very relaxing spa baths. Just what you need after riding 900+ miles. And the fact it was 88F and humid helped a lot as well.

Riding to the Vt after 2 days at Saratoga Springs we rode along Rt 29 to Rt 22 and then got a little lost, ending up on some minor backroad, riding in the middle of nowhere finally coming out at Salem, NY on Rt 22! Finally after trying to go over an unpaved mountain pass as it started raining we decided to go via Bennington/Rt 7 and its here we encountered our first ride in heavy sustained rain. All the way to West Dover, VT where we were staying our final night at the Deerfield Valley Inn – again a great place – very welcoming and very relaxing. Next day (today) with sever thunderstorms forecast we set off early riding Rt 9 to Brattleboro in early morning fog before breaking into hot sunshine around Rt 119 which led us to Rt 12 and Fitchburg and then Rt 2 to Boston. All in all a great ride, managed to dodge a few cops along the way, and finished 1250 miles later. The bike did very well  and no problems at all. Now needs a minor tune-up as I could hear the valves tapping a little.

Gear report for 2-up riding.
1.   The rack on the back was very useful – stored a tent, and 2 sleeping mats on the bottom layer. On top of this a small backpack with both sleeping bags (mine is 5` x 9`), spare shoes, stove (MSR pocket rocket), small pot and other small items. On top of this was a small bag with books, magazines etc
2.   Saddlebags – Motopak 40 litre – very good and solid and contained our clothes – one bag each. Roomy enough and easy to fit to bike and yes works with passenger footpegs!! The g/f would usually get on first and move back followed by me. Only problem with the saddlebags was the liner on the inside came away exposing the foam backing inside. Still usable though. Have fold out rain covers that worked!
3.   For rain – I used goretex waking trousers and gaiters – the gaiters are great for keeping your shoes (I was wearing hiking boots) dry.
4.   Chase Harper tank bag – large – had this since 2001 and love it. Fills up with a lot of stuff. No longer waterproof but was good enough.
5. Sigma bicycle computer was a great addition - accurate according to roadside speed limit recorders and gave roughly same trip distance as stock speedo. Very handy to have!

Cost of gas for regular was $3.99 leaving Boston and got up to $4.35 in NY state. Wasnt until VT on the way home it got cheaper again. Total cost of gas put on my debit card (made a few cash purchases but not that much) = $110. If I had gone by car (1995 VW Jetta, 26mpg on a good day) would have cost $200+ for gas.

Touring 2-up on a CB750 – yes can be done and no problem. Could it be comfier? Of course but everywhere we went we had someone talking to us about out antique motorcycle.

Thanks for listening,
Cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:28:35 am by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: Boston - Vermont - Upstate New York (Adirondacks) on a CB750K4
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:23:53 pm »
Lovely pictures and great descriptions of your trip. Contrary to popular belief NY is fairly empty as your road reports verify. NY State is about 47% forest and the remainder largely agricultural. New York City overshadows the rest of the State and people's perception. I am glad you had a great time. 

P.S. While you were enjoying the peaceful roads of NY I was in Boston enjoying the tranquil roads between my Hotel next to the BU Medical Center, Southhampton and Readville. Of course the night the Celtics won everyone decided to blow their horns between 1am and 2 am. The highlight of my trip was spending an evening with Mike Reick and his lovely family. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:34:08 pm by BobbyR »
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:26:44 am »
Hey Bobby sounds like we both had an eventful week! Im glad you had a good time in Boston and had the chance to meet Mike. Next time you are in town we have to arrange in advance for a SOHC night.

I cant wait to go back to NY state now  ;)

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:42:04 pm »
Hey Bobby sounds like we both had an eventful week! Im glad you had a good time in Boston and had the chance to meet Mike. Next time you are in town we have to arrange in advance for a SOHC night.

cheers
Andy

+1, Looking forward to meeting you on your next ride out here Bobby. I actually know some nice roads from Readville out to the Blue Hills. Not sure where Southampton is in the Boston area though!

upperlake04

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:29:43 pm »
  What?!    Still no windshield for your tours Andy?  ;D

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:56:24 pm »

cheers
Andy

+1, Looking forward to meeting you on your next ride out here Bobby. I actually know some nice roads from Readville out to the Blue Hills. Not sure where Southampton is in the Boston area though!

