Author Topic: Cooler ID Help Needed  (Read 1925 times)

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
Cooler ID Help Needed
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:19 am »
Guys,

I need help identifying this oil cooler. I "think" I know it's a Honda, the seller said it was a 1983 CB650, but the 1983 fiche shows a different attachment method for the hoses. I want to buy new or used OEM hoses for this cooler and knowing where to look will help big-time. If any of you have a pair - I'll take them. This is for my 1974 CB750 SOHC, so it fits here in the SOHC forum....

:)

Thanks,
Gordon

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:19:48 am by Ilbikes »
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline eurban

• Master
Re: Cooler ID Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:53:31 am »
Thats the oil cooler I used on my 78K project.   I do believe it came off of a post 82 650 (nighthawk).  The hoses consisted of formed curved metal tubes that attach to the cooler, a flexible crimped on section in the middle and a formed metal tube section that screws into an adapter plate that mounts underneath the oil cooler housing.  The adapter plate and bends of the lower portion of the hoses did not work with the contours of the 750 engine.  No matter, I cut off the hose crimp and rubber hose from the upper metal tubes and found a barbed fitting under neath.  New rubber hose was slid over the barbs and sealed with clamps and has worked well for a couple of years.  The metal tubes are flared on the ends and use a union nut and compression fittings to screw/seal into the cooler housing.  It been a while since I had the stuff apart so I can't remember exactly what these bits and pieces looked like. . . . I doubt you will want to order the entire hose assemblies new from Honda since they are bound to be very expensive and won't work properly with the 750 engine.  Seems like your best bet would be to find a used set to cut up or find a barbed (or other type for that matter) fitting that will screw into the threads and can be sealed with teflon etc.  For used parts, you may find that buying a whole assembly on Ebay is your best bet. They seem to come up often. . . .Here's a pic of the cooler on my 78K.  Note that the OEM metal tubes bend perfectly to clear the exhaust pipes and line up with the Lockhart inline thermostat.  . . . . . .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:23:35 am by eurban »

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:06:01 am »
If you look at parts diagram for the the 83,84,85 650s you will notice that they show a second option for the attachment method for the hose to the cooler. Look at the parts near the #4.  It would appear that they used two different type of hose to cooler attachments.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:57:26 am by eurban »

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:56:20 am »
Hey, thanks. Yes, yours is exactly the same as mine. The fiche drawing is what had me thrown off.

I do appreciate your time and input. This had me baffled....

Gordon

Offline void909

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:25 pm »
So wait, there is a way to cool your oil on an old cb750 k4?
knock with no answer

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »
Search under "oil cooler" or just ask Terry from Australia.

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:25:29 pm »
Guys, I love Terry's adapter. It allows me to run a cooler and to use my chrome K&N spin-on filters (bling bling), but I'm not having good luck with the hose clamped tubing. I purchased it seperately along with the cooler. This is the best stuff Jegs sells - stainless covered, high-pressure oil line, but my lines have been leaking at their top barb. I bought this threaded cooler and lines so I would have threaded connections. I can't stand a leak - especially one with 60 psi behind it.

Eurban, has your ever leaked? Something about 60 PSI, hose clamps, and $4,000 of engine parts gives me the shakes.

Gordon

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:54:09 pm »
No all my connections are tight.  I used fuel injection hose clamps for all the barbed fittings except the connection of the rubber hose to the 90 degree OEM fittings.  I used standard clamps (two per actually) because the OEM barbed fittings were a bit bigger (and longer) than the standard 3/8" barbs requiring a good bit of muscle to get the hose on and being too big for the fuel injection hose clamps that I had on hand.  Certainly the Honda engineered connections between the 90 degree fittings and the cooler are solid as a rock. Also the cooler itself is typical of honda quality and its shape kind of mimics the cylinder head casting.  I will probably swap out new hose in the next oil change or so and install fresh clamps. . . . .If you have the means ($) and want to go top notch, I  would suggest getting yourself a used set OEM hoses, cut out the 90s, having a tranny shop crimp on quality hose that terminates in an AN fitting that will bolt into your adapter plate. That, or figure out a way to connect directly to the cooler with a 90 AN fitting. . . .I for one wouldn't use a cooler without a thermostat. Don't want to slow down the oil warm up or over cool in the winter.  Nor do I want to have to remove the cooler in the colder months. An inline thermostat does makes using race fittings pretty difficult however. 

Offline WFO

• Will work for powerbands
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:32:56 pm »
It still could be a 1983 cooler i don't think the 82 came with a oil cooler atleast mine doesn't have one (i could be wrong) but this pic looks just like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__83-Honda-Nighthawk-650-Oil-Cooler-w-adapter_W0QQitemZ270231753851QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116
82 cb650 sc nighthawk - 78 kz 650 b

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:48:48 pm »
Yes it is most likely a 83 (post 82 as I perhaps confusedly said earlier) or later 650 nighthawk cooler.  No the SOHC 650 (82 and earlier) did not have oil coolers . . .

Offline WFO

• Will work for powerbands
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 06:52:26 pm »
Yes it is most likely a 83 (post 82 as I perhaps confusedly said earlier) or later 650 nighthawk cooler.  No the SOHC 650 (82 and earlier) did not have oil coolers . . .

Looking at your picture you got me thinkin about putting one on my 82, i wonder if that  plate would fit on it though.
82 cb650 sc nighthawk - 78 kz 650 b