Author Topic: Rebuild for Dummies Redux - v2.0, Mulligan  (Read 60738 times)

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Re: Rebuild for Dummies - Redux
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 12:26:38 am »
Just to keep the scope creep going on this project  ;D

I'm eyeballing a set of Yamaha R6 rearsets. There's a ton of them on eBay for cheap with all the gear and the brake side looks like it would need fairly minimal customization to work.

My question is all I want to do is move the pegs back 2 or 3 inches but leave them in line with where the stock pegs are. If I mount the bottom of the bracket for the R6 sets where the stock pegs go do you think that would work? - maybe with some spacers?

Edit:
Hmmm, after staring at the pic of the left hand side and a pic of my bikes frame I think these are iffy. The shift rod comes over the top for the R6. Very pretty. Just about the exact wrong place to get to the splines. I'll have to look at it in the real but there may be a reason everyone seems to use GSXR rearsets.

Kind of a shame since the right side has the brake switch built in already and I think it would just be a matter of having a tab welded on and connecting it to the brake. Course what I think and reality have been a wee bit removed from each other lately.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:18:11 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 07:02:56 pm »
Finally! Hoses. Had some troubles in shipping (never arrived) but Shaun at Sling Shot Cycles made it right.

http://stores.ebay.com/Sling-Shot-Cycles

I think all the pieces are assembled and the weather's supposed to be mild. Hurry up week and get over with already.

Offline Tim in Ohio

• So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 06:14:23 am »
Those rotors look great!  I like your ideas for the additional items ("scope creep")...  Keep the updates coming!
1973 Honda CB350  Four

Check out my CB350F resto project...  watch a complete moron build a bike in front of your very eyes!: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38903.0

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 11:06:35 am »
Thanks! The R6 rear sets are a definite no go sadly but I did happen up on a machine shop in Redmond on my way to Duvall. Nice bunch of guys. They were pretty enthused to chat about the machine and said if I mocked them up the brackets required they'd be happy to machine them.

http://www.birdwellmachine.com/

for anyone on the eastside that might want to chat with them.

Edited:
Keep on keeping on
Hayabusa and CBR 600 F2 rearsets for reference

I think the Hayabusa's are the no-brainer of the lot. Plus - someone's already demonstrated their use
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45976.msg481499#msg481499
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:05:20 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 11:19:39 am »
Well, full stop. The 6 bolts I got from Tacoma Screw are actually 5 of one size and 1 that's about a centimeter longer. TS isn't open Sat - Sun so... I'm looking at these delays as the universe making sure I get some quality time with my pop  ;D

At any rate here's a pic of the speedo drive plate fit up I haven't seen in other threads and may be helpful for folks trying to envision just what mods need to be made to the plate to fit up dual disks. It's not much but it's particular.

Basically the thing needs to sit flush with the rotor so the bell comes off the stock drive plate and the diameter is cut down to match the rotor. Bend down the tangs, trim to fit and viola.

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »
This weekends shenanigans... Header wrap, exhaust studs and fitting a Kerker exhaust.

Decided I'd fit up the pipe and work on the brakes this weekend. Figured wrapping and mounting the pipe would be pretty quick. Not so much. Took about 4 hours to wrap the thing including paint and another 3 freaking out I had the wrong pipe, fitting the studs the wrong way in (just for the record it's the short end in the head braniac) and backing them out and refitting the extra set I got from Tacoma Screw.

If it's interesting here's the whole messy affair on studs since my Kerker was used and didn't come with them.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46325

So, inspection. It was presented on eBay as rusty with some dings. Hmmm, looks reasonable from here

but

If I could take this pic why couldn't the seller? I still would have bought them... Ah well, what do you expect for a $117 bucks?

So I zinged the rust and decided to wrap the header. First a little hi-temp

Then try and figure out how much each pipe requires. Somehow I ended up at about 120 inches for the inside pipes down to where they meet the outside pipes, about 2 feet longer for the outside and the rest to wrap to the collector. One way or another it took all 50 feet.

Finish up the last pipe down to the collector and zap it with a can of silicone paint.

Then mount the bastards. This totally freaked me out when I fit up the headers and it wasn't even close.

Luckily folks on the board realized I'd taken the brown acid and talked me down
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46970.0

Had the long ends of the studs in the head. Backed them out and replaced with some even longer studs I got as insurance from Tacoma Screw.