I would sure like to meet you guys. The T keeps changing the dates, but I need to get back to Boston. I actually drive to Boston in a Company car since I carry a trunk load of books and training aids. i am sue my old bones would not survive the trip anyway. I would love to ride around out of the City since Boston trafiic is as bad as NYC.  I could snag a Company Van it would be possible. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:03:43 am by BobbyR »

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:24:06 am »
  What?!    Still no windshield for your tours Andy?  ;D

Ah who needs a windshield!! I have a strong neck  ;)

I saw your tour report Upperlake and it makes mine look like a days outing! Well done on your own trip!

cheers
Andy
Current bikes

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:58:29 am »
Great pictures and documentation Andy. I really like the 'then and now' of the mountain view and the waterfall is awe inspiring. I don't know about that catwalk though!

Nice reminder to those not familiar with the area that NY is more than a city.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:13:44 am »
This is how I  spent that week. It was hot as hell and we had to walk all the way back to that building over in the far left corner of the picture. I am on the left and my man from Canada is on the right. That Amtrak Train is actually moving.

Pillage

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:36:50 am »
Andy,
I realize you posted this last summer, but I've been planning a couple of trips to get me through this tough Massachusetts winter.  Excellent trip report, you've inspired me to plan a ride around Lake Champlain (haven't done it in years). 
Thanks,
Andy

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 09:03:46 am »
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the message and glad you enjoyed my travel report. I would definitely recommend a ride round Lake Champlain - great roads and not much traffic (at least there wasnt end of June). Its a great time to be planning a trip...this morning I managed to get past the ice and slush and get in the garage to check over the K4 and K2...needing to get out and ride!

Where are you in Boston? Check out our local Forum for organising rides and beer nights...

http://nehondaguys.info/forums/index.php

cheers
Andy
Current bikes

Pillage

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 01:37:53 pm »
Sounds great I hope I can join you all for a ride soon.  I'm about 40 minutes NW of town.
I was lucky today, I just got back from a 70 mile ride.  The bike I rode (not my priceless CB7050F) is covered in salt but it was worth it!  I'll try to clean her up after she cools.

Offline markreimer

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 11:17:06 am »
@andy7500

I'm so glad I found this thread! Last summer I did a 5K+ km tour solo on my cb750. My girlfriend caught the bug and is going to be sitting behind me next summer while we ride 2-up from Winnipeg, Manitoba to California and back. Any other tips on setting up the cb750 for long distance 2-up touring? Did you change your suspension settings? Different tires? I'm pretty new to this so any basics would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:33 am »
Hey Mark

Thanks for the message and glad you enjoyed the thread. The K4 you see in the photos as been on several long distance trips including cross-country 4 times, tour of Mexico, tour of Europe etc etc so its been around. Mostly solo but 2-up is also fine.

Upgrades:

For the Adirondack trip it was on stock suspension which wasnt ideal as we did bottom out now and again. Since then I now have Progressive Springs on the back (heavy duty). Also consider Hagons as I have these on my other CB750.

Seat is stock and was fine. Swingarm should be checked for wear as this will affect stability/steering. Same goes for steering head bearings. Handlebars were euro bars but just find a bar that is comfortable for you for long days riding. Tires were Bridgestone BT-45s which I find great for all weathers and wear really well in my experience.

Dont forget some good quality rain gear (no hoods!) including waterproof gloves. Riding 2-up means packing economically - especially if camping. I have a very small sleeping bag that packs up to 9x 5` and is good for 3-seaons. Are you camping? If so a compact waterproof tent and a mini-stove are very useful (again its all about the size).

Let me know if any more specific questions.
Good luck!
Andy

Current bikes

Offline markreimer

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 07:35:45 am »
Thanks Andy!

I've got a few of these covered already actually. I ordered progressive springs for the front just yesterday, but hadn't looked at the rear suspension yet. Seems like a good idea as well.

I replaced the swingarm bushings last summer so it should still be fine, but the steering head bearings are probably getting close to replacement now.

I also had euro bars on for my last trip, loved them. Definitely keeping them on.