And then it was done. Whew.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:42:55 pm by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
Edit: This post contains gratuitous and unnecessary filing of a fork leg. Presented as a cautionary tale and corrected in a later post.

Also got a chance to get back on the dual disks this weekend.

Referencing this FAQ.
http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?title=Dual_disc_conversion

and decided to hang the calipers off the back of the forks from this conversation
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46185.0

And here we go:
Exchanged out the one long bolt for the right size while I was picking up the extra set of exhaust studs at Tacoma Screw so that was out of the way. Slapped em together - preety

Since it had been a couple months I had to scratch my head putting the axle back together... Oh yeah, screwdriver in the other side - make twisting motion repeatedly.  ::)

A rude discovery (even though it's covered in the FAQ). The forks are swapped right for left and the mounts are facing backwards at this point. That part really is just that easy.

So off come the brackets - could've just taken off just one

Let's see... One of these kids is not like the other. Looking from the front, left is the old mount and right is the one that needs to be modified.

Edit: This is the wrong part. If you're like me you'll look at this and come to the conclusion the right should mirror the left with the bottom mount being parallel to the outside of the disc. That's wrong. In fact the pics below are almost perfect and all that would've been required would be to make sure the face of the bottom mount was parallel to the disc (if it wasn't already). Don't think so much  ;)

In the FAQ he says
So what you need to do is place the 8x35mm bolt and washer into the lower hole on the caliper pivot arm and just nip up. This will give a good idea of how out of shape the mounts on this fork leg are. Mine had a gap of more than 20mm between the top mounts on the fork to the top mount of the pivot arm.

Yep, seems about right. The lower mount needs to be shaved down parallel to the disk just like the pic of the left leg. I think I understand. That won't last long though.

So I put the file flat against the rotor (it's like a twelve inch file) and made a rough mark I needed to come to. Start makin shavins!

Hmmm, this could be trouble - the caliper hanger's going to but up against the mount buttress

Looking at the left hand pic above it seems that's how it comes from the factory. Nicer of course. So more filing

And you end up with a hanger that does something like this

It's close but no cigar. The FAQ says

Next, when things are parallel, nip the pivot arm to the fork leg, then measure the gap left between the top mounting points of the fork and the top mounts of the pivot arm, and then file back a pair of washers to fit in these gaps ,in (fig. 3) you see the rear mount shim, and in (fig. 4) you see the front mount shim.

And that's where I left it for the weekend. Reading the above I think I should see gaps at the top - but I don't. I see a gap at the bottom (filled with washers in this pic as I did a dry fit) and the offset for the caliper is way off based on hanging off there

If anyone sees this going wrong or I've misinterpreted the instructions I'd LOVE to know now as opposed to later.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:37:49 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:54 pm »
Hmmm,

Renewed my license and went from 3 - All Motorcycles to 3 - Two-wheeled motorcycles only. No side-car for you!!!

Geez, Washington, do you really need to keep changing this stuff around? In the 80's I was 750cc and below or somesuch. Now I could take the test on a pocket bike and ride away on Hayabusa? Make up your mind!  ;D

Oh, and I'm 15 pounds heavier than I was in 2003 AND my signature no longer even attempts to form letters.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:20:20 pm by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Are you there God? It's me, Iggy
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:26 pm »
Dear God,

Not sure what you're thinking with the 3 inches of snow you dumped today before I left. I know you work in mysterious ways but this makes me think it's possible you just hate me. You do know this is western Washington right and not Montana? Let me know if you need a refresher.

Anyways, if you could get it together to make the temperature rise into the 50's over a weekend or two that'd be nice. I'd like to paint my side-panels. I'll settle for mid-40's if it's too much effort. At least then I could feel my toes.

Oh, and if you'd like to give the plague to eBay sellers who sell stuff that doesn't work I'd appreciate it. Specifically the guy who sold me the 91 Katana master cylinder that doesn't move fluid around.

Maybe some running sores too. If you're really into it make it hurt when he pees.

KTHXBYE

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:54:40 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »
Alrighty then. More time in on getting the dual disk conversion done and I am an idiot - thus the thread title. Why aren't you guys looking out for me when I do these things? I mean, is it too much to ask for a heads up when I do something stupid?  ;D

It seems that I was 180 degrees out of whack with the FAQ... somehow. Still not sure but I think I'll work it out here for the benefit of anyone else that can't follow instructions. Step by step.