Other fixes I've got scheduled are replacing the oil pan gasket, braided oil lines which are leaking like crazy, possibly valve cover gasket (groan..), fork seals, chain/sprockets, brake pads f/r, and a carb rebuild. I've got one month of heated garage use in February, gotta get it all done if I want it ready in spring. whew! Shouldn't be a problem unless I have to do that valve gasket, which is a bit scary.

And I indeed will be camping! The size of my camping gear is a bit disconcerting.. I've got really great quality stuff, just not the most compact... might have to look into a new tent...

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:46:23 am »
Sounds like you have it all covered. I forgot to mention the chain - any good quality X-ring or O-ring will give you maintenance-free (or less) trouble and new sprockets are a good idea - Id still recommend 17/48 for 2-up.

Camping gear - I have a North Face Nebulus tent which is a roomy 2-person tent with two doors and more importantly great vestibule space by each door for storing helmets/boots/etc. I really like this feature. Its not a super compact tent but dosent need to be. Make sure your back rack is up to the weight. I have a photo on my K4 page (see signature) of my rack cracking at a well known pressure point  - this happened on Adirondack trip #2 when solo. I had it welded at each side and then braced to the rear fender and much more solid now. Sleeping back is an Eastern Mountain Sports ultra light bag - fits easily in my small tank bag. Stove is an MSR pocket rocket that fits in a small pot - good for tea/coffee/soup/one meal.

Also make sure your spokes are up to 2-up riding. I had a CB750 years ago that had rusty spokes and the rear ones all snapped one by one while riding down the highway with my brother on the back. Wheel eventually collapsed when got off the highway at the first stop light.

Good luck
Andy

Current bikes

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:10 pm »
It only took me almost 4 years to find this thread.  Very nice, Andy.  It reminds me I need to get some riding in back east one of these days.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 10:24:52 pm »
Stop by and pick me up on your way! Andy and I just talked about the 3 of us going for one of our LITTLE rides. Idea: how about we circle the Great Lakes? Meet Andy along the way........
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 04:48:14 am »
Sounds like a great idea.  Not this year unfortunately.  I'm trying to work it so I can retire for real sometime in the next 2 years.  I'll celebrate that with a long ride.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 06:06:11 am »
Thanks Greg. And yes I chatted with Jerry on the phone the other day and once he "understood" my accent we decided we needed a long ride with you Greg ;). Someday I hope!

Good luck on getting that retirement.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:41 am »
Sounds like a great idea.  Not this year unfortunately.  I'm trying to work it so I can retire for real sometime in the next 2 years.  I'll celebrate that with a long ride.

Hell Greg, I may even may my bike done by then  ;D

Andy wasn't as hard to understand as that damn Yankee Rieck!  ;) Imagine a phone conversation between a Kentuckian, a Scot and a Bastun Yankee!  :)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 05:38:35 pm »
I reckon if a plastic lizard can make it around the contiguous states, Canada, NZ, and OZ and beyond we can make this happen too.  Looking forward to it.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:50 pm »

Hell Greg, I may even may my bike done by then  ;D

Andy wasn't as hard to understand as that damn Yankee Rieck!  ;) Imagine a phone conversation between a Kentuckian, a Scot and a Bastun Yankee!  :)
Jerry, that is unfair. I spent an evening at Mike's and hell, he isn't even from Ma. He grew up in RI. I have spoken to Andy both on the phone and in person several times and he is quite clear.
I just adopted a rescue puppy from a shelter in Paris Ky. I swear that sum#$%* don;t understand a word I say. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 08:57:13 pm »
The reason he doesn't understand you is that he's like that rescue dog on the Bud Lite commercials, wego. Here we go!  ;D Try calling him by his real name - you little mother#$%*er. Here you little mother#$%*er. Bet that works! Try it. That's how we tawk in Caintucky. You should hear how we talk when we get pissed off!  Hey wait a minute, you don't need translators for those guys!  ;D Now that you mention RI, I can't understand my next door neighbor's mother either (RI too).   

Offline Znabb

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »
Nice write up and beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a great ride.
I rode 1500 km from Sweden to Germany and back this summer together with 3 CB750 SOHC and the CB750 seems to be very good vintage tourer.