Tools & Parts Needed:
1x calliper arm
1x calliper
1x disc
6x8mmx110mm bolt (for disc)
1xlower brake line (that makes two all up)
1x steel brake line to calliper (which again makes two all up)
1xdouble banjo fitting (for the two lower brake lines)
1x bigger master cylinder (some say GL goldwing master cylinders are ok. I used one off a modern dual disc bike.)
1x CB500/550 speedo drive plate (no modification)
2x6mmx30mm bolts and washers
1x8mmx35mm bolt and washer

Check - minus the 500/550 speedo drive plate which is the same as the 750. You'll need to saw off the bell and find a way to get the tangs bent down in a nice straight bend. I got a machine shop to do the bending and even then had to Dremel the inside of the bend square to the hub.

OK for starters, put the bike on the centre stand, and jack the front off the ground, take the wheel off, remove the axle and the factory disc bolts.

Check

Remove the speedo drive,chrome retainer plate,speedo gearbox drive, and the rubber ‘O’ ring on the hub.

Now get your two discs... when you look through them back to back, they will line up, but only on a couple of spots, mark them so when you bolt them together on the hub, they will look the same when looked though; this is just cosmetic, but I am fussy with stuff like that and its easier to do it now then when you get it all back together and realise...!!!.

Right. Now that you have made sure they line up, and have marked them, get the 6, 110mm long bolts and pass them through disc number one. This disc is going onto the speedo drive side. If you put them in from the other side the nuts will hit the speedo gear box, so bolt heads MUST be on the speedo side(fig 1). Now feed the disc over the hub, with the bolts going right through the hub, and put disc number two on, with holes that were marked lined up, and do up the nuts. (Sorry I couldn’t find a torque setting for these bolts.)

Checkity check and damned if I know the torque either. Try really super tight.

Now put the CB500/550 speedo drive plate in the middle of the second disc, it should be a really neat [tight] fit, but it should fit, you wont be able to use your chrome dress ring - no room. Next put your speedo gearbox on, then refit your axle. If you have forgotten which side the shaft goes into, it insets from the speedo side, once this is done, your front double disc wheel is complete. Now the caliper.

Still not a 500/550 speedo drive but I'll get over that. Should work something like this

Now you are going to have to refit the wheel for this; from now on it is a lot of fitting, and removing of the caliper arm to get right.

Firstly I fitted the caliper arm, and didn’t check anything. BIG mistake! What happened was, when I squeezed the front brake the caliper wasn’t parallel to the disc, and jammed the whole show up!!! I mean major drama just to get the caliper mount bolts undone so I could just move the bike.

So what you need to do is place the 8x35mm bolt and washer into the lower hole on the caliper pivot arm and just nip up. This will give a good idea of how out of shape the mounts on this fork leg are. Mine had a gap of more than 20mm between the top mounts on the fork to the top mount of the pivot arm.

Now this is where the patience and trial and error are coming into there own. You need to take the pivot arm off again, and file the lower mount little by little till you can mount the pivot arm parallel to the disc(fig 2), you can use a straight ruler along the side of the pivot arm to check parallel.

Now what I did was try and file the lower mount as close as I could to the fork leg, without fouling up the pivot arm, before I started shimming the top of the mount. (fig. 3)

Here's where things go wrong for me. I read this and fitted it up and concluded I needed to bring the lower mount in to match the original. A quick pictorial recap:

The factory machined fork turned around and fitted to the left (looking at the front of the bike)

The lower mount lines up nicely with the rotor.

What's happening on the unmachined right side fork? Why, it's just about 20mm longer than the left.

Let's file the bejeezus out of it! Well, no. That would be wrong. But it's what I did.

I think I read and didn't understand
Mine had a gap of more than 20mm between the top mounts on the fork to the top mount of the pivot arm.

Reading it again I'm still not sure I understand the "top mount of the pivot arm" There's three holes. I think I'll call mine top and bottom.

So damage done. Let's soldier on.

This took some time to get right, because you have to file the pivot mount parallel to the disc as well, otherwise the top of the pivot arm won't mount to the fork. Take your time; you can always take metal off - its bloody hard to put it back on though, and also remember that there are metal filings going into the threads - blow these out before screwing a bolt into them otherwise it will destroy the thread, and that’s not a good thing.

Awesome point. Pretty sure I would have caught the filings since they had completely filled the hole of the bottom mount but still... awesome point.

Next, when things are parallel, nip the pivot arm to the fork leg, then measure the gap left between the top mounting points of the fork and the top mounts of the pivot arm, and then file back a pair of washers to fit in these gaps ,in (fig. 3) you see the rear mount shim, and in (fig. 4) you see the front mount shim.

You will also notice how parallel the caliper pivot arm and the disc are, this is essential to this set up working properly.

So, you've read this far. You know I'm an idiot but here's what I ended up doing based on a conversation here on just how to tighten up the hex head bolts on the back of the calipers once the arm is in place.

The answer is you don't. You assemble the caliper and hanger as a piece and bolt it to the fork leg. Which is where I got the idea to do just that and use it as a guide for where the damn hanger should be positioned relative to the fork leg so it'll be perfectly parallel.

Basically, fit the caliper over the rotor (mine have brand new brake pucks so it's tight) and take a peek at the gaps between the hanger and the fork. THAT is what needs to be fixed whether too tight or loose as hell. Mine, after taking the lower mount parallel to the rotor, was loose as hell. I was not pleased.

Back to the FAQ
Ok now we have the pivot arm all nice and parallel; you would have also noticed by now that you have to try and get the bolt done up when the wheel is on. Don’t uses socket head caps screws as the mounting bolts like I did - have you ever tried getting an allen key between a wheel to do them up!!! Stick to bolts for this application. Another thing - you are going to have to remove one of the calipers if you want to remove the wheel in the future since the wheel and tire just don’t fit between the two pivot arms when they are both bolted on. There is always a downside.

What? Stick to bolts? Uh... If yours is like mine just assemble the caliper and bracket and fit it up. Bolts? Really, I don't know squat but does that make sense? Would a bolt even fit in a k5 caliper with the heads recessed like they are?

Moving on:
Now, while looking at the bike from the front, mount the guard to the right side first using the bolts and washers that came off that side; on the left side use your 8mmx35 bolt and washer on the lower mount.
You will find at this point you may need to slightly bend your guard mount a little to get the pivot arm behind it (fig. 4). The guard has rubber grommets in it; take them out. Now you need 6mm washers between the guard mount and the pivot arm, and then you need 6mm washers between your bolts and the other side of the guard mount (the guard mount is sandwiched between the washers); this stops the guard from moving around and makes for a more solid plate form for you to tighten the upper pivot arm bolts.
Now you should have the pivot arm and the guard fitted and everything should still be parallel. Now to fit the adjuster screw, you will notice that the adjuster screw mount on the fork is in a different spot than the other fork which is why I put the lock nut on the inside; there just wasn’t any room on the outside. You will see this in fig. 4.

I think this may be specific to his bike on the washers and grommets and stuff.

I ended up mounting the fender like this. Someone PLEASE let me know if this is a bad idea. Seems to be fine though.

The fender mounts fill the gaps in the top mounts on the right side in my case. The bottom is filled with 3 washers

And here's what the left side looks like

On to the caliper... I would suggest that you rebuild them before you put them on the bike; nothing is worse than getting something finished and having to pull it apart again. The caliper mounts the same as the normal factory caliper - just reversed - so nothing hard there. The steel brake line runs the same, though you may have to zip tie it to the guard, because there is no line holder on this side (fig. 3).

Check on the rebuild of the calipers.

So a little caveat on the bleeders. Since the calipers are not mirrored one side will have the bleeder on the top and the other will have it on the bottom. The holes for feed and bleed are NOT the same. I found out when one of the pipes would not come tight. Take a peek inside the holes and you'll see the bleeder is a nice big opening that the cone of the bleeder fits into.

My brake lines are just hanging out there for god and everyone to see. I may come back and get some custom lines made up and then just run them 2up out of the MC. But for now...

So I think I'd hose most of the FAQ, knock the caliper and hanger together, see what the gaps are, shim or shave depending on what you see (possibly with the fender mounts) and get on with having some fun. Maybe that's exactly what he's saying in the FAQ and I just over-thought it.

Really, I hope this helps someone, schmuck to schmuck.

Anyone feel free to correct me here as I have to get a working master cyclinder before I'll know for sure but I'll update this when I do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:32:16 pm by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »
And just because I couldn't wait I plugged the tank on there. If it ever gets finished I think I'll be pretty happy.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:10:23 pm by Iggy »

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 08:22:04 am »
Looking very nice Iggy - loving that black engine and the dual disks.

Keep going!
cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:07 am »
All right brother between what sillyness you did and what sillyness I am about to do we can do dual disc's. ;D
Looks like I have a bit more reading to do in your thread, sorry I skipped to the end....
I was going to do the dual disc's and leave it alone but you are making me want to flip the forks around too....
You seem very well informed with your thread and maybe together we can update the dual disc conversion how to and add all the drill template pdf thread to it that I made... ;D
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:57 pm »
All right brother between what sillyness you did and what sillyness I am about to do we can do dual disc's. ;D
Looks like I have a bit more reading to do in your thread, sorry I skipped to the end....
I was going to do the dual disc's and leave it alone but you are making me want to flip the forks around too....
You seem very well informed with your thread and maybe together we can update the dual disc conversion how to and add all the drill template pdf thread to it that I made... ;D

The flip is pretty easy and it seems the fit up is too. I won't make any claims to being the brightest bulb in the drawer mechanically (especially after filing down my perfectly good fork leg) but, yeah, I think the FAQ could be clearer and I'd be happy to contribute anything I can.

I'm going to hook up the stock master this weekend and see how it feels. After going through all the threads on why a larger piston is the way to go (shorter throw - more feel) I'm curious what the stocker will feel like. From the talk I expect I should crush my ring finger and pinky if I really pull on it. We'll see.

More pics and reminders to think before doing seem in order for the FAQ  ;D Remind me what model/year you've got?

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »
Looking very nice Iggy - loving that black engine and the dual disks.

Keep going!
cheers
Andy

Thanks Andy!

Too far to turn back now. I sure wish I had a planet blue tank though. Well... down the road after I get a few thousand miles on it. If I have my way it'll be up and out of the garage this weekend.

And now I have to shut up so I don't jinx it ;D

Edit: Nope. Didn't work.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:13:36 pm by Iggy »

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 06:40:47 am »
I gots a 76 750k6  ;D

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 09:06:35 am »
I gots a 76 750k6  ;D
Should be the same calipers and getup exactly then. Let's do it!

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:17 am »
You betcha, I gotta polish the forks while I'm in there too. I will post pics soon 8)

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2009, 10:41:27 am »
See if just fitting up the caliper and bracket with new pucks gets you the gap info you need for shimming/shaving and let me know. If it works for you then there's a whole section of the FAQ that can just go away.

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Re: Rebuild for Dummies Redux - AKA - Operation Hapless
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »
Got the thing running for the first time in 5 months or so. Untuned, unsynced music to abuse your machine by accompanied by excessive smoke ;D If it sounds this good untuned I think I'm in for a treat next week.

Oh, and please enjoy my particularly makeshift tank stand  ::)

The downside is the wiring in the headlight bucket. Is there a color-coded guide to the connections there?

First time through getting everything connected the bike wouldn't run - just gurgled at me. Referring to a pic I took way back in September or so it seemed I had 3 wires left unconnected. This time through still had three but 2 were different colors. Got it fixed (sorta) and applied some numbered stickers (wish I'd known to pick these up when I took it apart initially - NOTE TO FELLOW SCHMUCKS - DON'T TAKE ANY WIRING CONNECTIONS APART WITHOUT MARKING THEM CLEARLY FIRST $5.00 and save a lifetime of angst eh?)

I'm going to have to KNOW what these wires are actually connected to and the wiring diagram in the Clymer is making my head hurt - not to mention it may or may not be for the 75K (not listed specifically).

If there isn't a nice dummies wiring guide I may have to let my brain go as it's just not going to work out.

Here's another question while I'm at it. While threading the neutral indicator wires (that's what they are, yes?) the wires broke off at the clutch perch. How do I begin to fix that?

Edit: This is the Clutch/Starter safety intelock switch which doesn't seem to do much anyways as the bike still starts.

And the answer is... Bridge the connections in the bucket. If I can find them.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=48957.0

Operation Hapless in full effect

Edit:
Looking at the fiche it seems this can be replaced as a piece and not neccesarily soldered into the switch.
http://www.cmsnl.com/products/swassy-fr-stop_35340329003/

Edit: All manner of good electrical stuff in the FAQ
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1012.msg188242#msg188242

By god there IS a colored Clymer wiring diagram - Found here
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php#class

Also, how cool is this interactive wiring diagram? Granted it's a K1 but... sweet.
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/wiring750K1.html

Holy Smokes! I thought I was obsessive. Manuals, diagrams etc for just about anything... except Harley. Just jump back a dir if you want to see the list
ftp://manuals.homeftp.net:21//Manuals/Honda
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:55:24 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
My leaky petcock
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2009, 12:10:04 am »
Well, might as well run out every little wart as I do it. So the new (to me) black tank's petcock leaks but the tank doesn't.

Luckily I have the petcock that doesn't leak from the original tank that does. 1 + 1 = 1 and the original (after hitting it with the wire wheel - shiny) turns out to be in way better shape than the one in the black tank all the way around.

Had a little trepidation about whether there should be a seal/gasket or to use teflon tape when putting the petcock back on which got cleared up here
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=48482.msg510545

Just to save you some time if you were looking for the last word on the subject, TwoTired says in another thread

For certain, teflon tape is the wrong way to go.  And, if you use the white type it is attacked by hydrocarbons.  The yellow type is used for gas situations.  But, as I said, teflon tape is just the wrong application for the bung threads.  The seal is to be made against at the end of the tank bung, not the threads.

Which pretty much means screw the thing down and call it a day. Which is what I did - no leaks  ;D

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:34:55 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 12:16:18 am »
Speaking of leaks, either my tach seal is leaking or the valve cover gasket. I'm rooting for the tach seal myself.

Looks like a no brainer - we'll see  ::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:17:45 pm by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 12:28:13 am »
And finally, installed the stock master cylinder and bled the brakes. It's a neat fit (ganked from the FAQ) and, once everything is bled, spongy and has a very long throw. Almost to the grip. Think I'll buy a rebuild kit for the Katana MC as it fits the bars better and if I decide to just run steel braided down to the calipers and eliminate the pressure switch under the headlight bucket it has the electricals to let that happen.

The pièce de résistance of the day though is that as soon as I got the brakes bled I fell into the exact same problem the FAQ writer did

Firstly I fitted the caliper arm, and didn’t check anything. BIG mistake! What happened was, when I squeezed the front brake the caliper wasn’t parallel to the disc, and jammed the whole show up!!! I mean major drama just to get the caliper mount bolts undone so I could just move the bike.

Except, you know, I thought I checked. I'll have to look real close at what's going on there (right or left caliper jammed up) but it seems like I'll get to hit every gotcha I can before riding this bike.

So bring it. I've waited this long... ;D
Speaking of which - Explodo view of 91 Katana MC for reference cause the schematic is your friend

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:21:18 pm by Iggy »

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2009, 06:53:12 am »
Do the caliper brackets need their final adjustment? Isn't it like .004 or sopad clearence?
I started swappiny my forks last weekend only to find my left fork was leaking and didn't show it until I got the rubber boots off.... Oh well looke like I get to rebuild the forks and then finish the dual disc brakes.....NO MORE AND THEN!!!  :P :P
I will have to read back more and see what kinda stainless linea ya got, I 'm tryin to talk the wife into letting me get some....

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2009, 07:17:57 am »
Do the caliper brackets need their final adjustment? Isn't it like .004 or sopad clearence?
I started swappiny my forks last weekend only to find my left fork was leaking and didn't show it until I got the rubber boots off.... Oh well looke like I get to rebuild the forks and then finish the dual disc brakes.....NO MORE AND THEN!!!  :P :P
I will have to read back more and see what kinda stainless linea ya got, I 'm tryin to talk the wife into letting me get some....

Tell me about the final adjustment you speak of  ;D I thought you just slapped em in there and the piston would "adjust" them - assuming they were parallel to the rotor.

Gotta figure out how to measure these things reliably I think.

If you're getting the braided lines you may want to think about bypassing the switch and just running straight to the calipers. With them on the back of the forks it's a big mess o stuff running every which way. I picked mine up from a fellow in VA but they're made to fit with the calipers hung on the front side of the forks so there's some extra length in there.

It was about $70 for the 3 of them on eBay if you can't find somewhere local to get them and he's a member here on the forums; Shawn Pampadori. Might give him a shout and see if he'll knock together some custom lengths for you.

http://stores.ebay.com/Sling-Shot-Cycles_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

I think I have some pics. Tight and loose.

What I wouldn't give to only have fork seals left to go at this point  ;D